Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Mice in the motorhome

Ok, this is war!!! I hate to say it, but I have an issue with mice getting into the MH. For several weeks I've seen mouse turds here and there. I set out traps and day one I caught two. Since then, several weeks have gone by with no additional mice caught and no traps tripped. Today I found one of the traps tripped and another mouse. Just can't seem to see how they're getting in and how to stop it. Any suggestions on how to stop this rodent issue from running away with my MH?
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92landyacht View Post
Ok, this is war!!! I hate to say it, but I have an issue with mice getting into the MH. For several weeks I've seen mouse turds here and there. I set out traps and day one I caught two. Since then, several weeks have gone by with no additional mice caught and no traps tripped. Today I found one of the traps tripped and another mouse. Just can't seem to see how they're getting in and how to stop it. Any suggestions on how to stop this rodent issue from running away with my MH?
First, stick with traps. At least with traps they die where you can find them, and don't rot away inside the walls to stink up the place. Unlike poison, which is likely to kill them in their lair where you'll never find them without tearing apart the motorhome.

Second, mice don't fly. Start at ground level and work your way up when looking for their point of entry. Floor openings for plumbing (including propane plumbing) are likely points of entry. But also look at exterior vents (fridge, furnace, etc.) and the opening for any retractable steps.

Third, get a pet. Cats may be traditional enemies of mice, but domestic cats that have never hunted mice don't know how to kill them, and will just play with them to death. A terrier is a better choice for mouse deterrent, and can do double duty as thief deterrent and a conversation starter during walkies around the campground.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
A coworker dealt with similar issues and used some of the following. Peppermint, moth balls, brillo pads, traps, and the high pitched sonar devices. He then placed a VERY fine mesh over and around all openings and sprayed Great Stuff expanding foam into all crevices. He also leaves a bucket of water in the trailer and found several in it over time.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Our 2,000 has all that Protagonist mentioned plus, I found they used carpet to cover holes made by the plumbers, most holes can be filled with bronze or ss wool and foam but the problem is finding them.
You didn't say where you found the turds. I found a nest in the duct from the furnace that heats the bathroom, that said they had free reign of the duct system, nest was paper from the kitchen and bathroom.
Dash is a real good area for concern many items with oversize holes.
Sounds like you caught the easy ones, in reading found somebody had improved the trap by tying a small piece of yarn on the bait arm and smearing peanut butter on it, mice love pb and the yarn sticks in their teeth.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
FYI,
Bait your traps with Rollo candy. Seriously, I had a professional exterminator tell me about using the candy. He discovered it when every time a quick stop store or grocery store would call with mice problems the mice had aways eaten the Rollo's. He said that since he started using Rollo candy in his "sticky box" type mouse traps he always catches the critters. He said he had done trials with Rollo vs peanut butter and the Rollo's always won. I had a mouse in my Trade Wind and he met his end eating Rollo candy the first night.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1995 36' Classic 36
Ludington , Michigan
This new product by Dow works well.

http://www.dow.com/news/business/2012/20120209a.htm

Eliminate their food and water source and they will leave on their own.
Kota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Thanks for the info guys!!! I'll dissect (pardon the pun) the information and go from there.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Loser

La Ronge , Saskatchewan
If you plan on trying traps or otherwise pitting your human intelligence against the rodent mind, prepare to lose.

The easy (and perfectly safe if done carefully) solution is to use a Warfarin-based poison like D-Con. The mouse feels very thirsty when it has eaten the bait, then leaves the vehicle in search of water and dies soon after it has drunk. No rotting corpse in the MH.

I use D-Con bait in any vehicle that is sitting over the winter months, since the little guys come inside to seek shelter every Fall, ditto in our house. In the MH I always have 3 bait boxes. Here is where the care comes in: I empty the bait from the D-Con box into a shallow tupperware container or sandwich container (of the disposable type) and put a 1" diameter hole starting 3/4" or so above the bottom, so the bait cannot spill out. I then place the bait where a small pet cannot get at it. In the AS an ideal place is behind the big drawer under the couch, which is very easy to pull out completely and then replace. Another spot is under the dinette benches (if there is no pet access to the area), and yet another is to pull out one of the bottom kitchen drawers and place the container in there, similarly with bedroom drawer stacks if your MH has them. Make sure there is enough space for the drawer to close without crushing the baitbox.

If you have an active long-term mouse infestation, you will want to check your containers daily for 2 or 3 days, because you may well have an extended family living there. In my experience, once you have had the D-Con in the vehicle for a while, it never seems to get depleted..... I presume the Rodent Public Service Department puts up some kind of "No Entry - This Area Unsafe" sign.
Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch View Post
The easy (and perfectly safe if done carefully) solution is to use a Warfarin-based poison like D-Con. The mouse feels very thirsty when it has eaten the bait, then leaves the vehicle in search of water and dies soon after it has drunk. No rotting corpse in the MH.
This does presume that you have no leaks, condensation, or other sources of water that a mouse can access INSIDE your Airstream!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
Peppermint Oil on cotton balls and on dryer sheets placed around interior corners, cabinets etc of trailer. Havent had a problem plus trailer smells minty.
LilNomad
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Wetaskiwin , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
This does presume that you have no leaks, condensation, or other sources of water that a mouse can access INSIDE your Airstream!
If you have mouse drinking pools inside your motor home then mice are probably a minor issue.
Penmaenmawr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:33 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penmaenmawr View Post
If you have mouse drinking pools inside your motor home then mice are probably a minor issue.
Mice are never a minor issue. They keep you from being able to use campgrounds that have a "no pets" policy!

Oh! There's a solution. If you can't beat them, join them. Give them cute names and call them pets!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Love those meeces to pieces

A few years back I received the shock of my life, Not a single sign of a mouse!...after sitting in the shed all winter. I had a hard time understanding why the mice were suddenly boycotting my airstream. Not one trap set off and no signs of turds or chewing. Considering the extensive damage done the year before to my drapes I was relieved.

Whatever I did I have no idea but the mice did return next year. Keep food out of the trailer/motor-home and set traps (many traps). I also was advised by another member that #1 buck shot is easily repaired with rivets. No more 357 after that , it was great advice.

one member found the remains of a snake when the pan was dropped...that would work but some of those snakes can be a pain to get out and I heard rumors that snakes occasionally get a bit bitey!
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Trap OUTSIDE, Not inside..

Rollos sound good. Two for you one for mouse!!!

Outside...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Cab Fresh inside (smells good to me...bad to mice)
Moth balls outside on the ground & a few in the jack base plates (smells bad to all)
Remove all food after each trip
Don't store paper towels or tp inside (nesting material)
Worked for us! no mice in almost 2 years.

We trapped several (5 or 6) inside before we decided we we luring the mice in with the p-nut butter in the traps...decided we preferred to keep them out! The cab fresh & the moth balls seem to do the trick.
Schools Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 06:49 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Airstream Coach - Other
ancramdale , New York
first,leave no paper towel or kleenex boxes or toilet paper or soap....i fill a tall plastic bucket with about 6" or more of water...i put peanut butter 2'or3'inside just below the rim...then a small ramp up with a nail at the top so it does not slide..the mouse go up,try to reach the p.butter and fall in the water and drown....I empty the bucket and refresh ..it works great...at some point they stop coming in....plus i do put peppermint oil here and there in drawers etc....Living in the woods ,its unavoidable,they do come in to find a cosy place to spend the winter and have babies.....Plus the fact that i have a minn.Pincher helps...good luck!
la nomade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Ya, My house is surrounded by woods as well. Seems like a constant battle to keep them under control. I found a product called "Fresh Cab" that seems to be working. Keeps the MH smelling clean too.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1993 33' Land Yacht
Midland , Michigan
Mice intrusion

QUOTE: "Just can't seem to see how they're getting in and how to stop it. Any suggestions on how to stop this rodent issue from running away with my MH?"
92landyacht,
When I removed the rear nightstands on each side of the bed for access to replace turn signals and backup lights with LED bulbs - I discovered Airstream's poor design (not only for access to the bulbs) but in body construction. There are big holes open directly to the outside, making it very easy for mice intrusion and nesting underneath these cabinets. No insulation in that area either. On one side I was able to use Styrofoam attached to luan to block the hole, but on the fresh water inlet side along with the generator transfer box - all the wiring- it is impossible to block hole efficiently. I will try to post pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2092.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	292.9 KB
ID:	204785   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2094.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	204786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2095.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	204787  

https://s1290.photobucket.com/user/gl...58808196506793
gloran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:26 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I screened all the openings (including the tube steel in the front end), and put dryer sheets all over the place during storage. Have traps outside. Have never had a mouse in six years. Maybe just correlation not causation.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote