Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bambi and Bambi II > 1961 - 1963 Bambi
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
1963 Bambi

As I have prepaired myself to face the daunting task of referbing my wife's Grandfather's '63 Bambi I enjoyed reading several of the sites Threads who's members had done or are in the process of doing the same and started a discussion on their progress. So I thought I would do the same. Maybe it will be as popular as 'Jim & Susan' or 'NorCal' and maybe it won't. But what I am hoping for is the assistance of the forum and its members so that I actually get this thing done and hopefully to make it enjoyable. I look forward to getting to know some of you and hope that you find some of my Engineering to be interesting at the least. Also, I am trying to keep a blog of these events as well, so if you would like to read the story behind this trailer and to timeline to date check out this link.

1963 Airstream Bambi Restoration
Old 10-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Good start. Looks like your knee deep into it. Keep your head and try not to let the project overwhelm you. Good luck!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
Pictures

I know how important pictures are, so I will start with what I have and what I have done to-date.

I have gutted most of the trailer...not that there is a lot to get out, but it has taken me over a year of procrastinating to get me to where I am now. so the only big thing to get out of the inside is the Hot water heater. so here are some pictures...lets see if I need more practice with the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wetbath.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	89410  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp before1.bmp (88.3 KB, 113 views)
File Type: bmp fwd.bmp (87.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: bmp streetside.bmp (87.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
Sorry about the last post of pictures...I will try to post better ones tonight when I get home.

Thanks Silver!
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
little history and ROT

So, I was given this trailer because my Wife's Grandfather just about rolled it down a hill. It had a dent in the forward curb side and near the aft curb side...it landed on the side after rolling off a deck. Don't ask how...just that everyone lived through it and no one was in the trailer at the time.
There is quite a bit of push in on the curb side, this I can tell by how the wheel well is folded and how the door closes. I think it is all fixable and the camper will always have a story to tell. I will have to find ways to make it fire side acceptable.

Knowing that the skin needed to be messaged close to original form I looked into the other areas the we all know are trouble areas...LIKE THE FLOOR. Yeah, it has some rot. not much, just in the back, but it is so bad that the shell is sagging onto the fram. maybe I need to get a picture of that....??? So I think I will end up replacing the entire floor but I haven't decided if I am going to to do a shell off. I know that there are camps that go in both directions and I have read the arguments...believe me I have read them. I think it will depend on the amount of frame rot I have.

which gets me to where I am today. Last night I pulled the bath pan our and got to see my first look at the frame rot that I am faced with. (see the pictures below.) Lucky for me I am a Welding Engineer and this part is the easiest thing I see to fix. So, soon I will be dropping the belly pan and seeing how bad the rest of it is and if the shell is going to come off which leads me to a big question that I will ask in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1355.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	89411   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1357.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	89412  

Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
My big question...

I live in the south...In New Orleans. We don't do Garages. so I am going to be doing this all out of doors. If I do a shell off the shell will be setting in the grass next to the frame and I will have to lift it off by hand. Has anyone done this? If I shouldn't, why? and what do I need to know/do before I start down this path.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
1990 34' Limited
Cape Coral , Florida
If you elect to go the shell-off approach and have enough beer on hand, it should be a simple matter for six guys to left off the shell and set off to the side. Strongly suggest that you brace the shape and store it level. Some suggest you strap it down as there are stories of a good wind catching a shell and depositing several yards down the block.
dieseleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
Got beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseleagle View Post
If you elect to go the shell-off approach and have enough beer on hand, it should be a simple matter for six guys to left off the shell and set off to the side. Strongly suggest that you brace the shape and store it level. Some suggest you strap it down as there are stories of a good wind catching a shell and depositing several yards down the block.
I hear ya...that was my thoughts too. I brew my own beer, so I have a feeling I will be able to get 6 guys to drink it...after we move the shell that is.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
pictures

Here are some of the pictures I promised:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rsz_img_0738.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	542.9 KB
ID:	89453   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_0714.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	89454  

Name:	rsz_img_0719.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	89455   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_img_0734.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	461.9 KB
ID:	89456  

Old 10-21-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
By the way

I want to encourage anyone to comment on this Thread. I may have started it, but I don't own it. Plus, discussions will only bring about results and if we disagree, we can just agree to disagree. Later-
Old 10-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
I got some better pictures of the frame rot, floor rot with rodent damage, and the Black tank/bath pan.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1366.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	89699   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1368.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	342.9 KB
ID:	89700  

Name:	DSCN1359.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	89701  
Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
This was interesting and a relief at the same time...the picture below is of the A/C that I will be getting rid of. when it was installed someone used wood to reinforce the shell and inside pannels. I may leave them in when I replace it with my Fantasitc fan. I am opting to us a window unit when we need it. The relief was that I didn't know if they had cut any or the skin to install the A/C...from what I can see it is all there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1378.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	89702   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1376.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	89703  

Old 10-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Frame work

Here's a few photos of the rear area on our 63 safari (not a wet bath model). rear crossmember as well as the crossbrace the rear wall bolts through were virtually gone. The main frame rails weren't bad. You can see the major rust, pieces gone. I cut out the cross members (which are made of sheet metal I might add) and replaced the back brace under the back wall with angle iron instead of the flat stock which I didn't feel gave enough support. Next shows a coat of por-15, can't find the finished coat photo, but gives you an idea, then after installing the plywood. I had to split that last piece of plywood because of the vents, pipes etc, provided a very wide support where the splice met up with lots of construction adhesive and screws. Damage on yours looks simliar. Take lots of pictures of where things are, measure holes best you can, then remove the inner lower skins and start taking all the little screws etc out (I ended up cutting almost all the bolts and screw to get them loose.) Then take the plywood out, saving the shape if possible for a template, get a good welder over to your house if you aren't a good one yourself, and in a few days you can have a very solid back end to the trailer. It isn't as bad as it might appear!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3572 (Medium).JPG
Views:	160
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	89710   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3573.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	89711  

Name:	IMG_3647 (Medium).JPG
Views:	147
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	89712   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3658 (Medium).JPG
Views:	152
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	89713  

goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:17 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I am watching your progress kaffe and only have one comment so far. You back porch looks just like my side yard at the moment... Covered in cabinets, aluminum and stuff!
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowmans View Post
I am watching your progress kaffe and only have one comment so far. You back porch looks just like my side yard at the moment... Covered in cabinets, aluminum and stuff!
since that picture was taken I actually built a shed to store all the Bambi parts in...see attached picture. I told my wife that when I was done with the Bambi she could use it as storage...cause I already have two other sheds
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shed.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	89726  
Old 10-25-2009, 06:51 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Here's a few photos of the rear area on our 63 safari (not a wet bath model). rear crossmember as well as the crossbrace the rear wall bolts through were virtually gone. The main frame rails weren't bad. You can see the major rust, pieces gone. I cut out the cross members (which are made of sheet metal I might add) and replaced the back brace under the back wall with angle iron instead of the flat stock which I didn't feel gave enough support. Next shows a coat of por-15, can't find the finished coat photo, but gives you an idea, then after installing the plywood. I had to split that last piece of plywood because of the vents, pipes etc, provided a very wide support where the splice met up with lots of construction adhesive and screws. Damage on yours looks simliar. Take lots of pictures of where things are, measure holes best you can, then remove the inner lower skins and start taking all the little screws etc out (I ended up cutting almost all the bolts and screw to get them loose.) Then take the plywood out, saving the shape if possible for a template, get a good welder over to your house if you aren't a good one yourself, and in a few days you can have a very solid back end to the trailer. It isn't as bad as it might appear!

Thanks for the pictures and info...Thankfully here in New Orleans we don't have bad winters so I am hoping by new year to have the floor replaced. so Check back!
Old 10-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Looks familiar

Kaffe --

Good luck. You have a great project started.

Adding to Scott's good advice: before you have the welder over, think about whether you are adding a grey tank. If you are, plan your supports and plumbing before he starts. A little extra beefing won't add much weight but will add greatly to your peace of mind.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:03 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
Kaffe --

Good luck. You have a great project started.

Adding to Scott's good advice: before you have the welder over, think about whether you are adding a grey tank. If you are, plan your supports and plumbing before he starts. A little extra beefing won't add much weight but will add greatly to your peace of mind.
Great advice...luckly, I am the welder and I am def. adding a gray tank. I just need to decide on size...what has other people used. I think I remember NorCal addind a 15 gal., that sounds about right.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
longmont , Colorado
Are you going to reuse the goucho frames or make new ones? I recently purchased a 61 Bambi that a prior owner had removed both gouchos-replaced with a metal frame pull out bed and table. Used at a construction site I think. Would you want to sell these? I need at least pictures and dimensions of same to remake these unoits. I have seen general blurprints available on the vintage airstream website but not specific dimensions and how to stuff included.
jimshaner@ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
longmont , Colorado
ALso, I want to replace porta potty type toilet with a Dometic 500..can this be done? I am ignorant of all Bambi systems at this point. DO you have to plumb differently for a flush toilet?
jimshaner@ms is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags