Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Engineering position

My little brother recently graduated from St Louis University w/ his degree in Aerospace Engineering...having heard alot of airstreamers also have a passion for aircraft or aviation, anyone have advise I can give him on getting a job in the field?

He has been putting aplications out there, and has taken several part-time jobs to make ends meet until the big one comes along. I've told him not to limit his applications to Aerospace...he is an Engineer, with a few extra classes in Aerospace.

Any advise would be appreciated.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
What about Airstream, Inc.? Couldn't hurt to send them a resume.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:04 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Londonderry , New Hampshire
Have him try Boeing in St Louis. They do much more than just commercial aircraft. I know that the support for the F/A-18 aircraft is based there.

Or if he is interested in relocating to New England, I could put his resume in where I work at Textron. Just send me a PM.

Keith Allen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engineering Career.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	66554  
LoydBonifide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I work for the U.S. Navy as an engineer at the Dahlgren Naval Weapons Laboratory in Virginia. They are always looking for Aerospace/Electrical/Mechanical Engineers for R&D on new missiles, fire control and munitions. An example is the Aegis/SM-3 Block 2A missile that shot down that dying satellite in February.

Patauxent River Naval Air Station is also nearby in So. Maryland where they test new naval aircraft like the F-35B Short Take-Off and Vertical Landing (STOVL) Attack Fighter. There are plenty of Government and Contractor positions.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi zamboni,

Both Dassault Falcon Jet Dassault Falcon engineers, manufactures and supports high performance corporate and business jets with innovative design and state-of-the-art technology backed by superior customer service. and Hawker/Beechcraft Hawker Beechcraft | Home (Hawkerbeechcraft, Business Aircraft, Beechcraft) here in Little Rock are constantly looking for help at all levels. CATIA experience would be a huge plus with Dassault.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
take the EIT and work toward a PE

Hi there,

I've also got my degree in aerospace engineering. It's a very cyclical market though, and you are limited to where you can find work. I do civil structural now. It's not nearly as interesting, but it pays the bills and is located in more numerous places.

Whatever he does, tell him to take the E.I.T exam (often called the F.E. exam) right now! That stands for "Engineer in Training" or "Fundamentals of Engineering." But the way it works is you take that exam, work four years under the supervision of a P.E. (Professional Engineer), then you can take the P.E. exam.

Having a P.E. can open many extra doors for him that are closed to non registered engineers. With a P.E., he can seal legal documents, like building drawings. And while you don't need a P.E. to work at a major airframe maker, it is viewed as a plus and will help your salary. To work in Civil engineering, you pretty much have to have one.

Best of luck to him.

Take care,
Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Good news...he was hired on at Cessna last October...in Wichita. He loves the job, hate KS...but we already knew that.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote