Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > General Motorhome Topics
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2003, 09:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

generator compartment insulation

The foil face of the compartment insulation has let go. Where do I get new and how do I replace this insulation.
mlmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 12:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
You need heat resistance and sound dampening both, and they are pretty much seperate insulations. I am working on this in several areas of my mh right now so here are a few links:

Pacor
Cotronics
Cool and Quiet
J. C. Whitney

I got spray heat insulation and sound deadener from Parts Express for use on the cowl, doghouse, and floor. I haven't applied these yet so I can't comment on the effectiveness, but liked the spray for all the nooks and crannies in this area.

Most of the performance sites will also offer insulation. Just make sure the adhesive is high temp.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
John,
Have you tried the spray on stuff yet? I need something for my DH. Probably will spray first, then use stick on insulation, if you have a good report on the stuff.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 06:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I made a new aluminum front inner roof and sprayed it on the top of that. It was out in the sun for several hours the day I was going to put it in. I figured it would be too hot to handle but it wasn't. I was pretty impressed by it.

John
Old 08-11-2003, 07:13 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

gen compartment insulation

John
The alum insert-could you be a little more specific on what you did- typ compartment has insul on top and three sides. I would like to replace the old foil faced(which has failed) with something that will handle both the sound and heat. The old insul was the glued on foam with alum face.
mlmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 10:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
My original end cap was plastic and trashed. I made the one below with .040 and .063 aluminum and sprayed the top of it with vblock. It is a white latex based ceramic insulation. When applied it ends up as a very rough surface. The white color probably helped keep the metal cool the day I installed it, but I really was suprised at how cool the aluminum was, I expected to have to use gloves to handle it. I am not sure how it would react with contact adhesive if you plan on using another layer of insulation over it.

The best way would be to replace what you have, but you are going to need to clean the metal surface very well so the adhesive will stick. I have used foam and chopped fiber, both are foil faced and need to be glued. The foam seems a little better, but it is thicker and more expensive. I think Peter79mh used chicken wire inside his generator compartment to hold his insulation in place. It sounds like a good idea to extend the life. He should be able to give you details of how he did this.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_0101.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	2610