Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Check out these coins

I hope I am posting right...today I was on my bike headed home from work and saw a lump of stuff hanging out of a dumpster to thee side. Rode over and started pulling out old t shirt rags for my cats to sleep in at night. I didn't have a bag, so I reached down and pulled up an old purse and started cramming the shirts into it. When I got home I bedded the cats houses, and before I discarded the purse I felt the bottom- feeling a cardboard floor in there, I put my fingers underneath and pried it up. It was two books full of pennies! Here's three of them, so far I have found out they are called flying eagles and am still looking into the market for them. Pretty neat huh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4124.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	98744  
Old 03-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #2
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Those are really cool. I've never heard of Flying Eagles. Let us know what more you find out about them. Just how old was this purse anyway?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
It was not old, just there like a circle bag with a draw string like a beach bag. Had to have belonged to a mother type, and she had hidden the coin slots in the bottom I figure. I will come back to this thread and add what I find out...wish me luck- it's a jungle out there! Oh by the way - what I have found out so far is that these were designed by a painter not a sculptor. They were created to replace a larger copper penny that was around then, and it is I think 15 % nickle and the rest is copper, but they have a silverish finish to them. They were made because copper was getting 'pricie' (?) and this was the alternative. I have youtubed them so far. Bill
Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawkerII View Post
It was not old, just there like a circle bag with a draw string like a beach bag. Had to have belonged to a mother type, and she had hidden the coin slots in the bottom I figure. I will come back to this thread and add what I find out...wish me luck- it's a jungle out there! Oh by the way - what I have found out so far is that these were designed by a painter not a sculptor. They were created to replace a larger copper penny that was around then, and it is I think 15 % nickle and the rest is copper, but they have a silverish finish to them. They were made because copper was getting 'pricie' (?) and this was the alternative. I have youtubed them so far. Bill
This goes deeper very cool guys!
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:43 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
we almost threw out all of my mothers jewelry when she died, my wife was throwing out all of her old clothes and junk from closet, just as she was about to toss an old suitcase she decided to look inside. What she found was everything my father had ever given her. You may be dealing with the same situation.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
I hope I am posting right...today I was on my bike headed home from work and saw a lump of stuff hanging out of a dumpster to thee side. Rode over and started pulling out old t shirt rags for my cats to sleep in at night. I didn't have a bag, so I reached down and pulled up an old purse and started cramming the shirts into it. When I got home I bedded the cats houses, and before I discarded the purse I felt the bottom- feeling a cardboard floor in there, I put my fingers underneath and pried it up. It was two books full of pennies! Here's three of them, so far I have found out they are called flying eagles and am still looking into the market for them. Pretty neat huh?
Nice Find!!!!

Flying Eagle cents were the first "small" cents made in the USA. Before that the cents were larger than a quarter in size. 1000 demonstration Flying Eagle cents were made in 1856 and handed out to Senators or Congressmen to show them the idea. The idea was approved and large cents were last minted in 1957 and Flying Eagle cents were minted in much higher quantities for public use in 1857 and 1858 (both types were made in 1857). In 1859 they were replaced with the more familiar Indian Head cent that was made until 1909. Flying Eagle cents are one of the shortest lived U.S. coin designs of all time. BTW, there are many fake and altered 1956 Flying Eagle cents, so if you have one, get it authenticated before celebrating too much - chances are it is not real.

If you want to get maximum value if you sell them, DO NOT CLEAN THEM!!! Especially do not clean them with anything abrasive or anything that will shine them. Coin collectors want "original" and "naturally worn" coins. Cleaned coins are worth significantly less.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Very cool. What a find!

Maggie
Old 03-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Now I have found out a little more about these types...there is a 'Large Letter' type and a 'small Letter'type. The 'Large letter' ones (if you look closely at the word 'America') - the A and the M will be connected at their bottoms. The 'Small Letter' type upon close up--the A and the M are not connected ...had some thing to do with their making. I was looking at how to clean coins with 8% vinager and salt, but you have said not to clean them, so I won't--but I was tempted.!
Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I'll give you a nickel each for them. You get 500% profit! Ha Ha
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Flying Eagle

Nice find!! RED BOOK A Guide Book of United States Coins....the emphasis is on GUIDE....states that they are worth somewhere between $30 and $80 depending on condition.....oh, where have I heard condition mentioned before..ha! Hope this helps....it's always nice and exciting to find forgotten and misplaced stuff.

Best Regards,
Levon
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
a penny collector just contacted me from Tucson Az and said to insure them for 300.00. What does he mean?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
a penny collector just contacted me from Tucson Az and said to insure them for 300.00. What does he mean?
I guess you don't watch Antiques Roadshow..

Apparently, things should be insured for what it would cost you to buy them, not what you could sell them for (less).

Now, what does that mean?

Ken

PS: Cool Find. I guess I don't go dumpster diving enough.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Good find,when I was redoing my GTO 20 years or so ago,I found a gold 2 1/2 peso piece under the edge off the carpet,still have it on a chain.Car came out of New Mexico,but it was still quite of a surprise. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
The potential buyer is in Tucson and they said to mail them over and they will call me and tell me what they will pay. The fellows name was (and still is) Rick Snow, and I just hope they don't pull a fast one ha!
Old 03-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Holy cow - I'd have a hard time doing that unless I could independently find a lot of information about the buyer.

Kind of like those crooked gold sites - "just mail your old jewelry in and we'll pay you what it's worth". Right.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Agreed. You should send them away in the mail, When you are ready to give them away without any compensation.
Find a local, or put them on e-bay. Don't put them in the mail until you have cashed the check.

Rich the Viking
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
The potential buyer is in Tucson and they said to mail them over and they will call me and tell me what they will pay. The fellows name was (and still is) Rick Snow, and I just hope they don't pull a fast one ha!
Eagle Eye Rare Coins - The Leader in Quality Flying Eagle and Indian Cents-Rick Snow.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #18
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Yea, that's the guy but take a look at the prices he's wanting on his Flying Eagle page. No wonder he'd like to get them. Hopefully, he'll pay accordingly based on rarity and condition.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
well, now enters my sister in Guthrie who says' No! don't sell them! ...Good Grief!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1968 24' Tradewind
1959 17' Pacer
Vintage Kin Owner
holly springs , Georgia
go to "ha.com"the coin on the left has issues the one on the rt. maybe a vf+ after being graded by NGC or PCGS may do well at auction, in any event you can trust your coin w/ heritage. And again DONT CLEAN IT.
Kevin
kevinb is offline   Reply With Quote

« car batteries | Top | Tamis »