Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #101
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Glen, that is a very valid point, although the possibility of finding such a shaft here may be remote, to say the least! I will ask around just in case..... Yes! I like that idea a spare shaft - excellent!

This weekend I hope to complete the main change over, then with the "nuts-n-bolts" bit out of the way I can get on with the angles etc., and see what is necessary.

Watch this space; as they say.

Out of interest, the controller.... I had an aftermarket control panel supplied with the unit instead of the GV's own. Has anyone had issues with such controllers?

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #102
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Does imperial gallon contain ethanol?
Just did the math and your gallon is 20% larger than our U.S. gallon so my 9.5-10 mpg with ethanol at about 10% is close, without special muffler.
Yes - OK I spent the bucks on silencers (sorry mufflers). The story goes that when I bought some parts from Summit, I asked about ROUND mufflers and they sent me.... wait for it.....! Little 18" long jobs - Glass Packs? - that more or less cracked every window pane in the cottages along our narrow roads, particularly if a hill was involved. The performance was good but the noise... great on a Charger or other type of racer but a MH? I don't thinks so. Even with two each side it was a case of ..."we know who is coming along the road...... about a mile away!"

Old 02-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Chuck, I hooked Flowmaster 70's to my system. They are not round and we installed them on a 45 degree angle for whatever reason. They are very heavy and sound quite nice but are not too loud.

I have one pipe cross over above the rear drive shaft and both exit out in front of the drive axle on the driver side. So thinking of the right hand drive world all you need to do is have them exit on the passenger side and therefore have the noise if any pointed in the polite direction.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #104
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
OK so I've been reading the mileage stuff posted and I want to know if anyone installed a Banks on their AS. I just bought a 1984 310 because I like to restore stuff and I am sick of on-board computers like all of our late model cars have. The 1984 has a simple distributor, Wires, Plugs etc., and I have the expertise to overhaul the Quadrajet Carb if needs be. Anyone with Banks experience? On the maiden voyage from Amarillo to Lubbock the 1984 got 10MPG. 140 miles 14 gallons reg=10MPG Right?
kmpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #105

Houston , Texas
Just wanted to say hi to everyone
Old 02-12-2010, 06:11 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Welcome Bobby!

KMPRO, 10 is outstanding on a 310 in my book. Do you have a GearVendor? What speed was the test done at?

With a 60 gal. tank it's easy to get readings all over the map when refilling. Just a little change in angle will allow more or less gas to fill the tank. Not that I'm doubting your results I'm just jealous.

There are a few folks on the board who have Banks units but most are on newer chassis I believe. Many of us have done all we can with headers and exhaust work and I for one have built a custom air intake (check my photos for an easy DIY). Add an MSD box for ignition and finally if you're done with the Q-Jet you can go TBFI. It's only money right?
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 02-12-2010, 06:37 AM   #107
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmpro View Post
Amarillo to Lubbock the 1984 got 10MPG. 140 miles 14 gallons reg=10MPG Right?
10 sounds great for an 84 without computer or mods.
Depends on how you determined 10 gallons was used and that speedometer is reading right.
In my car I can have the computer calculate but you don't have one on the AS.
It takes a couple of fillups to get a good average as the station pumps can shut off at different points.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #108
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
I am satisfied that the 10 MPG wasn't a false fill of the tank. Speed was 65MPH temp 40 degrees F. TP was max. One M/H I had years ago I replaced the carb with an elec choke Carter 650 CFM 4BBL and that increased mileage by 2.3 MPG Average. It's only money. I have always wanted to install an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold on a motorhome and see if that improves mileage and torque. I spent too much time with racing guys I guess. One thing that can really affect mileage and performance is the crossover under the carburetor in the intake manifold. They will occasionally plug up and then the manifold doesn't warm up properly and performance suffers. If I ever have that happen again, Stock manifold will go to trash and Edelbrock will replace it.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #109
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1982 28' Airstream 280
Elkmont , Alabama
Choke

Here is what I know about chokes.

The manual calls for adjustment to be done while the engine is cold and the choke is closed.

The problem is the bimetallic spring that heats up from the manifold duct loses its strength over time and does not open the choke fully and the engine runs rich.

Since we start the infrequently but travel long distances it is imperative to get the choke opened fully.
Get the engine hot and adjust the choke to fully open. The engine will start hard but it will operate correctly at temperature. At startup you can keep the engine running by using the accelerator pump.

The solutions are to install the electric choke or a manual choke cable.
deltatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
We've had discussion in the past about the relative carb size and at 650 cfm I think you'll find the best economy. Opening a 4 barrel on a 454 is like flushing a toilet and converting money to noise so why make the toilet bigger? It's interesting that the smallest least expensive TBI is still a 750.

So here's the question ... what was the tach turning at 65 mph?

10 mpg is still pretty darn good without an overdrive on a 31' coach.

And has Lubbock to Amarillo always been a 140 mile trip? Mapquest calls it 124. or 8.8 mpg..... enquiring minds want to know. Just kidding....
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Old 02-12-2010, 03:47 PM   #111
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
If its any interest, I had my Qjet rebuilt by Dick Paterson at Springfield. He replaced the hot air choke with an electric fitting. That made all the difference in gas miles, and runs much better too! As a bonus, if I don't want too much choke, I just leave the ignition turned on for a few seconds more before starting. That gives time for the choke to start opening. - Works every time.
email: dick@paterson-gmc.com web: www.paterson-gmc.com

Another little problem I found fitting the GV, the balance pipe was in the way of the now new position of the trans brake! I did allow some space when fitting the new exhaust, but I am about 1.1/2" shy of clearing the pipe - so I have cut it out for the time being to complete the GV fitting.

So now; do I go for all pipes down the driver-side (allows space for a second Propane tank - a smaller narrow one between drive shaft and chassis for domestic L/gas and replace the existing Propane tank with the same size if not larger one with bottom take off for engine conversion) Or join up the pipe again, or do away with it altogether!

Any thoughts ? Chaps? mmmmm?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
...... I have always wanted to install an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold on a motorhome and see if that improves mileage and torque.
This is the route I'm taking on our 1974 Argosy 454. I've installed an Edelbrock Performer 2-O 2161 w/o EGR intake with an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb (can't remember the number off the top of my head). The engine is built and ready to go back in the motorhome but I haven't had time to finish the install. Hopefully sometime this summer.

I chose this combination for the low end torque because we will be towing a 31' Excella trailer with our 20' Argosy motorhome. The trailer is being converted to a two car race car hauler for our Triumph race cars. So I felt low end torque was a big requirement for us.

Brad

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:21 AM   #113
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Anyone with Banks experience? On the maiden voyage from Amarillo to Lubbock the 1984 got 10MPG. 140 miles 14 gallons reg=10MPG Right?
We have a Banks system installed on our 1984 310 motorhome. On our 310 the Banks system consisted of tubular headers, one large muffler that exits the left side of the motorhome under the kitchen sink, a K&N air filter, air intake ram that fits down in front of the radiator and the tubing/hose from there to the filter housing on the carburetor. Oh yeah it also included the nifty Banks placards that fasten to the sides of the motorhome!

I can't say what if anything it did for the motorhome performance over stock because it was installed before we got the motorhome. I do know the performance of the engine (has about 16,000 miles on it) is pretty darn good. I'm fairly happy with its low end performance and the mileage is around 7 to 9 mpg depending on wind, etc. Keep in mind we never go anywhere in the motorhome without pulling a 3500 lb trailer with Triumph race car on it. We do lose speed in the mountains where we will typically have to drop down to about 45 but other than that performance is just fine.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 02-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
So now; do I go for all pipes down the driver-side (allows space for a second Propane tank - a smaller narrow one between drive shaft and chassis for domestic L/gas and replace the existing Propane tank with the same size if not larger one with bottom take off for engine conversion) Or join up the pipe again, or do away with it altogether!

Any thoughts ? Chaps? mmmmm?
Chuck,

Our 310 has one muffler and its on the drivers side exiting under the kitchen. Its part of the Banks exhaust system. I like it because all the stuff hangs off one side and leaves the other side clear.

Brad
Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #115
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Brad, I like your choice of manifolds and carbs. that should make a big difference in performance and mileage. That's what I have in the back of my mind for my rig. What models of Triumph do you race? I used to run a Triumph TR-3A.
Mike
Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 PM   #116
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad, I like your choice of manifolds and carbs. that should make a big difference in performance and mileage. That's what I have in the back of my mind for my rig. What models of Triumph do you race? I used to run a Triumph TR-3A.
Mike
Mike,

I'm really hoping the manifold/carb combo does the trick. I did a lot of reading and research before making my choice. Time will tell

My wife races a 1967 Triumph Spitfire. I'm crew chief and head mechanic . We own several Triumph street cars, 1961 TR4, !968 Spitfire, 1949 Roadster and a 1980 TR7. We've got a few other antiques as well, enough to keep me busy until I'm to old to turn a wrench.

At one point I was building a TR3 vintage race car but ended up selling it after looking at the costs involved in trying to race and then the up keep for two cars at the same time.

Brad
Old 02-16-2010, 04:27 AM   #117
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
Smile Motorhome Mileage

Brad:
I envy you with a great escuderia like that. I had a 1958 Triumph and later a 1958 MGA that was a veteran of many SCCA race week-ends. We lived in Amarillo, Tx at the time. Due to the weather, it was my car in the winter and my wife's in the summer. She picked up 5 traffic tickets racing to the supermarket. I had a stage 3 engine in the MG so it wasn't too hard to get above the speed limit quickly. I miss those days.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 PM   #118
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad:
I envy you with a great escuderia like that. I had a 1958 Triumph and later a 1958 MGA that was a veteran of many SCCA race week-ends. We lived in Amarillo, Tx at the time. Due to the weather, it was my car in the winter and my wife's in the summer. She picked up 5 traffic tickets racing to the supermarket. I had a stage 3 engine in the MG so it wasn't too hard to get above the speed limit quickly. I miss those days.
Now why I wonder did you get the car in the winter......

We started out racing at TWS in 2000 and raced there for a number of years with CVAR. Unfortunately moving to Arkansas and now Kentucky has pretty much kept us away from that track.

There is no way Susan could drive her race Spitfire on the street. It only has 2-7/8" clearance from the front cross member to the road. She bottoms out from time to time on bad transitions.

Nice to hear someone else on the forums raced old British race cars. Another forum member races a Corvair, we ran across him at Black Hawk Farms last October.

Brad
Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #119
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
The MG was murder to start in cold weather, and sometimes I would have to use the hand crank to start it. I never put the top up, always drove with the tonneau cover on the right side and the heater wide open. My wife drove the 2dr hardtop in winter because she didn't do the crank in the nose thing on the MG. Wish I still had the MG. Fun car.

Mike
Old 02-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #120
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
The MG was murder to start in cold weather, and sometimes I would have to use the hand crank to start it. I never put the top up, always drove with the tonneau cover on the right side and the heater wide open. My wife drove the 2dr hardtop in winter because she didn't do the crank in the nose thing on the MG. Wish I still had the MG. Fun car.
Hand cranks, ya gotta love em! I would imagine all the little British cars were fun cars.

My TR4 has that nice little feature as well. Hopefully I'll not have to use it.