Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-02-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Generator tune up questions

I have an Onan 6.5 kw genset. Im looking for the carb settings. Does anyone have an owners manual or repair manual for one of these. Seems like all the dealers insist on getting me to bring it in so they sell me with a bunch of overpriced repairs that may or may not be neccesary.

Thanks in advance.
jaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 05:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
jaiman:

FWIW:

I spent almost a hundred bucks on a "repair kit" for the carb. Never could get the settings right. Ended up replacing the whole carb.

A new carb is less than $150. In hindsight, I should have bought the new carb to start with. Take the old one in with you when you purchase the new one, I know at least two types of carburetors were installed on the 6.5.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:19 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
In this case I am not sure it is just the dealer wanting to increase income. The voltage and frequency are set through carb adjustment, you can probably get close but that is not all that great with electronics.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Procedure.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	7005  
Attached Images

74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 06:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Use a volt or frequency meter

Be very careful when making gross adjustments to the speed control - make sure everything (especially the Univolt) is "off" prior to adjusting the speed. It doesn't take much to get into an extremely "high" or ""low" voltage situation.

Pay close attention to step #2 in John's post above. The primary speed (frequency) controller is the stop nut on the throttle control (governor)/carb linkage. This correction (primary throttle linkage/speed control) and the carb stop need to be set before "fine tuning" the carb jets.

For a quick check of your existing carb internals, pull both of the needle jets, make sure you can return to the original settings, though (count the number of turns to the stop). The needles on my (old, original) carb were really eroded after 725 total hours.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote