Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Angry Have to send to salvage yard

Grew up with an Airstream trailer, traveling summers with my family. As an adult I've always dreamed of having my own Airstream. I was in heaven when my father decided to give me his. But he was concerned about me pulling a 34' tow behind (still trying to protect his little-not-girl). The '94 Land yacht arrived at the lot where he stored is pull behind and he thought it would be better if I had the MoHo. He worked out a trade with the owner of the storage/repair facility. The MoHo has leaked from day one. Finally found someone to replace the roof and not charge me a fortune. Begun tearing the roof off today only to discover that not only was the whole thing rotten (knew that), but the support beams were rusted out as well. I was appalled to the that the under the vinyl top was luan, foam, and luan. That's it! The replacement cost tripled! Needless to say, it's headed to the salvage yard. I am so sad. I have been looking for another Airstream MoHo, but can't find any that are less than $10,000. I feel that my father was totally ripped off! His 34' was in pristine condition. He was led to believe that this MoHo was in good condition. Lesson learned......get on the roof and walk around before driving off the lot. That's what I should have done. Have learned a lot about MoHos in the last year. Will have another one day.
possummamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hunhhhhh?

I have not a clue as to what you just wrote. Say again...over.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I have not a clue as to what you just wrote. Say again...over.
I got it...no problem.

Her faher had a 34' trailer, traded it for a '94 Land Yacht (which is a fiberglass Airstream MoHo). The roof leaked, she took it in to be fixed and found out the roof structure was rotten underneath the outside fiberglass sheet. Now it's off to the junk yard because it's too much $$$ to fixed...Possummamma is sad & pi$$ed off & feels dad got ripped off! Rightly so!

Sorry to hear your Airstream-dream is on hold for now Possum. I assume too much time has transpired since the trade to go back after the original owner? Bummer...

Keep your eyes open...another one with your name on it is out there!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:32 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Madison , Mississippi
How much is the repair estimate?
Birdwell57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Here You Go...

1990 Airstream Land Yacht - $8900 (Albany Ohio)

Date: 2010-04-29, 9:50PM EDT
Reply to: sale-63jdk-1717124763@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

36ft Land Yacht ready to go camping this summer. Options include 454 engine, power step, automatic leveling system, air ride, generator, alcoa aluminum wheels 2 flat screen tvs, vcr/dvd/satelite and on board vaccum. I have just recently done the following to the motor home. 3 new batteries, complete tuneup on generator and engine, new AC compressor, new roof air and brake work. I have all the reciepts for the work... I am sure I am forgetting to list some things! I spent over 3,000 getting this thing ready to go. Overall condition of the motor home is good, I took it on a 6hr trip last year as well as several trips within 100 miles. Runs and drives great... ready for its next trip! Just bought a newer motorhome so this one must go. Comfortably sleeps 6 with plenty of storage.

Call Chris with any quetions
740 707 6494
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1717124763
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Aluminum still gets my vote. Roof leaks are the bane of early fiberglass AS moho's.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Get some $$ out of it

Hey possummamma, have you thought about parting it out 1st? You could recover some $$$ or start a new AS fund with the cash from selling parts. Salvage yards are great but why let them have all the fun (read $$$).

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganglin View Post
1990 Airstream Land Yacht - $8900 (Albany Ohio)

Date: 2010-04-29, 9:50PM EDT
Reply to: sale-63jdk-1717124763@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

36ft Land Yacht ready to go camping this summer. Options include 454 engine, power step, automatic leveling system, air ride, generator, alcoa aluminum wheels 2 flat screen tvs, vcr/dvd/satelite and on board vaccum. I have just recently done the following to the motor home. 3 new batteries, complete tuneup on generator and engine, new AC compressor, new roof air and brake work. I have all the reciepts for the work... I am sure I am forgetting to list some things! I spent over 3,000 getting this thing ready to go. Overall condition of the motor home is good, I took it on a 6hr trip last year as well as several trips within 100 miles. Runs and drives great... ready for its next trip! Just bought a newer motorhome so this one must go. Comfortably sleeps 6 with plenty of storage.

Call Chris with any quetions
740 707 6494
  • it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1717124763
Totally interested. Need to know condition of roof!!!!!! is it soft in ANY spots. when was it last sealed? ANY previous leak issues? Does it have cool Dash air?
How old are the tires? Does the back up camera work? What number owner are you? How long have you had it?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
Hey possummamma, have you thought about parting it out 1st? You could recover some $$$ or start a new AS fund with the cash from selling parts. Salvage yards are great but why let them have all the fun (read $$$).

Ricky
Ricky,
I don't live in an area that is very condusive to parting out. I'm lucky I haven't been asked to remove it from my drive way. But I do have it in storage now and have another plan to fix it before scrapping it. Unless I find something else. I'd like to get hold of an all aluminum motor home. is it the Argosy?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
There is also the Airstream Classic Land Yacht, which has the identical layout on the same chassis, but the construction is aluminum, just like the trailers. They are rare to find, though.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salvage, land yacht