Old 11-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #71
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Jim,

I don't shop at Wallyworld because I feel I just don't fit in.

You see, I'm skinny and I don't own a sweat-suit.
Ah, I get it now. I made the mistake of going there on weekday morning. Yeehaw, it was weird!

But, on the other hand, the kinds of things I buy there are always much cheaper. Trying to think of the last few trips over the last few months. I bought oil and filters for the cars. Name brands, much cheaper than the auto parts stores. I bought a newspaper (Sunday only, the Atlanta paper is a rag). I bought some fetilizer over the summer. I bought 2 sets of tires for the kids cars (American made) (We had, at the time, two kids in college, one has since graduated). Beer. See the point I'm trying to make? I guess for me it's about paying attention to where and HOW I spend my money. I'm in a mode these days of paying very close attention to where the products I buy are made. And how much they cost. and who has the best price.

We got royally screwed on a MAGNAVOX TV (cheap, cheap, cheap Chinese made CRAP) a couple of months ago. DO NOT, I can't stress this enough, DO NOT EVER buy a product from Phillips Magnavox. This is a $hit company. Sorry folks for my language, just the reality of the world today. Those jerks will never, ever get another dime from me.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:05 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Jason I also abhor parents that would allow their children to go hungry to spend any expedable income so irresponsibly and selfishly as you have outlined. I don't think you would meet with any disagreement from any of us here. There are so many abuses and injustices.

Again I think I intruded upon this thread and it would rightly have been better posted elsewhere.

Someone direct me to the social and community services forum. Sorry, but it stunned me to know the extent and it put other matters in a whole different perspective for me.

If there is any kind of commonality to the thread discussion and my post perhaps it is to be mindful of helping others and leaving no one behind.

Global indeed, you are so right Bjorn and Robert. We are in this all together and the globe is shrinking. To me buy American meant to help local industry and workers so that they can be productive and make a living but not to imply importing or exporting is a negative thing or a taboo. It all does get very complicated very fast and much of it unbeknownst to the individua, at least to me.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:42 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
join me

I always try to buy American. Yes I know it's tricky to.But when we stop trying is when all the foriegn multinationals win. IT's all about jobs. You buy foreign and sooner later it hurts American workers and companies.PLUS I believe Amereican products generally are of better quality.Look at shoes Dexter use to make good shoes, Now they are of really poor quality made in China.And the cost is not really different .
ITs simple american jobs = american products.
Keeping buying foriegn goods and your job may be gone for good.
Always look for the Made in USA label , GOD Bless our country and god bless our unions!!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #74
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down Want a challenge?

Just got the annual L.L. Bean Christmas catalog.

Try and find any American made products. It ain't easy.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #75
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Would this be better??

I try not to think of it as buy American, more like support your "local" merchants.

When the Wallyworld sooper store opened in Herkimer Co. N.Y. A lot of the main-street stores in the area were closed with-in 2 years. They just could not compete with the "loss leaders." Even some of the roadside produce stands are closed. My Gram-in-Law is now 15 miles from the groceries she used to get three miles away.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 11-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I live in Santa Fe, NM, a place that has a government forced minimum wage soon to be over $10/hr this January, I think. I've been noticing comments in the local paper about buying local.

While I might be going against the grain here, I must say that I go out of my way to buy out of the area, my own area. I strongly object to forced minimum wage laws. If someone else wants to spend more than is necessary to acquire a product, then by all means, buy locally. Just don't expect anyone to feel that same obligation.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:51 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Bingo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
While I might be going against the grain here, I must say that I go out of my way to buy out of the area, my own area. If someone else wants to spend more than is necessary to acquire a product, then by all means, buy locally. Just don't expect anyone to feel that same obligation.
Well, sir, you have hit on the current problem with "buy American". Usually,
it is going to cost you more money to do it. I can see both sides but I think it boils down to money w/ a lot of people.
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 05:58 PM   #78
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
I live in Santa Fe, NM, a place that has a government forced minimum wage soon to be over $10/hr this January, I think. I've been noticing comments in the local paper about buying local.

While I might be going against the grain here, I must say that I go out of my way to buy out of the area, my own area. I strongly object to forced minimum wage laws. If someone else wants to spend more than is necessary to acquire a product, then by all means, buy locally. Just don't expect anyone to feel that same obligation.

wholey c8@p, is that a State/local mandate or what?

RLC

RLC
Old 11-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Every couple decades the American (USA) people have been called on to make a huge sacrifice to make and keep this country great. Who would have ever thought that supporting your local merchants would turn out to be a sacrifice. But it is, and it's one we should all be willing to make. We're all very patirotic until it hits us in our pocket books. If we had all been taking care of our local economies then we would not be faced with government mandated minimum wages and tax supported bailouts. If we won't make the sacrifice on our own then we'll be forced to on somebody else's terms.

Roger
Old 11-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Well no wonder the American companies are in trouble...

And this may sway some people to buy an American car or truck, but I'm not swayed so easily.

I support my local shops if the product is good, Don't if it crap. I will pay more for the same type of item if it is made better and will last longer.

I don't buy to many plastic toy's for my kids any more, even if they are made in the USA.. They just don't hold up.

Quality is what I'm looking for..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:42 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Quote:
Wow, that's even higher than the Federal version of the "Teenage Unemployment Bill".

Amazes me, as a small business owner and entrepreneur, why so many would prefer to have people unemployed at $10/hr rather than having jobs available at market determined wages (and agreed upon by the wage earner).

Oh well, I guess the Federal government can always approve more job training programs (and pay for them) as we continue to price entry-level jobs out of the market place!

And as we pay inflated retail for overpriced goods and services (to prop up government wage/price controls), we can always comfort ourselves in the fact that we're "supporting the local economy".

Free market, eh?
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 08:17 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Minimum wage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

wholey c8@p, is that a State/local mandate or what?
That minimum rate is only for Santa Fe. The state rate is much lower. Santa Fe is controlled by an extremely liberal political elite.