Old 10-12-2011, 11:10 AM   #15
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Change out the isolator for a "SUREPOWER" 1315-200 separator and charge goes both ways.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...ST_180126a.pdf

Dave

Old 10-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Santa Cruz , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveson View Post
All very interesting, but electric is my weak point. My 345 also has 2 coach deep cycle and 1 chassie battery. The chassie does not charge when attached to shore power. All charge with gen or alt from engine. Is there an easy solution to charging all including the chassie battery when attached to shore power?
There is, and spending a bit on an intelligent charger will prolong the life of the batteries significantly. We have a Xantrex Truecharge 40 (the 20 would probably be plenty, but the PO installed this one). It will replace the charger you have and add a separate output for the chassis battery. The house batteries are Schwab GC2 golf cart batteries and still fine after five years. We also have solar on the roof through a different controller (house battery only).

Old 10-13-2011, 12:30 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljosephson

There is, and spending a bit on an intelligent charger will prolong the life of the batteries significantly. We have a Xantrex Truecharge 40 (the 20 would probably be plenty, but the PO installed this one). It will replace the charger you have and add a separate output for the chassis battery. The house batteries are Schwab GC2 golf cart batteries and still fine after five years. We also have solar on the roof through a different controller (house battery only).
I like the separate output for the chassis battery...nice idea!

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
The electrical system that I had in my '94 LY included a large alternator (not sure of its size, but there were 2 large chassis batteries (engine was the 5.9 Cummins), a battery isolator and 2 house batteries, which I changed to 6-volt wet cells in series. Because there was a generator, it had an automatic transfer switch with a 60-second time delay relay to allow the generator to be up to a stable 19 volts output before switching over.

I added a 123-watt solar panel and controller, the output of which was connected directly to the house batteries. It worked fine and was great for boondocking.

The caveat is that if the house batteries run low, notwithstanding the isolator, because there are common elements (e.g., the power step), it does draw down on the chassis batteries. I know you'll say it shouldn't, but the fact is that it does. Last year while boondocking near Las Vegas, I had to use my towed car to jump start the motorhome.

I was advised to buy a small generator and a battery charger to use when this happens by other, very experienced, boondockers - since the built-in 6500-watt generator is electric starting off the chassis batteries, if those batteries are low, the only way to start it up is either boosting from a car or using a small portable generator.

BTW, the magazine from the Good Sam club often include a large ad from Harbor Freight. I found the ad that had a 50% discount off their small 800-watt generator and bought it (along with their 2-year warranty) for $110.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #19
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Read this.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...ST_180126a.pdf

The SurePower 1315-200 is the simplest solution to charging two battery systems.

1315-200 Battery Separator
The Battery Separator is designed for use in multi-battery applications as a solenoid priority system to protect the chassis charging system from excessive loading while allowing auxiliary batteries to be charged.

It allows charging both ways. (Why waste that excess solar?)
It protects each battery bank from being discharged by the other.
It has a combiner that will use both battery banks for start if necessary.
It has no voltage drop as does an isolator.
It is small and easy to install.
And it appears to be an AMERICAN PRODUCT.

I have details of my installation on the Clipper here.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f313...tml#post998556

Dave