Old 10-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
When Airstreaming around the country we use our bikes a lot, wouldn't leave home without them. Many state and national parks have paved or hard paths and are building more. Many former railroad beds through the countryside are now trails. Many cities have dedicated trails. We avoid routes that share bike paths with heavy traffic, or narrow shoulders.

I would recommend a lightweight, aluminum frame with large, somewhat high pressure tires and high quality shifting mechanism and brakes on any bike for easy use. Road bike, upright, recumbent or mountain bike to fit you and your use; we travel with decent all-around bikes that can take some weather, same ones for 8 years and are in excellent condition. Have always carried them outside where they are easy to access. We have quality recumbents as well for long, long rides in comfort. You will want to use them if they are enjoyable and always at hand.

Some places are better than others. Last spring they were excellent in Yosemite valley, not as good at Grand Canyon because of heavy traffic. I am 68, there is no better way to see a lot of area and stop to explore or hike, or simply go to the store. Very pleasant and has health benefits.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #30
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
we've both been bikers for many years. I commuted to work on Cape Cod year round on my Klein Mountain and Quantum. I've owned Trek, Cannondale, Klein, Univega, and a plethora of low end junk.
For Airstreaming, I bought two of the Montague folding bikes two years ago. We start and finish our yearly hurricane season expeditions in Fort Collins, and the place is rich with bike paths. So our bikes immediately started getting a lot of use.

I don't feel that a few pounds of frame weight make any real difference in this kind of cycling. And two Montagues are 64 lbs, NOT 80 lbs. The difference between a 26 lb bike and a 32 lb bike is diddly. I immediately hook up a doggie cart with a Jack Russell terrier in it behind the bike, and that's towing another 50 lbs around town. What do two water bottles, a took kit, a pump, and a spare sweater weigh? I think the only place weight makes much difference is in the wheels, and that's because of the inertia of what will be rotating weight. Once it's rolling, doesn't that work for you? Heavy gyroscopes work better than light gyroscopes. If you bike for exercise, isn't weight training a good thing? I know I friggen FLY when I disconnect the 50 lbs of dog and cart. That folding steel Montague turns into instant Gossamer bike .

Our only real issues with the Montagues is fit. I think they would be okay for someone under something like 5' 10 or so. I've had to change stem and seatpost and the seat to make mine tolerable for long rides. I wouldn't buy another one. I'd buy a non-folding bike that fits my height and put it on a receiver hitch on the front of the truck. I'd store the two bikes inside the trailer when it's in storage.
If anyone in the northern Colorado area is interested in the Montagues, I have two in perfect condition. They're fine bikes if you're less than six feet tall.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:32 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Weight is important to me when riding uphill and lifting the bike onto it's carrier. I commuted to work on the Calif coast for years, the lighter the bike the more enjoyable.

Wind is the real enemy though and a good reason to use road bikes and recumbents, and choose a route against the wind starting the ride.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:01 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have an original built-in-Iowa by Kann MFG. folding Linear recumbent. That thing is 8' long- still 4' x 4' when folded!
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #33
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I've always been interested in the recumbent designs, but they scare me being that low, i.e. below the window level of people in things like my tow vehicle.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The recumbents ar low, we seldom if ever use them in city traffic or other bikes either for that matter. Not the greatest for steep hill climbing because you don't have your weight to help push the pedals. They are great for paved trails, the reduction in wind resistance is remarkable and the seating position eliminates sore butts and numb hands. Very comfortable even after 100 miles, that's what we like.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Actually, on my recumbent, I am riding at the same height as people in cars.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-05-2014, 06:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412550429.971341.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	665.5 KB
ID:	223719

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412550454.054455.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	732.4 KB
ID:	223720

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1412550476.074714.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	862.2 KB
ID:	223721
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 10-09-2014, 03:47 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We found a local bike shop that specializes in folding bikes. Their most compact models are "Brompton" custom bikes that are hand-made in the UK. I think these are the ones you see people carrying on airlines. When folded, they pull along like wheeled luggage on special miniature wheels (not the ones that you ride on); and they are small enough to stow in an overhead luggage bin -- well-made, but expensive. (I thought I had sticker shock looking at new bikes, but some of the Bromptons cost three to five times more than the Montagues; i.e., several thousand dollars.)

In any case, after reviewing the posts in this thread, and obtaining additional advice from AirForums member "Gringo" and our son (who used to ride in multi-day, long-distance bike races), we bought two Montague, full-size, folding mountain bikes -- a "Paratrooper" and an "X-50". They both have full-size 26" wheels and knobby tires, and each folds down to about 36x28x12 inches. While they will displace quite a few items in the bed of our pickup, I think these will work great for us on the road. Both models are well-suited to riding on graded gravel/dirt roads in most campgrounds, and on relatively easy, groomed trails in most national parks and national forest areas, where bikes are permitted. Also, we are looking forward to riding on extensive, paved bike paths like the ones at Zion NP, Lake Mead NRA, and in many small towns and large cities.

Thanks to all who relayed their personal experiences and advice. We are complete biking novices; but with your guidance, I think we have found good value in the sturdy bikes we chose.

============

Link to illustrations of the bikes we bought: Montague | Portapedal Bike

Note: I have no affiliation with Portapedal Bike, Inc., other than being a satisfied customer.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I have 2 Bromptons. Got them from PortaPedal in Phoenix which I believe is where you went. They were the only bikes I could comfortably fit in the rear of my Interstate, that also folded easily. They were by no means the cheapest in the store, but it seems quality always comes at a price. The main advantage of these bikes is that we can and do take them everywhere, even in our car. So we never say we wished we had the bikes. As for ride quality, it's better than most. We're happy with our choice. One amusing downside is that we're always being asked to demonstrate the folding.
Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-11-2014, 12:50 PM   #39
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
I'm pushin' 60 and I'm about 6'5" tall. As Aaron (WAHOONC) can tell you, I'm a folding bike lover, ....

Roger

Hey!!! Roger sighting!!!!
how've you been?

We had this discussion 5 years ago, and I went with a Downtube, and it has worked out ok.
Murphy was thinking of me, specifically, when he created his law. I bought this folder because I was doing a commuter-rail commute to work, and the train station is 1.25 miles from the office...there is big-city public transit, but its not a direct path from the train station to the nearest stop to the office, and it took a long time to get there, as a result. But there was a direct, low-traffic, flat bicycle route. So I started doing that, and I was just getting in the swing of car/train/bike commute, when the job came to an abrupt end. (It was a "temp" job, but it was also supposed to turn permanent.).
Anyway, not a great loss, because I knew I would also use the bike when camping...and I have.
The thing about the Downtube is that it is a good value...cheap, but many if not most of the replaceable parts are decent quality, name-brand items. Haven't had any problems with it...but it has been fairly "light" use.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote