Old 01-25-2018, 12:03 PM   #4957
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
My lower back has been bothering me the past few days...been doing stretches and soaking in the tub, it settles down for a bit and then is right back to spasms and feeling like there is a “catch” in it.

I put on my outside shoes with the orthotic levelers in them this morning, determined to get out with Lily for a walk...pain or no pain...and my back very quickly felt better.

I’ve been out of the orthotics more often than not these past few weeks, and it has taken a quiet toll. I needed a reminder to wear them whenever I am up doing any task, and back pain did it.

Visited my longtime chiropractor/homeopath this am, and updated him on my recent medical event.

He checked me over, tuned me up, and gave me an EPA/DHA supplement for my heart and brain...to go on my must-take list, and replace my over the counter omega3 supplement.

I trust him completely, and so take what he tells me to.

We talked the state of inpatient hospital care these days, and he had some stories similar to mine and those I have heard from others.

His belief is also that the hospitalists/intensivists trend is driven by the insurance companies, and the insurance companies are driven by Medicare.

He also believes we aging baby boomers are at greater risk of fatal lapses in care, but that anyone hospitalized who is unable to advocate for themselves is at risk....and needs a trusted someone to be their medical case manager. I agree.

I have been thinking that patients perhaps need someone akin to the CASA volunteers in many counties, who are unattached to any entity, accountable directly to the court, and assigned to each child entering the juvenile court system...someone impartial, whose responsibility it is to essentially evaluate all information and look out for the best interests of the individual.

Such appointments won’t happen, of course, so we will have to do these things for each other.

We are not naturally inclined to question the decisions of our doctors...or other professionals we are paying to provide a specialized service, for that matter ...but need to be prepared in this day and age to look carefully at care decisions, ask questions and advocate accordingly.

Such a shift in approach and perspective, that must necessarily be taken on at a time when one is so very vulnerable. Sigh.

The sun is shining and it is to be 50 degrees today.

Maggie

Old 01-25-2018, 12:54 PM   #4958
Rivet Master

Maggie, I am glad to know that you are feeling better....good enough to take Lily out for a walk. I agree with your assessment on current hospital care. More true than many suspect! Personal advocacy is the answer. Most people are unaware and vulnerable. A sad state of affairs, and most certainly not acceptable.

ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:27 PM   #4959
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Although I received really excellent, skilled care, it was in pieces with no one person in charge...and at least two critical things were missed.

One, soon after admission... I was aware, spoke up and got it taken care of...the other not known til after I was discharged. Maybe there’s more, but those are what I know.

I had three physicians in four days...no one person followed me throughout my stay, or was in charge of the totality of my care. It was an enlightening experience.

I may be more acutely aware of some things than others would be, as rather compulsively, obsessively and successfully keeping track of innumerable moving parts was what I did for a living...Doug would say it was not only what I did but who I am, and he would be right. That’s still me, actually.

Speaking of Doug, soon gone four years....a friend of mine was here yesterday, and was asking if I’d heard from him lately. Yes, I responded.

Last week, when I was feeling rather tormented and afraid regarding unanswered questions and upcoming testing...I was talking to Doug, who had been with me thru the only couple of other medical crises I have experienced, telling him I missed that support, his hand to hold, shoulder to lean on, all that.

I had the strongest feeling that he was near, and I cried a bit, which I don’t much do. I’m still a bit teary, off and on, which is not the usual me.

Tho I am doing well, recovering nicely, etc., it was a near-miss, and that is not lost on me.

Widowhood is about managing most things on your own....of course, there are people you can call, but you just can’t be doing that all the time.

You largely take care of everything, plus take care of yourself thru whatever....that’s just the fact of it.

You had 24 hour support in the before, in the after not so much. It’s a different life.

You pull up your big girl panties, and just do it. Sigh.

On another note, what is it with Facebook pages and folks going back and re-writing reality...taking things out they posted in the past, making the sum total look completely different?

I don’t do Facebook, personally, but do follow a couple of pages that interest me, for whatever reason, and I am somewhat stunned at the seeming fragile, shifting reality of a persons Facebook page.

It’s so artificial, and detracts from the genuiness of that person.

Time for a glass of wine...actually I think it’s going to be Prosecco.

Maggie
Old 01-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #4960
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
On another note, what is it with Facebook pages and folks going back and re-writing reality...taking things out they posted in the past, making the sum total look completely different?

I don’t do Facebook, personally, but do follow a couple of pages that interest me, for whatever reason, and I am somewhat stunned at the seeming fragile, shifting reality of a persons Facebook page.
Don't mistake Facebook for reality. A person's Facebook page is their own personal version of reality, and no more or less valid than any of their other memories.

We all rewrite our memories, holding onto the parts we want, letting go of the parts we don't, and interpreting it all to suit how we feel when we remember it. And sometimes remembering the way it should have been rather than the way it was. Why should Facebook be any different?

On the other hand, how many Facebook users would exercise more discretion if Facebook was "write once, there forever" with no chance to take back anything that was posted? Probably not nearly enough of them.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #4961
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And all thatís true, Protag...

I still find it odd...do they think people who follow their page donít notice, or is it all just shameless self-promotion for any new followers.

Maggie
Old 01-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #4962
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
And all thatís true, Protag...

I still find it odd...do they think people who follow their page donít notice, or is it all just shameless self-promotion for any new followers.

Maggie
I've decided, for me, that most social media is shameless self-promotion. So I stay away from it. I can toot my own horn in person, thankyouverymuch!

(He says, whilst typing stuff into a public forum!)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #4963
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
He also believes we aging baby boomers are at greater risk of fatal lapses in care, but that anyone hospitalized who is unable to advocate for themselves is at risk....and needs a trusted someone to be their medical case manager.

Exactly why I'm moving to live closer to my daughter.

A while back, she showed up in her hospital's ER outside her normal work hours, for some purpose related to her work. A staff member saw her and asked, "Do you have someone in here?" Obviously, they planned to be exceptionally careful with a patient whose relative is at the Director level in hospital management.

Meanwhile, my new home has passed a major milestone. There's actually an airplane in my new hangar, and it's mine. I flew my Cessna 150 down there yesterday. A friend from church (retired airline captain) flew his airplane down to give me a ride back.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #4964
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
This is the third time in a two or three weeks that Iíve attempted to post this, and the first two (long posts) were ďlostĒ after I had to resign in, so I am cutting this short in hopes it wonít time out or whatever happened before.

Maggie, I was so very sorry to hear of your medical emergency, it was difficult for me to wrap my mind around it at first as you are such a strong person, a so ďtake chargeĒ person. I guess this goes to show it can happen to any of us. Such a relief to have read that you are on the mend and doing well.

As I mentioned in my PM to you, my DH had a massive heart attack on 12/10, and is doing well now. He had no significant blockages which caused the attack ó in the heart cath they determined his build up in his atteries is only 10-20%! They determined his was caused by a stress-induced heart spasm. What I donít think I shared with you is that the hospital nearly caused his death that same afternoon by giving him too many blood pressure lowering drugs (2 blood pressure meds and nitroglycerin) at one time. Prior to the heart attack he was not on any medications, and that afternoon they came in with 7 for him to take at once.

He was doing well, so I stepped out to get a quick bite to eat. He began feeling unwell then determined all was not well and rang for the nurse. They found him passed out, not breathing, pulse in the 20ís-30ís, and they whole-hospital coded him! He awoke to being surrounded by people who were screaming at him, and they gave him an injection to speed up his heart. He was immediately taken to the CCU where he spent the next two days. The full time Cardiologist came in on the next day along with his Nurse Practioner and they admitted they had given him too many blood pressure lowering drugs and that his blood pressure had bottomed out.

So, I whole heartedly agree with you all about being careful while in the hospital! However, I must say that I questioned them when they brought in all of those meds, reminding them that he was not used to taking anything; we were told he needed them and he would be fine.

