Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #743
Airstreamer in Training
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Just sold my Carolina 14 the other day because I didn't like it. It had ZERO rocker and you almost had to get out and physically turn the thing to get it to change directions.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with, and having trouble finding something the size I want (sit inside touring above 14', and capable of carrying 325-350lbs) with a large enough cockpit for me to get into. I'm 6', 220lbs.

Any suggestions?
Santee 126 SPORT - Hurricane Kayaks - Lightweight Kayaks for Fishing and RecreationHurricane Kayaks – Lightweight Kayaks for Fishing and Recreation
__________________

__________________
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30' Recliner: Base weight 6422, GVWR 8800
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle: 6.2L, 403hp, 417 ft-lb., 4x2, 3.42 axle ratio, Max Payload 1573, Max Towing 8300.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #744
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,175
Images: 6
The wife and I just got a Jackson Big Tuna kayak. We have the Malone Saddle-Up rooftop carriers and they work quite well. I found some YouTube videos for the Big Tuna and my 4Runner, very happy about that.

What I'm not finding is a definite "proper" method of storing my kayak. Jackson (and some other manufacturers) say the best way is to store it vertically, that it puts less stress on the kayak. Well, the Big Tuna is 14' long and the garage ceiling is only 10', so that's out.

Hanging from the ceiling is supposed to be the worst way, but that's if you hook up the bow and stern. I haven't seen anyone make a cradle that suspends and holds the kayak. I was thinking about doing that but wanted an opinion.

I also thought about making a cradle on the floor, multiple supports, and sliding the kayak into that. But storing it flat or upside down is supposed to be bad too, although no mention about supporting it in a cradle.

Finally, the best alternate method is to store it off the floor, on its side, bottom against the wall and side in the cradle, supported by foam.

For now, because i have to leave for a week, I'm going to put it on the side, bottom against a wooden rack and put some memory foam under the side to provide a cushion.

I'd love to hear if any of you have a large fishing kayak and how you've supported it in storage. I'd also like to know if there are any stories of bad support strategies. Thanks for your help
__________________

__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #745
Rivet Master
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,313
Images: 4
You could use a tarp material to make a hammock for it, and sling the hammock from the roof, using one of the many systems to raise kayaks in that way: Kayak and Canoe Hoist | Ceiling Rack - StoreYourBoard.com
Nick
__________________
Nick Crowhurst, Excella 25 1988, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel. England in summer, USA in winter.
"The price of freedom is eternal maintenance."
nickcrowhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:15 PM   #746
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,175
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
You could use a tarp material to make a hammock for it, and sling the hammock from the roof, using one of the many systems to raise kayaks in that way: Kayak and Canoe Hoist | Ceiling Rack - StoreYourBoard.com
Nick
I think I'm going to need some kind of hoist. I got some web straps from Lowe's today and it took most of the afternoon to drill and hang them. These straps have to be done one by one; very slow. They are 1.5" wide and using 4 of them seems to do a nice job of supporting.

Thanks for the link, when I get back from an upcoming trip I'll have a project to get it stored with something more permanent.
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:54 AM   #747
Rivet Master
 
paiceman's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,434
Images: 1
I use large tie down straps from the trucking industry, can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes. I fasten to the bottom of our deck and slip the boats in them as a cradle. Hang there year round. Been that way for about five years, don't see any issues, but I do have cockpit covers for all the boats to keep stuff and animals out.
__________________
SAFE TRAVELS
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #748
Rivet Master
 
DaveFL's Avatar
 
2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,479
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Well, the Big Tuna is 14' long and the garage ceiling is only 10', so that's out.

I haven't seen anyone make a cradle that suspends and holds the kayak. I was thinking about doing that but wanted an opinion.

Thanks for your help
I made two cradles, covered the runners with outdoor carpets, one in in the back of the pickup and the other is suspended with a pulley system that I can lift it by myself. I can lower it to the level of the pickup bed and slide it.

Using runners that support the flat area of the bottom has to be the best way not to deform the yak when stored for a long time.

Besides length from open garage door you will use up about 4 ft of your air space, I am less than 6ft so it works for me
__________________
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #749
3 Rivet Member
 
indy's Avatar
 
1962 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
kansas city , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 195
Images: 22
Blog Entries: 1
Jackson Cuda 12 new to me june 2015
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	242325
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:00 AM   #750
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,175
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
I made two cradles, covered the runners with outdoor carpets, one in in the back of the pickup and the other is suspended with a pulley system that I can lift it by myself. I can lower it to the level of the pickup bed and slide it.

Using runners that support the flat area of the bottom has to be the best way not to deform the yak when stored for a long time.

Besides length from open garage door you will use up about 4 ft of your air space, I am less than 6ft so it works for me
Thanks, Dave. Can you snap a picture of the garage setup and post it here?

I'm thinking of 3 different approaches.
1 - What you did, build a cradle for the kayak to lay on its bottom, use a hoist on the 4 corners to raise it up to the ceiling (I have 10' ceiling in the garage).
2 - Make a sling system to hang it with bottom against the garage wall. Use a pulley system to raise and lower it. The wall it needs to go on is either exactly as long as the kayak or just short of it. It's going to be close.
3 - Make a cradle so the kayak lays on its side or bottom, the cradle is on wheels to let it roll underneath a storage area. I'd have to take the kayak out the garage side door and bring it around to the front. This would be a pain in the winter, getting ready for the Florida trip.

I'd like to do option #1 but everything I've read says that letting it lay on its bottom is the worst position. The second best is on its side.
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #751
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,175
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I use large tie down straps from the trucking industry, can be purchased at Home Depot or Lowes. I fasten to the bottom of our deck and slip the boats in them as a cradle. Hang there year round. Been that way for about five years, don't see any issues, but I do have cockpit covers for all the boats to keep stuff and animals out.
Thanks, that's what I did yesterday. I got those yellow straps (see above picture) from Lowes. They're 16' long and 1.5" wide, $19 per set of 2. It's supporting it quite nicely but it's a pain to raise and lower. I need some kind of lifting system. I'm thinking of something like those chain pulleys for garage doors.
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #752
4 Rivet Member
 
samb's Avatar
 
1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 451
Images: 11
I use a boat trailer winch for a canoe hoist in my barn. The winch is fastened to the wall/post. I have two cables attached to the winch drum which lead parallel up to the ceiling to two pulleys. From there the two cables split to two more pulleys on the ceiling spaced apart to support the canoe closer to the ends. The ends of the cables are fastened to horizontal bars that support the canoe upside down.
I can load and unload the canoe from my pickup by just turning the winch handle.
Should work fine for a kayak, also.

Sam
__________________
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #753
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,175
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by samb View Post
I use a boat trailer winch for a canoe hoist in my barn. The winch is fastened to the wall/post. I have two cables attached to the winch drum which lead parallel up to the ceiling to two pulleys. From there the two cables split to two more pulleys on the ceiling spaced apart to support the canoe closer to the ends. The ends of the cables are fastened to horizontal bars that support the canoe upside down.
I can load and unload the canoe from my pickup by just turning the winch handle.
Should work fine for a kayak, also.

Sam
The dealer said rotomolded kayaks cannot be stored by connections at the bow and stern. The plastic will bend and warp. They said the best way is to store on its end but I don't have the room. The boat crank might still be doable, however, if I can make some kind of cradle. Thanks for the tip, definitely cheaper than some of the other things I've looked at.
__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #754
Rivet Master
 
TCwheels's Avatar
 
2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 553
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
The dealer said rotomolded kayaks cannot be stored by connections at the bow and stern. The plastic will bend and warp. They said the best way is to store on its end but I don't have the room. The boat crank might still be doable, however, if I can make some kind of cradle. Thanks for the tip, definitely cheaper than some of the other things I've looked at.

I have stored my first two Wilderness System kayaks from straps anchored to the garage wall, this has worked well for 15 years. Pain to load - they're stacked one above the other. The new WS Aspires are hanging from the ceiling, hooked to bow and stern. Having been in the plastics industry, I agree with the warning not to hang this way! These kayaks are short and very rigid so I've not experienced any miss-shaping of the hulls after a couple of years, but I will convert my system to straps holding the hulls. Better for the long run.

Thanks for the reminder!
__________________
"Don't let perfect be the enemy of better."
TCwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:16 AM   #755
2 Rivet Member
 
2015 30' Flying Cloud
Westport , Connecticut
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 55
Images: 1
Yay Kayakers!!! I am debating whether to pile my 14' kayak on to the truck for our 10 month journey. It's a shame to put it into storage!!!

Your kayaks are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! The wood...sigh, so beautiful! Thanks for sharing and starting this thread!

Kira
__________________
KiraR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #756
Rivet Master
 
richw46's Avatar
 
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,175
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraR View Post
Yay Kayakers!!! I am debating whether to pile my 14' kayak on to the truck for our 10 month journey. It's a shame to put it into storage!!!

Your kayaks are GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! The wood...sigh, so beautiful! Thanks for sharing and starting this thread!

Kira
We got ours to take on the road with us since we can't take the bass boat. Our last trip was to Florida for a month, surrounded by water and no boat. We rented a canoe but it's not the same. I've gone just 35 miles with it on the roof of the SUV but it seems pretty stable. We intend on trying it out locally several times then take off this fall.
__________________

__________________
-Rich

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kayak


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kayaks and bikes jordandvm Off Topic Forum 42 02-26-2009 10:12 PM
kayaks zduke4x Off Topic Forum 22 02-26-2009 09:54 PM
How many Airstreams are out there? Andy R Our Community 13 12-09-2007 06:20 AM
Airstreams - they're everywhere! Foiled Again Our Community 1 02-01-2005 04:11 PM
Where 'O where are the airstreams at.... till Our Community 3 02-09-2004 06:31 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.