Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Ideas for Shipping parts

Well the time has come to start "parting with the parts" that we will not be needing.

Instead of going to e-bay I thought I would start here first.

We will have some vintage parts from our 61 Overlander and lots of Parts from the 1999 28' Classic as well as a few parts from an 87 30' and 89 32' Excella.

Not going to list it all at once - just a few at a time so that I can keep up with the shipping.

The reason for my post - is the issues with freight as there will be a lot of "large" items available.

Does anyone have any good ideas on shipping frieght items (anything bigger than a bread box these days) From Canada To USA - no problems in country but when we cross the border the price doubles and in some cases triples.

I would be willing to drive into the bordering States like Vermont, New York, Ohio and Michigan - tops an 8 hour radius keeping in mind gas prices - ouch (we are located in Central/East Ontario). I could ship or people could pick up from a predetermined location.

Also I thought since we have had so much help from these forums over the past 3 years we would give you all a kick at the can first. Then see how we did at listing in say Regions 1 and 2. Then as a last resort put any remaining items on e-bay.

If anyone is looking for something specific from any of the above models - please send me a PM.

In the interim I will start posting items to the Classified, once I get all the photos of each item sorted out.

Any help you can provide on economical frieght services would be greatly appreciated - or if there is anyone out there that I could drop off items to for a bit of Pocket money to help me ship within USA
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Inverness , Florida
Hello Peter & Sharon,
If you ship try using DHL they are a lot cheeper and faster than UPS. They pick up at your home also..they can carry a very large size box...
Bobchevy89
bobchevy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Big Stuff like....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobchevy89
Hello Peter & Sharon,
If you ship try using DHL they are a lot cheeper and faster than UPS. They pick up at your home also..they can carry a very large size box...
Bobchevy89
So does it all have to be boxed? Like Stove/Ovens - Tall 60's Furnace and Under Bumper Compartment Drawer from the 99 and things like that?

What about an Awning (I got a quote from a company DHL(actually - cause I thought they were into frieght) referred the shipment to - and they wanted $1200usd to California - ouch)

[Italic]Note: I can not release it until after the 31st as I gave my word to someone - but they are on holidays right now and have not heard what the shipping cost will be. With the shipping charges he may be better of buying a new one! but will post in the classifieds if the awning becomes available - but we are definitely selling it decided that we will get a vintage custom one made for the Overlander when the time comes - (solid blue with the Airstream on the flap - Zip Dee and all hardware intact.)[/Italic]

Thanks Bob I will check them out next week once I get some weights and dimensions on some of these items.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:38 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Peter and Sharon,
One possiblity is to see if any other forum members/wbcci etc are going across border and would mind dragging something along for a fellow member...sort of a Airstream freight company if you will. Not an easy thing to coordinate but it might work. Our company does it all the time, we have offices in NY, VA, and NC. Typically something will leave the office in NY, be handed off to one of the VA crews, then the NC crews and eventually make its way to SC where I am working. Time wise...not the most efficent, but on bulkier stuff it is cheaper than crating and freight. Also on freighting stuff watch out for the "fuel surcharges" I just got wacked on a partial load and the fuel surcharge was almost as much as the freight charge

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Peter and Sharon,
One possiblity is to see if any other forum members/wbcci etc are going across border and would mind dragging something along for a fellow member...sort of a Airstream freight company if you will. Not an easy thing to coordinate but it might work. Our company does it all the time, we have offices in NY, VA, and NC. Typically something will leave the office in NY, be handed off to one of the VA crews, then the NC crews and eventually make its way to SC where I am working. Time wise...not the most efficent, but on bulkier stuff it is cheaper than crating and freight. Also on freighting stuff watch out for the "fuel surcharges" I just got wacked on a partial load and the fuel surcharge was almost as much as the freight charge

Aaron
Thanks for the heads up on the gas surcharge...

I am hoping that the items go to people all within a certain radius - and I am more than willing to do a road trip to drop them all off - but we shall see. I guess people will have to be patient.

But you know us Airstream fanatics we will drive to the end of the earth for something if we want it bad enough - Louisianna was the furthest we went for the Trailer that is. Our friends went that far to get a Coucho Couch!!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Yes .. some people will make road trips for any gaucho.. first one to Texas and the second to Louisiana.. and did not even keep either trailer.. but we will not say who they were.. lol.. Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 07:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hmmmmmm what on earth did you go to Texas for????
Old 08-01-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
The reason for my post - is the issues with freight as there will be a lot of "large" items available.

Does anyone have any good ideas on shipping frieght items (anything bigger than a bread box these days) From Canada To USA - no problems in country but when we cross the border the price doubles and in some cases triples.
We've been in the same situation with buying and selling large items, usually across the border. When buying I usually just make the trip if it's within a day one way, of course that's not so easy now with the way gas prices are.

I'll be selling off a lot of items from Smokeless Joe's Argosy in the next month. I'm hoping to list everything on Ebay around the same time and maybe be able to group some of the large items together to make a trip worthwhile. Not sure how this will work as it can be complicated to arrange. Maybe we could work something out between us for a delivery if we had enough stuff going to the same area.

I just recently found a web site called uShip (http://www.uship.com/). It hooks up people who have things to ship with people who can take a shipment. Anyone have any experience with uShip? I've never tried it, and unfortunately it appears to be for the US only so you might still have to get stuff to the border.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Peter and Sharon,
One possiblity is to see if any other forum members/wbcci etc are going across border and would mind dragging something along for a fellow member...sort of a Airstream freight company if you will. Not an easy thing to coordinate but it might work. Our company does it all the time,

Aaron
What a great idea. This could be co-ordinated through a thread on the forums. With forum members travelling throughout the U.S. and Canada I am sure we can work this out.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Another forum member suggested DHL when I shipped 100 lbs. of brake drums and parts to him. The service was good and it was about 1/2 the price of UPS.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
DHL is coming on strong. Not sure how long they can keep prices that low but I too like them. Another company worth looking into is Watkins. They specialize in larger freight items.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
LAST CALL - heading to E-Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Well the time has come to start "parting with the parts" that we will not be needing.

Instead of going to e-bay I thought I would start here first.
Last call on the parts we have listed in the Classifieds. They will stay up until the end of the day and then I will be removing all our ads.

PS on the management of the Classifieds - I thought if you put a timed number of days listing - at the end of the time frame the ad would be removed. Could I have done something wrong?