My DH nearly died twice that day!

Take care, be well.

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:02 AM   #4965
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
How scary, Deb, and so glad your hubby is okay!

Is that “broken heart syndrome”?

It is absolutely surreal that patients or their advocates would have to ask in a hospital setting what medication is being given and why...has it really come down to this, being the check and balance, monitoring the medical personnel?

In 2002, I had pulmonary embolisms, secondary to very high platelets and a genetic predisposition to clotting, secondary to a previously undiagnosed blood disorder....conscious and alert, thank goodness, I watched a heparin drip running out, using my call light before the air in the tube reached critical mass...my vein.

I was also discharged with an INR of 6.0, more than twice my maximum therapeutic level, because someone didn’t check my labs before giving my oral dose of warfarin. I was cautioned to watch for signs of bleeding, of which I very fortunately had none.

And, you know, I had been on warfarin for nearly 16 years when I had this bleed 4 weeks ago. I probably should have been taken off of it many years ago, given the “provoked” clots from a blood disorder long since under good control.

It is a new medical care world out there...too many cooks in the kitchen, no one person with their finger on the pulse of an individuals’ care.

While in ICU, and I think even once I was stepped down, meds were scanned in on a computer in my room before given...probably a safeguard against dosage errors, perhaps other things as well.

Be well, folks.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2018, 08:05 AM   #4966
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you for your well wishes, Deb.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #4967
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hooray, Mimi!

Maggie
Old 01-26-2018, 08:55 AM   #4968
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Glad to hear you are doing better, Maggie!

A bit of shameless self-promotion - As a trained electrical engineer turned system engineer, I have said that there is no equivalent of the system engineer in the medical profession - someone who looks at the big picture and coordinates the other disciplines to ensure the desired end result. That is what your Primary Physician would seem to be, but our doctor's office now has a "rounds doctor" whose job is to visit the practice's clients when they are inpatients, having never dealt with them in the office.

What is wrong with this picture?

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #4969
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you, Al, and you are exactly right.

When I had my last torn knee cartilage in 2009, was the first time I encountered a hospitalist.

He worked for my pcp’s office, and was designated to do the hospital work for the other physicians so they could focus their time on patient office visits.

Now, the hospitalists and intensivists and whatever other “ists” there are, work for the hospital.

There are probably more deaths and near-miss disasters out there than your average person has any idea.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2018, 11:11 AM   #4970
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Jacksonville , Florida
Glad to hear you are on the mend, Maggie, and are able to self-advocate.

Yes, friends, it is a new world in health way aheare today. Having been a practicing RN for 35 years, let me assure you things have changed! I have worked in many different settings as a nurse, and still enjoy the teaching and learning that goes on in hospitals. However, I have assured all my family and friends, "NO ONE GOES TO A HOSPITAL WITHOUT ME"!!

You have skimmed the surface on what happens in healthcare institutions. Regarding your recent experience, being young and proactive with your own health, you were measures ahead of a lot of patients. Imagine being admitted directly from a nursing home, family nowhere around, with streams of strangers through your door all day. Funny in my first days as a nurse, I followed doctors around carrying metal charts. Today, I consider myself THE- and sometimes THE ONLY- advocate for that patient.

We still have the best healthcare in the world, and we pay for it (medical equipment and pharmaceuticals). A new generation of doctors and nurses are coming out of schools, and there are plenty that I would entrust my life to. Remember to ask questions, and everyone, have your advance directives and health care surrogates WRITTEN DOWN BEFORE YOU GO INTO A HOSPITAL.

Thank you for listening to my little rant. Continued improvements in your health, Maggie, and happy and healthy airstreaming all!
As an aside, one night not long ago, a 40 foot motorhome pulled up to our ER, a gentleman came in, said his friend needed to be seen, but could not get out by himself. It took 6 young men and a rigged stretcher to get him out from where he lay in that coach. I say I wouldn't mind dying in my Airstream, but after that, I don't know...

DMP54 is offline   Reply With Quote