Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
Take me back to the 70's

1970 21' Globetrotter
1971 29' Ambassador
1977 20' Argosy 20
Boston , MA
Radio/Gps/back up camera

I can’t seem to make up my mind for my 20’ Argosy MH.. ! Who has an “all in one” likes/dislikes? I don’t have much room for the double din, was thinking a single where the screen pops open and up, but will cover my a/c vent, that is, when we remove the heater control down below.. back up camera?? Wireless? Do they work good? And where is it located?

Please and Thank you!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0508.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	318025
75 20' Argosy Motorhome...ISO. radiator
jamimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Of the three, GPS gets a *lot* more use. Garmin (and possibly others) can do a combo GPS / backup camera. Radios are a bit of a bore these days.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:04 AM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I would suggest a 'back-up' camera does not appropriately describe the use of a rear/side-view camera you need in a motorhome. Motorhomes have restricted views to the rear and sides (even Bella with something like 22 pieces of glass in 20ft length). If you buy an all-in-one, or even separate systems, make sure you control when you are looking at the the GPS, or the rear-view camera, and most importantly when the camera(s) or on, Bella's rear-camera is nearly always 'on', it is supplement to the rear-view mirror.

The only way I could get the functionality I wanted was to have a separate stereo (which is also wired to the on-board PC that provides the AV system), a 7" WinCE based tablet which senses when a camera is 'powered' and displays the image, but when a camera isn't powered, it reverts to normal tablet functions, which includes GPS.

But I have found that GPS technology has moved on so quickly in the last view years (in the UK/Eu having live traffic with automatic re-routing linked to it is almost essential). We have a 2018 Ford sub-compact called an EcoSport which comes with the very latest version of Ford SYNC, but still carry a TomTom GPS with live traffic. So there is still a separate, screen mounted, live data GPS on all the time the ignition is powered, same in Bella.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
Take me back to the 70's

1970 21' Globetrotter
1971 29' Ambassador
1977 20' Argosy 20
Boston , MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Of the three, GPS gets a *lot* more use. Garmin (and possibly others) can do a combo GPS / backup camera. Radios are a bit of a bore these days.....

Bob
You don't use a radio? No tunes?? Sirrius...?
Old 07-26-2018, 06:28 AM   #5
Take me back to the 70's

1970 21' Globetrotter
1971 29' Ambassador
1977 20' Argosy 20
Boston , MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I would suggest a 'back-up' camera does not appropriately describe the use of a rear/side-view camera you need in a motorhome. Motorhomes have restricted views to the rear and sides

make sure you control when you are looking at the the GPS, or the rear-view camera, and most importantly when the camera(s) or on, Bella's rear-camera is nearly always 'on', it is supplement to the rear-view mirror.

Thats another thing I wondered... Is the back up camera always on??

These all-in-ones-as soon as you put your foot in reverse the back up camera is on.

Quote:
The only way I could get the functionality I wanted was to have a separate stereo (which is also wired to the on-board PC that provides the AV system), a 7" WinCE based tablet which senses when a camera is 'powered' and displays the image, but when a camera isn't powered, it reverts to normal tablet functions, which includes GPS.
Cool, but too complicated with my old wires
Old 07-26-2018, 07:04 AM   #6
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamimes View Post
Thats another thing I wondered... Is the back up camera always on??

These all-in-ones-as soon as you put your foot in reverse the back up camera is on.
No the display the camera image when the camera is powered up, but the normal way to power up the camera is using the reversing light feed, so that when you engage reverse the reversing light comes on and the camera powers up which means the display flips to the camera. If you feed the camera from a swtched 12v source the camera flips on when switched. It also means you can use an on-off-on switch and power two cameras connected to the same display.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Just a couple ideas in general.....use a "wired system" , it won't drop out on you when you need it most. The other thing I recommend is adding a side camera along with the backup. I use mine a great deal in traffic and it really helps.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 10:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
This is the Pyle unit I bought, it fits well and the rearview camera and radio work OK
BUT
The DVD player died (twice) and the GPS software is stolen from another maker.

Welcome to the world of cheap Chinese knockoffs

Instead of Pyle, it should be called a Pile of SH$%$T

Other than that, it is a single DIN and I angled it toward the drivers side for a better view and I only use it for the radio or SD card full of tunes and the Rearview & sideview cameras.

If When this one goes, at least the work is done for another single DIN unit

Old 07-26-2018, 10:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Just a couple ideas in general.....use a "wired system" , it won't drop out on you when you need it most. The other thing I recommend is adding a side camera along with the backup. I use mine a great deal in traffic and it really helps.
Mike, what camera did you use?
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I used Rear View Safety, a bit pricey but I'm happy with it so far. Don't know f you saw it or not but I installed an "on-on" toggle in the wall next to my left hand so I can toggle between the rear view and side view without reaching up to the monitor. It's worked out pretty slick.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I second the vote on going wired.....plus if you use a simple on-off-on switch to power the camera, you can also use a $2 RCA splitter to connect multiple cameras to the single AV-in, with no interference as there can only ever be one camera 'on'.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:14 PM   #12
Take me back to the 70's

1970 21' Globetrotter
1971 29' Ambassador
1977 20' Argosy 20
Boston , MA
Quote:
I second the vote on going wired.....
Interesting find...

"AIRSTREAMS AND TOY HAULERS BEWARE. Wireless RV backup camera systems are not the recommended choice when there is metal involved. If you have an Airstream trailer (made with an aluminum skin), for example, wireless shouldn't be your first choice. Toy haulers commonly have metal reinforced rear ramps, so mounting a wireless camera here might be a bad idea. Why? Metal doesn't allow the passage of wireless signals so it's going to be hard for the camera screen (monitor) mounted up front of the RV to pick up the camera's wireless signal at the back of the RV. Choose a wired system instead."

https://campaddict.com/rv-backup-camera-reviews/
Old 08-01-2018, 10:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
i have a Garmin RV model

it support the rear camera

i power it from the trailer lights

thus when i want to see behind the trailer, i turn the TV lights on
the gps display then turns on and shows the camera view
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote