Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Buyer's Remorse

I recently sold a 1972 Ambassador 29' to a local couple. They have never owned a trailer or any kind of RV. A buyers agreement was written, signed, and notarized, with the statements of AS-IS on the document. I also emphasized that all systems were guaranteed to work at time of delivery with the exception of water heater and furnace. This was also noted and initialed on the Bill of Sale. The enthusiastic new owners were anxious and excited upon delivery of their "new toy." The excitement soon wore off though as tonight they phoned wanting to know if I would buy it back. I have no problem in giving them their money back. BUT, they have removed the original stereo and 8-track, all speakers, the twin bed frames, supports and bins, and the monitor panel in the front overhead and DISCARDED them. My question is, "How much does this lower the value?" I'm really steamed over their haste to remove and discard without thinking the whole process through. Please give me your advice, "What would you do in this situation?"
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
AS-IS is AS-IS!!!

I think that you had a TOTALLY reasonable transaction.... It's theirs!

If you buy it back, cast a CRITICAL eye toward it, just as if you were buying a replacement AS from another source.... I know that trailer still 'feels' like yours, but it isn't! They changed the character and the feel, the interior, the thing that made it what they wanted to buy in the 1st place.

Now, you DO know a LOT about that unit that others may NOT know, but you likely also know what it will take to get it back to the minumum shape it WAS in when you sold it.... I think it would be easiest for you to just let it go and find yourself another unit that gets you juices flowing.... this one has TOO much baggage now.... you'll likely always get steamed over the 'toss this and that' attitude every time you look at it or get into it.

Then again you might get a fire sale price and have a unit that will allow you to finish it the way you "REALLY" want to do it, but couldn't due to the previous condition....

Your call!

Best of luck!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Midland , Michigan
WOW! As one in the process of restoring a '75 Argosy 24, I'm finding even the smallest piece and part to be very expensive. I can't imagine they had any idea of the value of the materials they discarded. "$600" is a running joke between my wife and I when we discuss the cost of even the most minor repair or modification. Buy it back but not for the same the price. Heck for all you know, they didn't "discard" anything. . .they just needed parts!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:59 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It sounds like the new owners have taken what was a travel trailer and turned it into a project that requires a new interior. The market for a new buyer has been reduced to a very small number of people who would be willing or able to perform such a feat. It may sound cold, but I would want no part of it. Let them live with what they have done and let them find a new buyer.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I don't think I would buy it back. Something smells fishy here. As was stated above, if you can get it for a very low price that makes the headache worth it all, then that's up to you. What else did they do that they haven't told you? Tell them to put it back on the market and get what they can. My 2 cents.
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
You said it!

Richard -

You said what I was trying to say, and better! In WAY less words too!

Great minds think alike!?

Hi to Jan from Max-imum Max! He keeps asking when we are going back to the 'fishing place' - that would be the CG in Cottonwood.... I think I have convinced him that every 10 years we need to go back to each place we have previously been....

Actually, kinda a neat idea.... an every 10 year loop... and note the changes along the way.... Maybe that could be a FCU feature? Do Cottonwood every 10 years at a minimum?? Kevbo, you up for the 'every decade' parking gig? I promise to re-gift the 2000 fish-hooks if you say 'Yes'!!!! Patron Silver will also make an appearance... 'That rug really tied the room together....', sorry - inside joke there. Anyone else know the line and the movie its from?

Back to the thread, My vote, and Richards too!?, is leave it for them to sell and find yourself a new project!

Peace

Axel
SilverToy
Old 06-30-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Kevin, For all you know they might also have gutted the trailer to make a profit from those parts on eBay! I say "You bought it... You stripped it... You own it"... and let the chips fall where they may! They can't blame you for their stupidity if they indeed stripped and tossed the interior. They now find themselves with an... expensive to remodel lesson... in doing only what you can afford. All here would probably agree that the real value in restoring or updating a trailer is to use it while it is a work in progress until time and cash flow allows you to do as you wish. The new appliances, water heater, and furnace plus all the upgrade things that they wanted to do have devalued the trailer for their use and made it of no real value to you. Let them eat cake! The answer is No Way will I buy it back in that condition! Happy Trails, Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Check the Checkbook....

Guess that the 'prevailing' wisdom (other folks!!! not mine) is to let them deal with the 'Frankenstein' they have created....

if in a month or 2 it's still in their possession, then make a REDICULOUS offer of a few!! hundred - and finish it the way you want.....

I'll bet if you 1/2 try between now than and then, you'll find AT LEAST 1 or 2 other projects that get you WAY more jazzed than this 'newly wrecked' AS ever will....

I'd stay with the AS projects though....

Axel
SilverToy
Old 06-30-2007, 05:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Thanks ALL for the responses and advice. This is exactly wanted to hear from the great people here in the FORUMS group. Funny thing, they are having a yard sale today. Maybe I had better go to it. The AS parts may be on the table for a few bucks. <G> They also countered with an offer for me to "take it back on trade for another travel trailer I have." With that I said a a loud and firm "NO WAY."
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:53 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I don't know if you have a dealership, or have a friend that does, but maybe as a compromise you can offer to put it on the lot on consignment. That way, if they truly have a problem they need to be bailed out of, you will look more like a "good guy" to them. If they are just running some kind of game, it won't matter, but it also won't hurt.
If they agree to it, you should make a note of the trailer's current condition, so they can't later say other items were altered or removed.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:20 AM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
A good question to ask oneself is: "self, would you be interested in purchasing this trailer if you were seeing it for the first time?" If the answer is yes, then why not make a counter offer. If the answer is no, then maybe it is better to move on with a clear conscience. Given you sold it in the first place, I suspect the latter is closer to the fact.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:32 AM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd be less concerned it they hadn't removed stuff. At that point, it became they're unit to deal with in my book...anything beyond that would be a gift from you.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:47 AM   #13
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I would only agree to buy it back if it is returned in the condition you sold it to them. What ever correspondence your have make sure it is in writing and sent certified.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:42 AM   #14
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Silverhobby,

Signed, sealed, delivered...it theirs.

I'd also be concerned about the stuff they didn't remove. Also, your time in dealing with this is worth something.

Had there not been a contract, things might be a little different. Stick to your guns.

Best wishes.

Jonathan
Old 06-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
They're adults, let them deal with their own poor decisions. Especially since they decided to start removing things and getting rid of them.Everyone makes mistakes in life and most you just have to deal with. I agree that they signed the contract, it's theirs. They can now put it up for sale if they don't want it. Unless... there was a clause in the contract that said that you would bail them out should they have a change of mind.... Not
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:35 AM   #16
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
I recently sold a 1972 Ambassador 29' to a local couple. They have never owned a trailer or any kind of RV. A buyers agreement was written, signed, and notarized, with the statements of AS-IS on the document. I also emphasized that all systems were guaranteed to work at time of delivery with the exception of water heater and furnace. This was also noted and initialed on the Bill of Sale. The enthusiastic new owners were anxious and excited upon delivery of their "new toy." The excitement soon wore off though as tonight they phoned wanting to know if I would buy it back. I have no problem in giving them their money back. BUT, they have removed the original stereo and 8-track, all speakers, the twin bed frames, supports and bins, and the monitor panel in the front overhead and DISCARDED them. My question is, "How much does this lower the value?" I'm really steamed over their haste to remove and discard without thinking the whole process through. Please give me your advice, "What would you do in this situation?"
Let them keep it. They've had possession for a while, long enough to strip parts out of it. I think this is about as far from a buy-back situation as there is.

Even if they had not removed parts, if they possesed it for any length of time, I'd say no.

My only inclination to buy back would be if I had overlooked a major problem which came to light shortly after the sale. (Lets say I had represented the floor as sound, but a later check revealed rot).
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Silverhobby,
Politely wash your hands of this matter. You were more than above board in pointing out any items that were not functioning and the trailer was sold AS IS! If they need suggestions as to how to refurbish the trailer then by all means point them in the right direction. It sounds like they might have changed their minds or felt that they have bitten off more than they can chew but that is not your fault. Even if they could put everything back together like it was when you sold it to them, I would not take it back because there is no guarantee they did it right.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
In a word, NO.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:09 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
I think once you've sold it, it's the buyer's to do as he wishes. I would not want to buy it back, especially when it's in an altered condition. Don't look back, but move on forward to better things!
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:13 PM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
How arrogant can you get. If it had not been touched, possibly. But after what they did to it, NO WAY!
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote