Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2008, 07:04 AM   #1
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to ttam
Things that go BOOM! In the night.

So I'm sitting in my Airstream about 8:30 last night, relaxing after a hard day at work...

When BAM! Sounds like a LOG fell on the trailer! So I tell the buddy I'm chatting with on my computer "hold on, something just fell on my trailer...", grabbed the lantern and walked outside.

Then I notice that everyone else in the campgroung is doing the same thing!

Nuclear blast? Is Tampa going up in a big mushroom cloud and we just haven't felt it yet? Space aliens? Space... Hmm... I wonder... How about... Space Shuttle?

Sure enough, the Shuttle landed at Canaveral at 8:39 PM.

Back to the boob-tube and chatting. Mystery solved. Anyone else have an experience like that?
ttam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Too cool. I would like to see a launch and recovery some time. The closest I have come to the seeing the shuttle has been the dishearting job of looking for pieces of Discovery as part of the recovery team in Texas.

Enjoy your permanent spot!

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Wow...I'm glad to hear it was the shuttle...

I thought one of Bates' trailers at the "Airstream Ranch" might have fallen over!

Whew!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
One of the greatest sounds is the BOOM of the sound barrier being broken. As a young boy, we often heard it, these days never unless you are near a base. During my flying days with the US Navy, a day was never complete with out at least one good gut pounding sonic boom!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
If you're ever in central florida, or along the eastern coast, night launches are clearly visible in the sky on mostly cloudless nights. I've never actually been to Canaveral for a launch, but just seeing the sky light up is very cool of itself.

And yes, I'm within sight of "Airstream Ranch". I didn't think to check to see if one of them had fallen over...
Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 AM   #6
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Oh one more thing - the buddy I was chatting with? He was in his house in Orlando and was doing the exact same thing that I was... what the heck fell in my roof? He kinda freaked out when he saw my message...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Last summer, I took a Boy Scout Troop backpacking at Philmont.
We were atop Mt. Philips one evening and heard an ever increasing roar.
We thought at first it was thunder, because there were storms in the area but it kept getting louder and louder - then DEAFENING.
It was a B1-B bomber flying LOW over the reservation with engines at full power to the utter delight of the kids!
That was pretty sweet, albeit NOT an AS moment.
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam
If you're ever in central florida, or along the eastern coast, night launches are clearly visible in the sky on mostly cloudless nights. I've never actually been to Canaveral for a launch, but just seeing the sky light up is very cool of itself.
I've never had the chance to see a night launch, but I watched it from the beach at New Smyrna one morning. We coud see the shuttle in the distance and there was a distinct roar and rumble. Too cool!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Ha! Thought I was the only one! Two summers ago, we were camping in Malibu Beach, CA. I was dreaming, and heard the boom in my sleep. I really thought we had blown up! Once I looked around and noticed we were still in one piece, I went back to sleep. It wasn't til the morning when I was talking to other campers that I realized that all of us had heard it, and pieced together that it was the shuttle landing in the desert.
Sure shook the place.

As a child, I remembered when the jets out of El Toro USMC would go supersonic over Irvine (pretty sure they were F-4's then)..... that's when there wasn't much out there for people to complain about.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam
Nuclear blast? Is Tampa going up in a big mushroom cloud and we just haven't felt it yet? Space aliens? Space... Hmm... I wonder... How about... Space Shuttle?

Sure enough, the Shuttle landed at Canaveral at 8:39 PM.

Back to the boob-tube and chatting. Mystery solved. Anyone else have an experience like that?
Way back when the SR-71 was doing it record setting run from the left to the right coast. I was sitting in my living room watching the tele. I heard and felt a large boom. I went outside looking for a leveled house from a gas explosion. Later that day when I was at work my friends asked me if I saw the SR-71 land. Then it hit me. It was the sonic boom from the aircraft. The route was centered just five miles from my house.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Come Visit Me!

If you stay at the Holiday Trav-L Park in Virginia Beach you're nestled between the Atlantic Ocean and Oceana Naval Air Station. When the pilots are doing "carrier qualifications" it's bone jarring. There's a couple of spots near the end of the runways where you can sit and watch the planes come in.

We sometimes joke about opening the windows so the pilots can fly through the Airstream on the way to the runway. It's a real eye-opener for a first time guest.

Most of the time it's a loud roar, but occasionally you will get that boom from a hotshot breaking the barrier.

Good spot to watch the Blue Angels fly too.

Paula
Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
This makes me think of what it must have been like for those campers who lost their lives as a result of the 1959 earthquake on the Madison River in Montana, just west of Yellowstone Park, when the mountain came down and covered much of the campground.

The earthquake began at 11:37 p.m. (mst), presumably shortly after most campers had gone to bed, and the epicenter registered between 7.3 and 7.5 on the Richter scale.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #13
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The last time I heard that was when the shuttle blew up. I was online on a car forum in the morning, heard that boom and was afraid one of my Dallas neighbors garage-mounted gas water heaters had blown up. I got out and walked the alleyway quickly with cellphone in hand. Turns out the shuttle had blown when it was several hundred miles away above Lubbock. Most of the pieces fell to earth east of Dallas in East Texas.

Growng up in Dallas we had nearby the air base CARSWELL SAC. Plenty of times in the early mid-60's we'd have some hotrod in a B-58 Hustler break the sound barrier en route to the East Coast. Remember being lined up on the elementary school playground when one shook past us. I told the kid behind me that a "hated" teacher had farted, "pass it back". Got caught, and went to the principals office.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #14
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
When I lived near Virginia Beach, we heard the military planes breaking the sound barrier all the time. After I moved to Tennessee, I heard what sounded like the same thing. Was watching the news later that night and found out that it was an earthquake in West Tennessee! Imagine my surprise!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 AM   #15
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
It's always a double boom with the Shuttle. We shook with it too last night.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by henw
It's always a double boom with the Shuttle. We shook with it too last night.

Tom
And it's not because it's traveling at mach2, it supposedly is from the leading and trailing edges each creating their own wave.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
We're camped in Pioneer park at Zolfo Springs, Florida and thought that a tree had fallen on the trailer. It sure shakes things up down here.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:31 AM   #18
Hondo was a great cat

2005 28' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Do you remember this?

Talking about big things making noise in the sky, when I was a teenager, there was this big thing in space called Skylab. It fell in 1979. There was a big bruhaha over where the thing would land, fortunatly Rural Australia took the hit. I imagine it made quite a racket when it came down. Does anybody else remember that?

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Aircraft and Night Sounds

When I was in junior high in the ’60s in Paris, Arkansas the Air Force was conducting very low-level flight training in that area. Paris is in the Arkansas River Valley and has an elevation of 430’ according to my Arkansas Aeronautical Chart. Paris is located about 10½ miles from the top of Mt. Magazine, the highest point in the state at 2979’. What you get is a mix of delta and neighboring mountains much like, say, Southeast Asia.

No sonic booms from the buffs, but they are very impressive aircraft at just 200 to 300 feet above you and put out a mighty roar. The abundant booms came from the F4s.

One other sound in the night story came from the monthly Good Sam publication back in the ’80s. The writer had arrived and setup after dark. He then retired for a pleasant repose after dinner and adult beverages. In the middle of the night he heard his water pressure up for no reason making that brief “bdrumph” sound we all know so well. He got up and checked and, sure enough, the pump was turned off. This kept happening through the night. Well, something else to work on in the morning. When he got up, he saw that there was a railroad crossing behind his campsite that he didn’t see in the dark. He had been hearing cars cross the tracks, not his pump.

Skylab, oh yeah, I remember that too. In fact I used to call my hook shot my Skylab instead of a Skyhook because once I put it up, you never knew where it was going to come down. Certainly nowhere near the hoop!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #20
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The night before the shuttle landing we had a great fly over view in Phoenix at around 8 PM. The shuttle had separated from the ISS and they could both be seen as separate objects in the sky. You can see when the ISS is going to be visible in your area from this website: Human Space Flight (HSF) - Realtime Data

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote