Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2004, 12:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
RV Storage

RV Storage,

OK, so you buy your AS RV, now where do you store it! Your may be lucky enough to be able to store in your driveway, or personal barn or outbuilding. My AS has caused me to go into the RV storage business! How may you ask? Well in the beginning, I was simply looking to purchase a small trailer that I could store in my garage. You know, one of those pop-ups less than 20’, so I could take out for overnighters to paint scenes in beautiful Oregon, and do a little camping here and there. I did my homework and found a hard-sided pop-up called Chalet. I showed my wife, and she said she would not spend more than a couple of nights in it! Then, when looking at RV’s at George M. Sutton RV in Eugene, OR, we saw our first AS! We instantly fell in love (dangerous) with the CCD, and decided to purchase one. After taking possession, I needed a place to store it, as our homeowners association does not allow RV’s stored at home. I’ve owned an old airplane hanger metal building behind my business for the last 10 years. The runway is no longer used as an airfield. I’ve used it for storing “my stuff”, and rented a few spaces over the years for miscellaneous things. The building was originally purchased tp control what happened there. It is 175’ long by 32’ wide, and the overhead clearance is 11’. So I figured I could store my CCD in this building, and maybe configure it to store more RV’s and generate a little income stream. A couple of phone calls in the area suggested there might be a demand for this type of business, as they were all full. I hired a contractor to reconfigure the walls, electrical, gutters, some of the doors, gravel lot, and perimeter fencing. I just finished reconfiguring the building for RV storage spaces. I hope to rent out spaces for anyone willing to cough up the rent money. Rent for spaces in the area varies from $65-$125/month, depending on amenities. Some of the amenities I have provided are perimeter fencing with locked main gate, 20 amp electrical outlets in each bay, two lights in each bay on timers, locked individual doors, and dump station with water. I don’t know what is considered important in RV storage of AS’s, or any other SOB for that matter. I think I have addressed all the concerns (Safety, Protection, Battery recharge, Dump station). Have I forgotten anything? Any ideas what a fair price for storage might be (I know it varies depending on area). What are the advantages of storing an AS, or any other RV under cover? Does it protect the RV enough to warrant the storage fee (I’m looking for reasons to convince people to store their RV here)? My phone add won’t go into the phone book until November, so need to get some newspaper adds in soon for folks looking for places to store their RV's this winter! Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2383.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	7970   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2384.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	7971  

Name:	DSCN2385.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	7972   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2386.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	7973  

Name:	DSCN2389.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	7974  

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 05:25 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Looks GREAT! Come on over to Maryland and I'll rent a space!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:04 AM   #3
Craftsman

A couple of lines in Airstream Life might not hurt.
Jack
Old 07-24-2004, 06:21 AM   #4
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Here in FL outside storage uncovered runs $30-50 a month in a locked but 24 hour accessible facility. If you want covered parking they charge by the foot and it runs $3 to 5 per foot. The amenities of power and a dump station are bonus. Most storage places I have been in do not offer these either.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 04:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I pay $180 per month for a 14'W x 40'L x 16'H self storage unit that has electricity, and cement floor. Considering all the weathering effects of leaving a trailer outside, I feel it's money well spent. There is also a shortage of these units in our area too.

John
Old 07-24-2004, 06:24 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Texas

I shell out $90/month for a 12'x40' roofed, lighted, concrete floored space in a fenced lot with code gate and security cameras. Some slots have 30a power for an additional charge, mine doesn't. I have 24-hour access which they give only to long-time occupants; most have access from 6am to midnight.

Here in Texas, my greatest fear is hail damage and I am storing the trailer in a known storm corridor. I figure the $90 is cheap hail insurance and will pay back in reduced sun damage to tires, curtains, and such. It also makes it bearable to work on the trailer in the summer months.

The adjacent storage building is pretty close and it takes some care to back into the space. I used to worry about someone backing into me while putting their RV away. Fortunately, I have a small motorhome on one side that pulls well into her space forward and several long-term stored automobiles on the other side. Now, I just have to worry about hitting them!
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 07:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Jim,

You are onto something.

Come to Santa Fe next.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 10:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Advantages of indoor storage...

- Hail and snow protection
- Rain protection, so no leaks to worry about... no floor rot, etc
- No fading of paint/stripes, or peeling of clearcoat on an AS
- No sun damage to curtains and upholstery, plastic parts, tires...
- Protection from vandals, thieves

I pay $40/mo for indoor storage with cement floor, but it's out in the country 25+ miles from my house. But must be saving that much or more in damage to the trailer.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:15 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Airstream storage

The best reason that I have for storing inside is "an RV parked outside on your lot says that you are home"---when the RV is gone it says that "the homeowner is not home and thieves can have a hayday. By the way, my A/S MH is exposed about 10 minutes during loading and driving away because I back it out of storage and snuggle up to the back door where it is unseen from the highway, pull forward, hook up the toad and drive away with minimum exposure. It has worked so far. Keeping fingers crossed. Question! If you use an off site storage and pull up to your front door to load are you exposed? Suggest having all of your loadout material ready at the front door to minimize your exposure to would be thieves.

Ernie and Jan
JanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 12:05 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanP
The best reason that I have for storing inside is "an RV parked outside on your lot says that you are home"---when the RV is gone it says that "the homeowner is not home and thieves can have a hayday. By the way, my A/S MH is exposed about 10 minutes during loading and driving away because I back it out of storage and snuggle up to the back door where it is unseen from the highway, pull forward, hook up the toad and drive away with minimum exposure. It has worked so far. Keeping fingers crossed. Question! If you use an off site storage and pull up to your front door to load are you exposed? Suggest having all of your loadout material ready at the front door to minimize your exposure to would be thieves.

Ernie and Jan
Great reasons for Storage! And good suggestions for loading your RV! Sounds like you have done this a time or two. Not to be nosy, but how often do you travel with your RV? If only a couple of times a year, should'nt be a problem. And if you load/unload in dark, even less of a problem.

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 07-25-2004, 12:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
Advantages of indoor storage...

- Hail and snow protection
- Rain protection, so no leaks to worry about... no floor rot, etc
- No fading of paint/stripes, or peeling of clearcoat on an AS
- No sun damage to curtains and upholstery, plastic parts, tires...
- Protection from vandals, thieves
Also great reasons for storage! Being a new AS owner, I've wondered how much weather takes its toll on exterior (and ultimately interior). I suppose the detoriation is the same for any RV (AS or SOB). Now I'm armed with some information to give for prospective renters. Who knows.....maybe I can make it an AS only storage facility! I personally know of 4 AS's in the area that are stored outside. I've considered printing cards to take to residences that I see with RV's parked in driveways to get the word out about my new storage facility. I may print up a list of reasons of "why store your RV" (gleaned from forum users). Thank you all for your knowledge and input, you have been most helpful!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 07-25-2004, 01:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Jim,

You are onto something.
X,

Which means............................................. .what? God knows I've sunk a lot of my retirement money into this project! And for what? Just know that I'm protecting my "own AS", and maybe a few other SOB's if anyone bites on the idea! Now for coming to Sante Fe! I've seen that there are some rallies scheduled near or in Sante Fe. Won't make the "Fiesta de Santa Fe in Sept, 2004, So will have to arrange a separate trip, maybe this winter sometime to rendevous. I guess it would take 4-5 days to drive, (taking my time) from Oregon. Anyway, you've been lots of help (and laughs) on this forum! Would love to visit you and the Sante Fe area again in our AS!

Jim & Cheryl

2017 28' Signature CCD

Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
Old 07-25-2004, 02:20 AM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I would assume that "deluxe storage" such as yours would be worth between $ 100.00 to $ 200.00 per month. The location is important.
I pay $ 60.00 for the 71 (outside, gravel lot) right now, during the restoration of the 63, because I don't have room for both in my warehouse.
It makes a HUGE difference if the trailer is stored inside or out. The washing and cleaning time alone is worth the difference in price. My trailer is filthy after being instorage for just a week. The 63 in the warehouse is till clean as a whistle.
Being able to plug in teh trailer to keep the batteries charged, keeping a pest repellent plugged on, and perhaps running the fans on automatic for a few hours a week is certainly a plus.
In Los Angels, this would be worth a mint. Not sure on Oregon's pricing.
However, I don't think you're going to have aproblem filling your spaces.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:21 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Great reasons for Storage! And good suggestions for loading your RV! Sounds like you have done this a time or two. Not to be nosy, but how often do you travel with your RV? If only a couple of times a year, should'nt be a problem. And if you load/unload in dark, even less of a problem.

Jim
Before retirement, about 6/7 weekend rallys per year. Now 3/4 weekenders with a longer trip to Internationals or just plain seeing this country, i.e., 2 months last fall and 2 months this summer with 2 more weekenders this summer and at least one double weekend for football games in "Cougarville" (Pulman WA) this fall and go south for winter, Cougars in the Rose Bowl again.
JanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:41 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Contract...Very Important

Make certain that you get a lease contract and require a security deposit too.

The contract should state that the leasor bears no responsibility for any damage that may occur while the RV is on the property. Also no responsibility for any stolen items and so forth. You never know what kind of nut will lease from you and you have to protect yourself from all angles.
The security deposit will help in case you get a deadbeat that dumps one on you. Although you can do like Public Storage and after a period of time auction off the contenets of a shed I don't know how this would work for a vehicle that is titled. Plus when this is done I have heard where the person that lost their stuff came back and set fire to the place............

Lots of nuts out there so protect yourself as best you can with a well written contract.

Your building looks great. If there is a lot of traffic in the area all you really need to do is put up a sign to let people know that your renting and put the phone number on it. That and the phone number inthe book will probably be all you need and it should fill up fast.
I am assuming that your stalls are 32ft from your previous post so that does limit it a little since some motorhome owners would like such a place to store their units, but I do thinkg a stall should be worth $150 anyway.

Good luck with your new venture!

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2nd Note

A good contract can probably be obtaind from any large public storage facility.

Just stop in and tell them that you are thinking of renting space and would like a contract to review before you proceed.

Good Luck!

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote