Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #1

Altus , Oklahoma
Need some light weight advice

Hello everybody I need help figuring out if an air stream would be good for me,I work in the oil refinery s so I travel a lot, I am about to buy a jeep to travel in and need a travel trailer that will be under 3800 lbs,so what I was thinking if I could find a stream for cheap or can find a gutted one, it would be great for me ,because me and my brother camp in hammocks and love it so if we could use the hammocks in the trailer that would save a lot of weight,by not having the beds,all I would like to have in the trailer is a shower and a toilet, so any suggestions would be very helpful thanks
Hanginokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanginokie View Post
Hello everybody I need help figuring out if an air stream would be good for me,I work in the oil refinery s so I travel a lot, I am about to buy a jeep to travel in and need a travel trailer that will be under 3800 lbs,so what I was thinking if I could find a stream for cheap or can find a gutted one, it would be great for me ,because me and my brother camp in hammocks and love it so if we could use the hammocks in the trailer that would save a lot of weight,by not having the beds,all I would like to have in the trailer is a shower and a toilet, so any suggestions would be very helpful thanks
Welcome to the Air Forums! I grew up in Altus, but I only spend about one week a year there anymore.

I suggest that you check the Air Forum classified ads.

I'm not sure most trailer walls or ceilings would support the weight of a hammock, where half of your body weight is concentrated at a single eyebolt at each end of the hammock. So unless you plan to use freestandling hammocks with their own frames, you might want to look for a trailer that has beds.

As for the suitability of a Jeep as a tow vehicle, I'll have to defer that issue to other responders.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Tell us more about what year/model of Jeep you have. thnxs
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
There are lots for Airstreams that come in under 3800 lb. I have a newer Safri Sport 17' that is about 3500 lb and is easy to tow. If you go back to the pre-1986 trailers with the narrow body you can find plenty that are under 3800 lb. You will need to limit your seach to trailers under 20' with the narrow body.
Don't limit yourself to gutted or trashed trailers. You can often find nice 70's or 80's trailers that are in pretty good shape. A little body damage will often cut the price of an older trailer but it will still be very servicable. Dented panels can be replaced if need be.
Also, pay attention to tounge weight. Your vehicle will list not only max towing but also max tounge weight.
Good luck with your search.
FYI - I found my first Airstream parked on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it. I bought it for $2500.00. We went coast to coast in that old trailer.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need some light weight advice

Greetings Hanginokie!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanginokie View Post
As has already been mentioned, a Vintage Airstream product 20-feet or less should be within your Jeep's trailer towing limit. The first two models that I thought of were the 1977-1979 Argosy Minuets in either 6.0 Metre or 6.7 Metre. My 1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre tips the scales at between 3,000 and 3,100 pounds ready to travel (about 2,500 pounds dry weight). The 6.7 Metre Minuet typically adds about 500 to 700 pounds beyond the 6.0. With a 6.0 Metre Minuet, you also have a rather high probability of finding one with composite aluminum floors that eliminate the concern about floor rot (the down side is that your floor covering choices are limited to either carpeting or floating laminate due to the rivets that attach the floor to the chassis). Either of the Minuets would typically have two sleeping areas . . . both convertible lounges . . . one across the front below the Panoramic windows and the other streetside. The Vintage Airstream Caravel, Globetrotter, and Caravelle (20 or 22 foot) would also fall within your towing limit for most model years.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote