Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2003, 07:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Re: Horn 2nd query

I need help from anyone
My trumpet horns on top of MH do not work and
are junk. I want to replace them but cannot
find any 12 volt power at the top of the MH. I
just took the Horn buttom assembly apart and that
seems to be good. I seem to be having trouble
finding the correct wires or connectors under the
dash at bottom of steering column. Has anyone
ever converted from 12 volts to "air" horns? I would do this if I could figure a way to run the
airline to the top on the inside and hidden
from view and look good. Of course the easy way is to stay with the 12 volt system. The DB ratings of the 12 volts are less than the AIR but its still pretty good. H E L P
ODD.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
The colors on this chart probably won't match yours (my horn wire is black) but the locations are right. Horns draw a lot of power and are operated off a relay. Power feeds to the coil and points of the relay and the button grounds the coil. The relay will be under the dash hanging from the harness.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steering electric connector.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	2283  
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 06:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

re: horn

Hi John

Thanks for the fast reply. I will give it another
try today. May have to use this site again if I
cannot figure it out.
Thanks
ODD
Old 07-08-2003, 07:24 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Re: Horn 2nd querry

Hi John or Any one.

I tried looking for the green wire and there are lots of green wires. I called the tech support at Airstream and they told me the horn on the dash and the horn on the steering wheel were originally wired together. And my wire should be near the horn mounted in front of engine (horn came with P-30 chassis. I found the horn and its wired to the horn button on the dash (big black button). However its all new wiring (red). I have looked and looked all over this bus for extra wires and cannnot find a thing. I am going to try and loosen up the dash and see if that will get me easier access to the whole thing. My key switch is loose and wants to turn too far when trying to start the vehicle. Tech Center says I need a new switch. I think all it needs is to be tightened up. I may have to make up a 3 pronged spanner wrench for that unless someone has a better Idea. I cannot find where the horn wire from the horn button on steering wheel comes out of the bottom of the steering column.
I am going to have to replace the original AM/FM and CB radio antenna thats fastened to side of the bus just behind the drivers window. Does anyone have any suggesions on this and where should I buy one from?
Has anyone reading this ever ordered the service manual for the P-30 chassis in order to cover the items that the A/S service manual doesn't cover? The tech Center said I should order this book.
Any and All help will be appreciated. Perhaps I can do a return faver after I get this thing repaired I should be farely knowledgeable about this unit.
Thanks ODD
Old 07-08-2003, 08:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
There is a flat harness coming out of the column, the wires are all bonded side by side and go into a connector, it could be flat or semi rounded. This is for the horn, blinkers, etc. that run off the column. It has to be there if your blinkers are working. The horn wire isn't necessarily green, when you find the connector go by the location, my wire is black.

Have you tried the horn to be sure it is working? They don't last too long. I would run a jumper from a good 12v to the horn before I started on the dash, a lot less work.

Service manuals are good to have. Did they give you a place to get one? I am not sure how long they print (or stock) them.

John
Old 07-09-2003, 06:09 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Attn John

Thanks again for fast reply. I will look closer for the flat wire harness. The horn is no good I have checked it several times and ways.
The service Manual I will have to find a place to order thru the GM order place. Once I figure it out I can send info to you on this site.

Thanks ODD
Old 07-09-2003, 06:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I would replace the horn first, could be your wiring is OK.

John
Old 07-09-2003, 07:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
WHAT UNIT IS HE WORKING ON??? THE SERVICE MANUAL WILL NOT BE OF ANY HELP. $65 AND DONT HAVE A MUCH INFO ON THE P=30 CHASSIS. YOU GOT IT RIGHT ON TAKE A HOT WIRE AND TEST THE HORN. MINE DIDNT WORK BUT AFTER A FEW TAPPS ON THE REAR METAL PART OF THE HORN IT WORKED. LOL
AL
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 07:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
(Warning: trailer owner posting on motorhome forum)

I helped a neighbor troubleshoot the non functioning horns on his Winnebago. Ended up they were packed with road grime and bugs, cleaned them out and they worked fine. Of course if you have shields on the front of them this may not apply to your unit.

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

3rd querry

Thanks for the info from everyone. I know that the wiring is dead at top of MH. The old horns are broken and they were full of everything that flew in the air. still no good. I am still looking for the correct wireing as john suggested earlier.

I need some input on the antenna if any one has any suggestions
thanks

lots more later.

ODD
Old 07-09-2003, 08:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

re horns

I think I finally got the horn problem solved. I don't have new horns yet to try but I can get the wires to light up a regular head light when the horn buttom is pushed. I will go looking for Horns tomorrow.

Now I do need some advise on the radio and cb antenna any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks ODD
Old 07-09-2003, 08:08 PM   #12
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Depending on the year geting to the back of the antenna can be a pain. You need acess to the back because there are nuts on the inside of the three screws that hold it on. This may mean cutting a hole or removing interior trim. The service manual says cut a hole.

As far as getiing a new one I would do a google search on ball mount radio antenna. I found some bases but I cannot remember where.

The Antenna is only an AM/FM one, if you have a CB it needs its own antenna. Completley diffrent frequencies and wavelengths. That is why the combo antennas are usally so poor. Firestick makes a clamp on antenna that does not require a base, meaning it can go on a fiberglass MH or on Aluminum. CB antennas work best when they are on top of the vehicle and have a base plane to reflect the raidio energy off of. This is unless the antenna is designed to be "baseless"
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2003, 06:13 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

re antenna

Attn: Brett,

Thanks for the quick reply and info. I will have to make some phone calls and see what I can find.

ODD
Old 07-10-2003, 06:35 AM   #14
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: re horns

Quote:
Originally posted by Orland Dewey
I think I finally got the horn problem solved. I don't have new horns yet to try but I can get the wires to light up a regular head light when the horn buttom is pushed. I will go looking for Horns tomorrow.

Now I do need some advise on the radio and cb antenna any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks ODD
Hey, Orland! Congrats on getting the horn wiring going. I'm sure that was quite a chore!

The antenna on that coach is set up as a combo AM/FM/CB. I'm not exactly sure how it's tuned, but that's why I never messed with it. There is probably a 'tuning box' located between the radio and the antenna. The box would have a lead that goes to the radio, and then the antenna lead would plug into it. The only other way it might be tuned (and to be honest, I can't remember exactly what it looks like) is that if it has a center-loaded module, there is a small set screw near the center coil that would allow for the top piece to slide in and out to tune it for CB. I don't think yours is like that, though.

The problem with replacing the one that's on there is finding another like it to match the holes. I haven't checked in years, but I suspect that even finding a combo AM/FM/CB antenna any more will be very difficult. You'll probably end up replacing that antenna with a standard AM/FM, and then having to mount and wire in a separate CB antenna; not an easy task.

Best of luck with this. Please let me know what you find out!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Re: antenna

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply. I purchases a real nice set of horns in Petoskey yesterday. (stainless steel all over. Its been raining here for two days so no chance to put them on. Boy we really need the rain too. We have got 3-1/4" so far in one and a half days.

As to the Antenna. I called Airstream and they gave me a part number and told me to order it thru my local dealer. I called the dealer in Grand Rapids and he says he has it in stock. I will have to wait and see what he sends me. Then I will tackel the installation problem.

Thanks again. ODD