Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Not YET

We were all set we thought to have a 2 day trial run. My husband put air in tires and checked them only to find one has a 8" gash. Well we knew we were going to have to buy tires but we just really wanted to use this AS and check things out first. Not to be.
Not only that but the spare, is not the right size and can not be used.
We read over the tire information on forum and have a apt. at 1 today to replace tires. next we have to do brakes and Please.....can we be done...
We are planning to just go to Tampa now next weekend, and stay at lazy Days for a night. Just something to get it on the road, use it, check things out in travel and perhaps have a nice dinner.
We still plan to leave in June for summer and feel we are behind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 4-07 002.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	35436   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS 4-07 004.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	35437  

Old 04-10-2007, 07:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The road is always there and it goes on forever. Even when you sleep. It's a good thing when you feel you are on a long road -- tells you you're in the right place.

I suppose the spare is also mounted on the wrong sized wheel/bolt pattern?

You'll enjoy this so much. Congrats on following through!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Bill & Nancy:

Do I sense frustration??? I can't believe that you have that many problems with an 8-year-old trailer. "Chin up" - as the Brits would say. If the unit has been used regularly, the replacement tires and brake work (---probably just repacking the wheel bearings and adjusting the brakes) are fairly common maintenance items that may simply be overdue. If you read up on tires you know by now that - no matter the appearance of the tires - if they're the originals they're overdue for replacement (---the "5-year" rule.) The wrong size spare is peculiar - unless it was just inadvertantly switched while the trailer was on a dealer's lot??? Airstreams, at least thru 2000, didn't come equipped with spares as standard equipment. Strange, but true! What makes it the wrong size? The tires for a 1999 were most likely load range "D" - but your replacement tires will probably be "E." If that's the only problem with the spare (?) I would'nt worry about it.

From the interior shots of your trailer it looks like you have a very nice unit. When I bought my trailer the previous owner (PO) had run the A/C on low voltage and burned out the compressor. That's an even tougher pill to swallow than tires and brakes - since the "reverse cycle" A/C is one expensive piece of equipment! Make sure you buy one of the cheap little plug in voltage meters and check it religiously before firing up the A/C.

Hey - June is still a long way off! Living in Florida you should have plenty of time to get things ready. You have to sympathize with us "snowed-in" types in the North. We have to do our prep work for the season wearing our long john woolies! Also remember that things don't have to be "just perfect" when you pull out of the driveway. You'll probably enjoy doing a bunch of little repairs and updates once you're on the road. Fortunately, our trailers are somewhat forgiving of "tasks unfinished." They still provide us shelter and warmth while we work on them.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Lots of frustration. We thought it had just minor stuff, mis calculated. Unit had sat for 2 years without use.
We have tore out the carpet, replaced it wood. Unit had smokers prior to people we bought it from. We have steam cleaned all furniture, thrown away the mattresses, bought new, drycleaned curtains. Bins were midew/mold. they have had carpet tore out, cleaned, scrubbed, painted and new surface put in.
toilet line was leaking, replaced and toilet raised.
gas lines leaked and had to be replaced.
Show leak, only needed calking but had been leaking and caused water damage - minor, not major.
hinges on table broke, needed replacing and now that carpet was out height adjust had to be made.
tow bar was out of adjustment, alighnment, we think it is fixed but not sure, that is still a puzzle.
TV hooked up backwards not works.
I think our frustration comes from we have not spent a night in this yet. Having downsized from a motorhome, we are a bit nervous we won't even like TT life. Since we spend 3 months in the summer it will be interesting.
We just need to get a 2-3 days out to get our feet wet and it was dis apointing that we had to cancel plans and unpack. However we will try again next weekend. After new tires and a brake job.
I do have lots of symphathy for you Northern'ers, we came from Mich. and I am grateful every day I don't have snow and ice to deal with any more.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
It never ceases to amaze me how much damage people can, and will, do to something they paid so much for. I've seen my share of late model cars, boats and, yes, late model SOBs that were totally trashed. I've driven hundreds of miles, on occasion, to look at something that I was told was pristine, only to spend the return trip shaking my head in disbelief! I think that a lot of it has to do with easy financing offered to a lot of people who never learned how to save - and thereby "appreciate," or take care of anything. When your perspective is that this thing cost me $50,000, rather than $500 per month, I believe that it makes a real difference! There's also the other perspective where the seller has so much money they could care less.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
I'm still "not yet"

Oh me......I got a very good therapeutic laugh from reading your posts!!

Last May I purchased a 76 31ft Sovereign that I found up in Ohio. I brought it home and thought I would go camping in the Fall...after I fixed the few obvious things that needed replacing/repairing/cleaning.

It's now APRIL the next year! And I haven't been camping yet! Every time I get one thing fixed/replaced/cleaned......I find something else! My last major project (I hope) will be completed this Thursday...that is replacing the old carpet with new carpet and vinyl.

Now to the planning......what a hobby! Bill
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
I guess there are a lot of us in the same boat. We just re did 2 houses and just did not want another project. I did a lot inside but my poor husband has been working everyday on this for over a month.
Fortunately he can do the work.
I think after tomorrow we will be ready again to try a short trip.
WE start our summer at Perry so if we have any disasters at least we will have parts.