Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Onan 6.5, Load Question

I've read that you should always have a load on the onan while its running, I presume for moisture reasons.

So.....I'm wondering how much of a load is necessary? Such as the times when you dont need the A/C or heater while boondocking but you would like to watch television/vcr or dvd.

Is there a minimum amount of draw required or am I worrying about something that I shouldn't be?

How do all of you with experience handle this?

Thanks!
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Bill, I'm no expert but I think you'll find that just your Univolt alone will put a light to medium draw on your generator depending on the state of your batteries. Periodically you do want to run the generator with a reasonably heavy load to dry it out but I don't think you need to do it every time (heavy load that is).

You could also try an ac powered fan for a while, or depending on time of year a heat strip. If you have an electric element in your water heater that would also put a nice little draw on your generator.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
When I worked on the tugboats, the engineer would "excercise" the gensets by gradually
increasing the load to full capacity. I followed his lead with the mo/ho; in fact, ran both
roof airs for a couple of hours yesterday. Following his instructions, I've had zip problems with the
Onan; gensets like it best at full load, just like diesels.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill View Post
I've read that you should always have a load on the onan while its running, I presume for moisture reasons.

So.....I'm wondering how much of a load is necessary? Such as the times when you dont need the A/C or heater while boondocking but you would like to watch television/vcr or dvd.

Is there a minimum amount of draw required or am I worrying about something that I shouldn't be?

How do all of you with experience handle this?

Thanks!
I maintain generators at our microwave radio stations.
They are exercised every week for one hour under load. The load test is used to test the transfer function of the transfer switch and to test the set under load. After the hour run they will run for 10 minutes no-load for a cool down. Running a gen-set without load does not cause a problem. The idea of running under load was for drying of the generator windings in a humid environment. If you feel that you gen-set is getting wet by humidity by all means run it to dry it out. The amount of load doesn't really matter that much it is used to put heat into the windings. Less load more run time to get the heat up in the windings.
Use your best judgment as to how long and often you run your gen-set to keep it dry and the engine lubricated. The biggest problem is gas fouling due to age. Always run a fuel stabilizer in your gas, it works wonders.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Brad-Mike-Gary: Many Thanks....As you can probably tell by some of my questions MH'ing is new to us. Seems there is always needing attention without me adding to it. Your reply's helped me understand the Onan's function much clearer. Experience is always the best teacher and I appreciate your knowledge sharing.

Mike- You worked tugboats so I'd like to mention my Grandfather was a Captain on Isthmian Steamship Lines, back in the day, and had an Uncle on the tugboats, both worked out of NYNY. Small world.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 345bill View Post
Uncle on the tugboats, both worked out of NYNY. Small world.
Yup, I ran out of Seattle to Alaska. As I recall, is was not so much the moisture in the gen set, it was the "glazing" of the commutator if improper loads (low) were applied. We diesel folk are blessed with our propane units; I've had zero problems, but we're full time and run the gen to full load at least once a month.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I usually turn on the A/C or heat strip when I'm running the generator for "monthly" maintenance. (Monthly is a little optimistic - I seem to get to it about every other month.) I'm glad to hear that no-load is not a problem, though.

I'll usually let it run for several (3-5) minutes after I shut off the load. According to the manual, not doing that can make it hard to start. And my new Onan can be hard to get running, so I try to baby it as much as possible.

I do use fuel stabilizer in the off season in mine. During the season, it pulls gas from the front gas tank, which is usually relatively fresh since it also feeds into the engine.

345bill - I know exactly how you feel! Last year I put in a new converter and battery, put in new dump valves, re-sealed the fantastic fan, and did various other things. The year before that it was a new generator and transmission. This year: new fridge gasket, some new parts for the furnace, new shocks. In my case, it's all the joy of an 18-year-old car combined with the joy of an 18-year-old house. But when you get to that campsite, and sit down and relax...totally worth it!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote