Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2019, 07:09 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Desperate help needed!

Many of you have followed my wife and I traveling across the south. We are in need of some experienced help with moving our trailer.

In setting up our Classic 30 to be removed from storage, i severely injured my back. Right now i cannot walk. We lose our storage in 8 days. We have a state park reserved from today until end of month 12 miles away.

We are staying with my brother here in Lake Havasu but he has no experience with 30’ airstreams! He will drive it if we cannot find someone to help.

if there is someone in the lake havasu area that could help, i would appreciate a call. It would probably take a half day of your time.pm me for telephone number.

thanks!

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:35 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Go to the top left of this page click on the portal icon. Scroll down to the Inspector section on the right side of the screen...enter your State.
You will see the folks who have volunteered to help with inspections.

Hope all works out well for you...👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A towing company will move it for you for a fee.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I’ve self diagnosed myself with lower back muscle strain or tear. Can’t even sit up! Waiting for call from my doctor from home.

Tom & Doty
Old 04-22-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
I’ve self diagnosed myself with lower back muscle strain or tear. Can’t even sit up! Waiting for call from my doctor from home.

Oh man, Turk, I’m sorry to hear it. I’ve been dealing with back issues and back surgery since 2003 and know too well what it’s like. If you were stuck in Illinois I’d be out to help you. Hope someone who can help sees the post.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

First off, get a doctor to look at what's going on with your back. This isn't something to just ignore and hope it will go away. (We have data on this ....). Yes, it's a strange doctor in a remote location. Yes, it will cost you something. It's worth it.

Second off, call the storage place and explain your situation. There may be some wiggle room there. There also might be an alternative ( Like pull it out of the building and park it 100' away).

I would not (at this point) *assume* that all will be well in a week or so. It might be, it might not be. You could be on restricted activity for quite a while. (Last adventure here had restrictions for months ...). That's why the doctor visit comes first ...

Indeed this is a pretty good reminder to get the wife more familiar with driving (and backing) our rig. We put that off last year when she had all the fun with the injury and physical therapy.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Suwanee , Georgia
Lower back pain relief.

Turk, I'm far away from you in Georgia so I can't help with your trailer move but your lower back strain/pain sounds familiar. Now keep in mind that I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV. But I've had severe lower back pain on numerous occasions and found complete relief using an inversion table. You know, those things that hang you upside down by your feet? It might sound gimmicky but I was blown away by how quickly and completely it relieved my back pain. My lower back pain was due to the effects of gravity compressing my vertebrae and pinching nerves, leaving me much like you describe yourself. Now I use it for about five minutes every six months and my lower back pain is history.

I bought my inversion table at Costco about 10 years ago for $200 and it paid for itself in the first five minutes of use. The chiropractor that was treating my back pain before I bought the inversion table even admitted that it was the best solution for my problem.

I hope you can find some relief. Perhaps an inversion table will do for you what it did for me. It might be worth a try. If it doesn't work for you then Costco has a money back return policy.
2019 Globetrotter
Old Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 03:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
There is a Bennett's mobile RV repair service in Lake Havasu City that might be able to help you get it hooked up.

We are in Phoenix and could drive over to help but it wouldn't be till this coming Friday.

Wondering if changing the heading of your thread to "Desperate Help Needed in Lake Havasu" would get more people to open the thread and read it. I will watch the thread and see what your replies are with regard to helping you this weekend if it comes to that.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Thanks all for the suggestions and thoughts. Doc got me a steroid (prednisone- I hate that stuff!) and a muscle relaxer so i hope i’m on the way to recovery.

My brother is probably capable to drive and hopefully i’ll be there to help.

It really makes looking into some of those insurance programs attractive right now. Have any of you had any experience with them. we will be at Alumapoloza this year and i know there is a company explaining their product.

Tom & Doty
Old 04-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Insurance programs:

Me: Hi, I have your insurance and have a brake hub problem. The hub has overheated and I can't move the trailer.

Them: Where are you right now?

Me: At a campground on Lake Erie.

Them: We'll get back to you. What's your phone number?

====== next day

Them: (paraphrased) Since you aren't stuck by the side of the road we aren't going to do anything for you. We also can't find anyplace that does "come to you" brake work on truck / trailer brakes in that area ....

Me: (response deleted to keep this polite)

=====

Bottom line - if you *do* go for insurance, read through it *very* carefully. Does it cover this or does it cover that is buried in many many pages of fun to read nonsense. It also is very much a "get what you pay for" sort of thing. What makes sense for one person may be silly to another person.

Bob
Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think maybe he was referring to the medical transport insurance programs that will provide for returning the person, accompanying family, pets, and the rig to their homes if they have a medical problem and can not drive. I have Sky Med.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
yes, i was referring to sky med.

Update today: on prednisone and a muscle relaxer. I can walk again! No more gripping spasms. My back is healing. I will still take it very slow and stay in bed today.

Tom & Doty
Old 04-23-2019, 11:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Take care and get better. It takes a lot of time and some gentle movement to get better.

Been there, done that, still can set it off with one bad move. We occasionally pay dearly for our upright posture.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:34 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Glad you are recovering.

We are both in our late 70's with some on going medical issues and have been traveling extensively, including NewFoundland, the Rockies, and a couple of trips to Alaska. I like the feeling that one of my children will not have to take a couple of weeks off work to come get me or to have to make arrangements for medical flights and trailer recovery. We have averaged between 5 and 6 months a year gone in an Airstream for the last 11 years so the probability of need it is fairly high. Plus I work part time and have made numerous business trips to Canada in addition to the recreational travel. If things go really bad one phone call should get a professional working out the details of what needs to be and can be done.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wife!

You CAN tow. You may need to place your husband under general anesthesia or at least duct tape his lips shut and his hands together.

It would be wise to take a course at a truck driving school, then gradually start towing on good roads and light traffic for an hour or so. It may never come to a place where it is "she drives or we stay home" but you will both be safer knowing you can step up and step into the left seat.

And if he ever does something really bad, you can grab the Airstream, all of your friends, and all the charge cards and go to the outlet malls!
Old 04-23-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I think maybe he was referring to the medical transport insurance programs that will provide for returning the person, accompanying family, pets, and the rig to their homes if they have a medical problem and can not drive. I have Sky Med.
Hi

Same gotcha - will they cover this situation? I have zero idea if they will or will not. It's not *obvious* that they would cover it though.

Bob
Old 04-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Well we got everything moved and we are at Cattail cove state park south of Havasu. I drove, my brother helped us get set up.

my back continues to get better and i have a week here to recuperate. I will send some gorgeous pictures later.

Thanks to all who offered help.

Tom & Doty
Old 04-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Great to hear, Turk. Hope your recovery continues well.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Have your hip Ex Rayed

Have your hip exrayed. I went through 9 years of "sciatic nerve" with PT then a back delaminectomy surgery. Then found out my hip had severe degeneration bone on bone, and got a hip replacement. I think my back issues were caused by my hip being out of line but no one ever looked at my hip until I wasn't getting better months after the back surgery.
So I tell everyone with back issues, make sure your hip isn't causing your back to be out of alinement.
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote