Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #61
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
[QUOTE=doug&maggie;1432591]Forgot to mention that we have about $900 in donations to FaithWorks, just from the funeral and cards sent. Many other donations I've been told have been sent directly to them. Had an email from Wright Culpepper (one of the great names of all time) that they had received about $600 as of Friday.

Doug has spoiled me so. Such a jump-in-and-help guy, he ran the vacuum, dusted, took out the garbage, chopped vegetables, brought in the firewood, etc. Whatever needed to be done, he was there to help with it.

I was so used to just getting out of bed and on with my day that the bed hadn't been made since I've been home....til this morning, when I made myself go back in and take care of it.

Am signed up for and planning to attend the Moraine View rally in June, which is just 20 minutes from our house. Would have been our 5th consecutive year at that rally, and a place where I will feel very comfortable.

A new normal, as they say.

I'd rather not, but here it is.

Thanks to you all,

Maggie,
I am so glad that you are still planning on attending the Moraine Rally. We are going to be in the site next to you and I am looking forward to meeting you. You have been in our prayers for the last couple weeks as well. This will be our first Air-Forums Rally and maybe you can be our mentors as newbies to the rally. Continued prayers for you as your start your "new normal" journey.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Maggie;

Sometimes it helps to remember that the new day is a gift to be cherished. What we do with that time can be rewarding to both body and soul.

Lou

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 03-30-2014, 08:46 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, folks.

Looking forward to meeting you and the other newbies at Moraine View, too, kswelsh. We were newbies once upon a time. Seems like so long ago.

Those spots at the lake end of the loop are the coolest in the campground. Even when it's hot, a nice breeze comes up from the lake.

This is a great rally with great people, some of whom have been every year since it started. I think this is year 12....???

Maggie
Old 03-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Maggie, I know what you mean about clothesline dried sheets, there is something so luxurious and decadent feeling about them. They bring back so many memories of my childhood; the scent is undeniably wonderful and I use the clothesline whenever possible.

After receiving rain/sleet/2" of snow yesterday, we awoke to sun and more sun which is so beautiful! Hoping you are enjoying this sunshine as well.

Deb
Old 03-30-2014, 09:17 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yes, the sun is shining brightly here, as well.

Doug is smiling, too, I feel.

Maggie
Old 03-31-2014, 06:21 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lest I give in to the temptation to just whine, suffice it to say that I am alive and doin' okay.

Nothing really to post this am, a busy week ahead.

XO Maggie
Old 04-01-2014, 04:13 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My sweet son is doing dvd's for all of our kids (5 between us) of the photo slideshow and some of Doug's favorite music that we played during visitation. Going thru these with him Sunday evening put me into a bit of a funk.

Crocheting in my big chair mid-day yesterday, feeling a bit sorry for myself, a favorite frozen yogurt place of ours suddenly popped into my head, so I took Lily and went to get some. Lily always gets a bit of the vanilla.

The sweet young lady who runs the place was alone in the shop, recognized me from our many prior visits and called a greeting, and so I told her about Doug. As we talked, she began to cry, said her sister had been in a terrible car accident last week, was in ICU and not expected to live.

The family is struggling with some specific issues related to her sister's sudden incapacitation, which I was able to provide concrete, informational help with due to my work experience/former occupation. (You're always "on".)

I left there feeling I had done some small bit of good, and that there was a reason I felt a sudden urge to visit this place. My mood lifted some and I felt more focused on positives. I helped her a bit, and helping her helped me a bit.

A new day. Up early, but slept pretty well. More post-death-of-a-spouse things to deal with today, and Lily to doggie day care to run her little legs off cavorting with like-minded canines.

I remind myself of something I have said to others many times......"this is a process, not an event".

Thanks to you all for the pm's and support.

XO Maggie
Old 04-01-2014, 04:30 AM   #68
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
Lest I give in to the temptation to just whine, suffice it to say that I am alive and doin' okay.
Nothing really to post this am, a busy week ahead.
XO Maggie
My dear lady..whine ??? far from it ..
Id be in a crumpled heap in your sorry place…
Maggie…PM the dates ..and if I'm well enough we most certainly will
and depending on your kind permission may even show on here…
Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCrumpet View Post
My dear lady..whine ??? far from it ..
Id be in a crumpled heap in your sorry place…
Maggie…PM the dates ..and if I'm well enough we most certainly will
and depending on your kind permission may even show on here…
I let Lili know by pm that my son will soon be in London for work. If she is able, might meet her by proxy.

Maggie
Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 AM   #70
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
I let Lily know my son will soon be in London for work, and that if she is able I might meet her by proxy.
Maggie
We can surely make one of the dates
I have Exercise Tiger Memorial.. I think at the end of the month
which is at Slapton sands..
Hx1 is off to University for a Model Aircraft week end
If he is coming to England more than once..
I cannot see why we cant make it one of the dates
we'll take him on a grand London tour of sorts
Old 04-01-2014, 04:55 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Well, he will be working during the days, so a grand tour may be out of the question, but it's a nice thought.

Maybe tea after work.

Maggie
Old 04-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
Hi Maggie, catching up on your thread here... I have such admiration for you... the way you are handling so many things.. this life change has given pause for thought to many people... and the Airstream group, it's such a wonderful "family" to belong to, it is a comfort... and you, my dear lady, are amazing... I do hope our paths cross some day... hugs and love around... gail
Old 04-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, but truly...there is nothing amazing about me. Just muddling thru, like anyone else would be. Also happen to be writing about it here.

This is a wonderful Airstream family....full of love, support and encouragement for its' members....in good times and bad. More than many get from their biological families, we all know.

What is it about this silver that connects us so mightily?? Is there something extra special about people who love silver travel thingies??

I do not know, but it's a good thing.

XO Maggie
Old 04-01-2014, 01:43 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Alice,

I am working on a bag of crocheted flowers, for your quilts.

Using up lots of small scrap bits.

Maggie
Old 04-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #75
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
Can't wait to see them. I am looking for some camping related embroidery designs. Is there anything else that would remind us of Doug?
Old 04-01-2014, 04:42 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Books. Doug was an omnivorous reader....of good literature, no fluff.

Guns. He liked his handguns, and to target shoot. He did not hunt.

Maggie
Old 04-02-2014, 11:27 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Well,
Am I the lucky one or what?
I decided to make this a public thank you (hope you don't mind, Maggie).
I have just taken my Maggie-crocheted-potholder on it's maiden tour around the stove. It's GREAT!
I was expecting a potholders like I made with loops and a metal frame.
No, these pot holders are worthy.
These potholders look excellent (many colors) and really work superlatively. (Is that a word? I could change it to super, but I like superlatively.) (adverb)
Thank you Maggie! You made my day. Thanks for your effort and thoughtfulness.
P.S.
And Protagonist, you are missing out big time if you don't take Maggie up on her offer for a black (manly) pot holder.
Mockinbrd
Old 04-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Awww, you're sweet. Glad you like them.

For the rest of the story....

Mockinbrd made me a gift of 3 meals for 2 thru an outfit called Blue Apron.

Since I had previously offered to send her the potholders "of many colors" that she had asked for, and she declined, I accepted her gift on the condition that she accept mine. I certainly got the better end of the deal...3 gourmet meals that will each feed me twice.

I have been struggling the last couple of days, dealing with Social Security, the Will, SERS, financial advisors, etc., where I have to pull out death certificates and talk about my dead husband. Lots of tears, which seem to stay very close to the surface and ready to spill without warning,

I have thought I should not be posting my misery on this thread, as I have done enough of that and it may be getting old. It feels like it's getting old.

If I stay away a bit, trust that I am just dealing with the stuff of spouses who are suddenly dead. I'm tough, not going to dissolve into a puddle.....but nonetheless don't want to inflict everything on readers here.

I appreciate the love and support.

XO Maggie
Old 04-02-2014, 11:58 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Maggie,

You are NOT "inflicting" anything on anyone, so feel free to share anything you feel like sharing. When you share yourself on this forum, you are really giving all of us a gift and helping us all...just like you helped the young lady in the frozen yogurt shop.

N.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
I second that... sharing your experience on here has affected my daily thoughts about life... truly.. yes, it is a gift and I thank you...gail