Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 AM   #1
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Porta-bote?

Well, the new canoe is not meeting our expectations; just too darn tippy with 3 plus dog. The tandem kayaks are much more stable. Problem is; I can either take along 2 tandem kayaks or a boat that can carry all 4 of us.
I am intrigued by the Porta-bote concept. Honestly, those of you that have them, are they stable and safe?
Will I be able to put 3 plus dog in a 14’ bote and be comfortable?
I would love some feedback before I lay down the $

Anyone want to buy a canoe?

Thanx, Bill
Old 08-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #2
Head Animal Wrangler

2010 19' International
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Osos , California
No thanks on the canoe...but I'm interested in the boat.

I have kayaks but they are too tippy for my dog to ride along.

Anyone?
BamCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Check out this reveiw. Porta-bote

I found one on eBay check it out.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Of course there are many hull configuration for canoes and kayaks. Our kayaks are very stable (recreational design). I can take 1 other person plus dog in the tandem kayaks no problem. I cannot however fit all 4 of us. I can fit 4 in the canoe, but is not nearly as stable (expedition design) as our kayaks. There are compromises (speed, stability, load capacity) for each hull type.I am thinking the porta-bote may be the answer. A friend has the smaller one (10’) which I am going to check out tomorrow, that will give me a good idea if it is the answer for our family.Still hoping to get feedback from porta-bote owners here?!

Thanx, Bill
Old 08-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
You can also check out their homepage, Porta-Bote
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:25 PM   #6
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A friend of mine had one at an outing of my fly fishing club. He was very happywith it's performance and attached an electric trolling motor on his. Notice in the picture how many people stopped by to help. More people does not mean less time to get it into the water.

Bonus points if you can identify the AirForums moderator in the picture....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0360.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	42380  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #7
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
I have read nothing but positive reviews on these neat little boats...now to convince the "purchasing dept"!

Bill
Old 08-03-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
You know what they say....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
I have read nothing but positive reviews on these neat little boats...now to convince the "purchasing dept"!

Bill
Better to ask forgiveness than permission!
Of course, that only works so many times.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:21 PM   #9
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
We have a 10' bote (only two of us & the DOG). It fits easily on the cargo racks atop our truck.
It takes about 20 minutes to set up, once you get the hang of it.
Although the bote is not as stable as an inflatable, it is better than a canoe!
There is a great users group on yahoo for the porta bote. If you search floor boards, you will find a member who makes the slatted boards - these boards make the deck a little easier to navigate.
The standard "free" oars that usually come with the bote are, well, marginal - many owners replace the oars & oar locks.
If you are looking at a used bote, the current incarnation is "generation IV" - this generation has a hard plastic transom & seats. The Generation III botes have plywood transoms & seats.
If you want a light weight, easy to transport boat, the portabote is the way to go!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:23 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Glad to see information on this, I asked for one for my birthday! I'd be interested to see how folks transport the botes when towing the 'stream.

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #11
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Tincrew -

Don't know if you can head up I5 to take a look at the portabote for sale on eBay in Oceanside - might give you a feel for the 14' size. (Also, some of the earlier Gen IV botes had problems with the plastic seats, which have reportedly been resolved.)

According to some stats from Portabote, the most popular size is the 12', for ease of handling & portability.

Unforturnately, unless there is a dealer or you know a friend with a bote, it's hard to judge just how big the bote is or what you can handle. We have the 10' and stow it on the roof rack of our Chevy x-cab, long box truck that has a canopy. With the two of us "older" folk, the 10' is portable and we manage to lift it up on the roof rack & tie it down without much effort.

Portabote does sell an RV mount - it is DEFINITELY for SOB'S!!!
Old 08-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Ponderay , Idaho
Wow, you gotta check with somebody in Canada for whats for sale in the 'hood! Thanks for the info. We have a Quad Cab p/u with a tonneau cover, so I'm thinking we will need a rack. Thanks for the info.

Leslie
Tincrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
No guesses on who is in the picture of post #6?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #14
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight
We have a 10' bote (only two of us & the DOG). It fits easily on the cargo racks atop our truck.
It takes about 20 minutes to set up, once you get the hang of it.
Although the bote is not as stable as an inflatable, it is better than a canoe!
There is a great users group on yahoo for the porta bote. If you search floor boards, you will find a member who makes the slatted boards - these boards make the deck a little easier to navigate.
The standard "free" oars that usually come with the bote are, well, marginal - many owners replace the oars & oar locks.
If you are looking at a used bote, the current incarnation is "generation IV" - this generation has a hard plastic transom & seats. The Generation III botes have plywood transoms & seats.
If you want a light weight, easy to transport boat, the portabote is the way to go!
As the 14' came out in 2004 can I assume they are all Gen IV?

Went for a ride in a friends 10' today...I am impressed. Pretty neat setup. More stable than I thought. I have run all kinds of boats in my life...still run a 40 Ocean out to the canyons fishing for sea monsters, this PB would be just the ticket for taking up North while towing the AS. Going to look at a second hand 14' tomorrow...
Thanx All,
Bill
Old 08-06-2007, 06:56 AM   #15
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Used ports-bote ?

Went to look at a (lightly) used 14'. Seems like the owner set it up
used it maybe once, then left it set up upside down in a boat rack at
the marina. Problem is, from being set up and left on that rack in the
sun, the gunnels have "bowed" out about six inches. I don't see any
structural damage, and everything still fits the way it should (seats,
brackets, etc). I suspect that if I fold it up flat and leave it in the
sun it should self correct? What do you think? I see very little sign
of use, more like neglect, it was just left there...I would like to
make an offer. Do you think leaving it in the sun, setup, could damage
the hull?

Thanx, Bill
Old 08-06-2007, 08:25 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Volcano , California
Purchased a Foldcat this spring, 12' pontoon style boat. The wife and I love this thing, very stable the two of us can pick it up and move it around. Put a trolling motor on it and can fish all day.

Zugbug
Zugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:42 AM   #17
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Bill,

Did the current owner leave the bote in that position all winter as well? The hull is made out of material that resists UV, so that shouldn't be a problem. We have friends cruising on their sailboat in the tropics & they leave their boat folded on deck, uncovered, with no adverse effects to the hull (yet).

The botes are really meant to be stored folded - we have left ours open & hung on boat davits for a month at a time - at the end of the month, the gunnels are "bowed out." Once we folded the bote, it did flatten out again. We feel that the gunnels are a weakness from this perspective; on the other hand, it's the flexibility of the gunnels that provide the positive aspects of the bote.

Honestly, don't know if it would come back to "flat" if it has been left open for ?????? months/years. Perhaps more informed answers can be found by searching the Porta bote yahoo users group. You can also get an idea about the price of a used 14' as well.

Good luck on your purchase!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:23 PM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight
Bill,

Did the current owner leave the bote in that position all winter as well? The hull is made out of material that resists UV, so that shouldn't be a problem. We have friends cruising on their sailboat in the tropics & they leave their boat folded on deck, uncovered, with no adverse effects to the hull (yet).

The botes are really meant to be stored folded - we have left ours open & hung on boat davits for a month at a time - at the end of the month, the gunnels are "bowed out." Once we folded the bote, it did flatten out again. We feel that the gunnels are a weakness from this perspective; on the other hand, it's the flexibility of the gunnels that provide the positive aspects of the bote.

Honestly, don't know if it would come back to "flat" if it has been left open for ?????? months/years. Perhaps more informed answers can be found by searching the Porta bote yahoo users group. You can also get an idea about the price of a used 14' as well.

Good luck on your purchase!
Yeah, he should have folded it flat...
Boat is actually listed w/broker (isn't that funny?!) so I have not been able to talk to the owner.
It appears to be 2005 model, so it is not that old...my guess, and the brokers, is that it has been stored on that rack, assembled, upside down, for a year.
I don't really see any damage, just a little deformation. I am also pretty sure that if I fold it up and leave it in the sun it will be fine.
I suspect the owner, owns one of the mega-yachts at the marina, may have bought the PB for a dingy? Didn't like it, and has pretty much forgot about it.I made a ridiculous offer today...we'll see what happens!

I did sign up for the yahoo group (s) but they don't seem real active? No responses yet after about a week...

Bill
Old 08-14-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
PB Update

Picked up the 14' PB the other day just before headin' North (5 days in NH-awesome!).

Wasn't prepared to take it with us just yet (no motor, etc) so I took the kayaks instead. But I really would have liked to try it up on Ossipee Lake. We rented a tin boat instead and had a ball.
Anyway, I went over the PB and everything looks fine. I left it out flat in the sun while we were gone and it appears to have straightened out. What a cool toy to have in our adventure quiver...the Wife, Son, and Dog will all be very comfortbale cruising around the lakes of New England.
Now I can have the kayaks, and a small power boat on all of our adventures!

For any of you considering one of these boats, they are very sturdy, stable, and of course, portable. What a perfect compliment to the AS.

Bill
Old 08-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Congratulations Bill,

Sounds like a great addition. I know you have wanted one for a while.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote