Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
How Do U Bring Bikes Along?

When camping with your A/S, How do you bring along your family's Bicycles? Our tow vehicle is a Chevy Tahoe, and the back with Dogs and other gear and future plans is full. The obvious answer for us is some type of Yakima rack either for the top of our Tahoe or having a hitch reciver put on the back of the A/S and putting some type of add on bike rack there. We just need room for 2 adult and another progressively getting bigger kids bike, maybe some extra space if the ever growing child brings a friend along. Does anyone have any other idea's or suggestions? Something you've done or seen?
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Steve,

You'll see many opinions on mounting anything on the back of an Airstream trailer. Basically it's a no-no because of how an Airstream is designed. Your best bet is a rack on top of the Tahoe, IMHO.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:19 PM   #3
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
everyone here seems to say that you should not mount anything on the back of the trailer; it isn't designed to handle the extra weight hanging off the back.

A roof rack would be one option. I've also seen bike racks that attach to the draw bar on your hitch, by wrapping around it, rather than being inserted into the reciever. so you can have a bike rack, + tow a trailer.

you could also probably put a couple of bikes inside the trailer...
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Send a message via Yahoo to jjonesnc
Put a reciever hitch on the front of the tow vehicle and put one of the bick racks on it that is used for reciever hitches.
jjonesnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well I do plan to put a reciever on the front I HATE bikes up there. The reciver will be for moving the trailer and hide behind the front tag. Once you have had a front reciever and used it to move a trailer...never want to do it any other way. You can easily put it anywhere you want.

We have a Cargo master rack with some Yamika style racks in it. Gas can rack for generator and a EU2000 will also make their way up there once we buy them. It is not recomended to put a bike rack on the back of the camper. Oure had the spare back there factory but we are moving it. We may still carry the reciever rack because it is easier to deal with when the coach is not hooked up.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:42 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
West Hartford , Connecticut
We load 4 adult size bikes and 2 child size bikes right in the trailer when we are ready to hitch up. We make sure that they are secure in their position so that they do not move and dent or puncture any appliance or cabinet. So far it has worked really well.
beachmpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmpk
We load 4 adult size bikes and 2 child size bikes right in the trailer when we are ready to hitch up. We make sure that they are secure in their position so that they do not move and dent or puncture any appliance or cabinet. So far it has worked really well.

I'll probably do this, too... My bikes are kinda pricey and in addition to things like rain and other elements, don't want them to be where someone might decide to "help themselves" if I'm not looking.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I had been thinking for some time about getting a front end mounted receiver, and using it for my bicycle or my 110cc Honda Trail, if I ever take it with me.
Mostly, I put my bikes in the back of my truck now.

However, I never thought about using a front mounted hitch to move the trailer. What a good idea!! Yesterday, I was putting my SOB in my storage garage (my new Airstream is still a month away from being built!) and having a dickens of a time seeing into the dark garage as I was backing up. I think it would be a snap to back my trailer in with a front mounted reciever. Since a Reese front mounted receiver is relatively inexpensive, I think you just justified me getting one!! (My wife will especially thank you!!!!)

John
Old 04-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

We carry ours in the back of the pickup truck. Obviously that is no solution for those of you with SUVs, but I mention it because the new crew cab trucks are a viable option for those with families when it comes time to buy new.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tug.JPG
Views:	518
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	5619  
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:26 PM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I've seen people move small utility trailers with front-mounted hitches, but I can't imagine doing that w/ the airstream. I would think you'd be too close to the trailer to be able to see anything at all around it. at least when you're backing, your eyes are far enough away that you've got some angle w/ the mirrors to see around the sides of it. can't see much, but you can see "some". better than "none". with those flat-bed, landscaping/utility trialers...you can see over it, or right on through it. not so much w/ a camper...

of course, don't listen to me; I've never actually tried it. if those that have think its a good thing, then by all means, go for it.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
folding bikes

We've been looking into those since our bikes are no longer new. And will still have enough room for the dog and crate in the back. That way if we don't "know" specifically that we are going to ride them we will not hesitate to bring them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood
When camping with your A/S, How do you bring along your family's Bicycles? Our tow vehicle is a Chevy Tahoe, and the back with Dogs and other gear and future plans is full. The obvious answer for us is some type of Yakima rack either for the top of our Tahoe or having a hitch reciver put on the back of the A/S and putting some type of add on bike rack there. We just need room for 2 adult and another progressively getting bigger kids bike, maybe some extra space if the ever growing child brings a friend along. Does anyone have any other idea's or suggestions? Something you've done or seen?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:13 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Rack on the rear

First, thanks for all the quick replys.

I had heard that you shouldn't hang any weight on the rear of an AS because of rear separation/sag. Then I stumbled upon the following pictures posted by an AS dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream receiver #1.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	5622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream receiver #2.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	5623  

1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:19 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
everyone here seems to say that you should not mount anything on the back of the trailer; it isn't designed to handle the extra weight hanging off the back.

A roof rack would be one option. I've also seen bike racks that attach to the draw bar on your hitch, by wrapping around it, rather than being inserted into the reciever. so you can have a bike rack, + tow a trailer.

you could also probably put a couple of bikes inside the trailer...
We regularly haul two adult beach cruiser inside our trailer with no ill effects. You may want to put something on the upholstery,like an old towel or blanket, to guard against grease from the chain.
Terry
Old 04-01-2004, 05:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 31' Classic
Golden Valley , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Heywood
First, thanks for all the quick replys.

I had heard that you shouldn't hang any weight on the rear of an AS because of rear separation/sag. Then I stumbled upon the following pictures posted by an AS dealer.
Andy won't like that!

That is exactly what I am thinking of doing. However the wheels are a good idea also.
Roger & Roxie (rore62) Smith (Air#178 - WBCCI#1646)
On the road!
2012 31' Classic - Nuestra casa rodante
Blog: https://www.casarodante.org - Old Airstream slides: https://airstream.casarodante.org
casarodante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:51 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Los Angeles , California
I have a reciever hitch mounted to the back of my AS, attached to the spare tire rack. I bought a yakima rack for our two mountain bikes (only one now....continue reading), that fit into the reciever hitch, attached our mountain bikes, and off to Sequoia we went. Along comes a truck on the freeway, with his window rolled down yelling "your bike just flew off the back!"...

Drove back to find it on the freeway, and someone had been quicker that me, now I'm one bike short. Apparently what happens, when you roll over any bump, the motion is accentuated like a whip to the rear...and wham bye bye bikes. It was strapped on very well with bungees also.

We will eventually get another bike, and this time go with the roof mounted yakima system, on the top of our Expedition.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:57 PM   #16
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Bikes

We carry LOTS of bikes... sometimes as many as five. I have carried them in the X in the past, but my GT is just too big to carry comfortably inside. After my locked Diamondback was stolen off my locked Yakima roof rack several years ago in Reno, I carry them inside. I think that this year they'll get carried inside the trailer. I bought a Giant Halfway folder this winter and I'll see how I like it.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 06:34 PM   #17
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
We use some simple Yakima fork mounts behind the cab of my truck. If you look close enough at my icon picture you can see them. If the photos section was up and running i would link to it. Sure, we only have a couple bikes and lots of room to work with, but it sure looks good going down the road.

We all know thats what its about.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

"I had heard that you shouldn't hang any weight on the rear of an AS because of rear separation/sag. Then I stumbled upon the following pictures posted by an AS dealer."

I see nothing in those photos that would prevent the suspended weight from causing rear separation. I also see a tail much more likely to drag and fold a crease right across the back of the coach.

I could be wrong, of course. On the other hand, anyone who thinks "dealer installed" and "factory approved" means the same thing is living in a fool's paradise.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:47 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
We bought a ford E 350 chateau from an airstream enthusiast and a bike dealer. He has racks on top of the van and said never put them (the bikes) on the airstream trailer, especially the back. silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:04 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
Steve:
We've used Yakima racks on our Tahoe for years and they work well. We use the type that secures the bike by clamping onto its downtube. This is easier to use than the front fork attachment which requires you to remove and separately store the front wheel. Either way, the clamps can be locked for at least some security.

Although bikes mounted this way are subject to getting hit by bugs, they actually remain cleaner than if they were hitch mounted and exposed to thrown up road grime. In addition, having bikes secured on the roof means that they are safe, not getting banged around, and out of the way.

We've also stored bikes in our trailer, but only in a pinch. Even when being very careful, it's almost impossible to avoid dinging cabinetry or getting chain lube on upholstery. It's not terribly healthy for the bike either.

The Tahoe is tall, so you'll need to carry a step-up or something similar to reach the bikes. Additionally, because you'll be holding bikes over your head when loading or unloading, you should have someone stand behind you for support should you begin to lose balance.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote