Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2002, 01:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Trans service

I am considering doing my own trans service. I have serviced just about everything else on my own...so why not.
Anyone done this? Anything special I should look out for?
I would assume :
1. pull the pan- drain fluid
2. replace the filter assembly,
3.remount a new gasket and the pan.
4. Fill with fluid.

so whaddayathink yay or nay?
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:00 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Alan,

On mine I have an aux transmission filter that is a canister type. I would look for that and change it too.

The only thing that you would want to have a pro do would be any adjustments that are necessary to the bands. If it is shifting fine I would say DIY. If not then I would let a pro do it.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2002, 02:30 PM   #3
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Trans service

A large amount of your fluid is inside the torque converter. If it has a drain, then I suggest to drain the torque converter as well. If not, then it might be a good idea to get the transmission flushed . They hook up a machine and completely flush new fluid through the entire transmission. We have several quick lube service centers and transmission shops around here that do this.
Consider also that a good transmission shop ( not a quick lube center) will point out things they see while servicing your A/T that you might not be aware of; things that might save you a lot of trouble "down the road". You might save $100 or so by doing it yourself, but you'll end up with the mess and disposal issues etc. , and the lack of attention from a professional technician.
Old 08-29-2002, 02:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Loosen all the pan bolts, then pull all but a few from one end. You will probably have to pry the pan loose from the case, let the free end down slowly, the whole pan will be full of fluid. It will go everywhere if you are not careful. It will also drip for days without the pan, so be prepared for a mess.

Some small particles in the bottom of the pan are normal from wear so don't worry about that. The fluid will probably be dark but should not smell burned.

It is an easy job, just wear old clothes and have a bag of oil dry ready.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 06:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Thanks for the good advice. I am prepared for the mess, but also considering letting a shop do it for some of the reasons above.
Also my local RV place recommends synth trans fluid, after a flush service. Any thoughts?
I have synth oil in the gen set, but run Valvoline for higher mileage engines in the motor.By the way my trans shifts fine, but I added 1 quart too much fluid in error, and that is motivating the setvice at this point. (parked on an incline when I checked the level, dummy me)
Old 08-30-2002, 06:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Synthetics are great, higher breakdown temps, more heat dissipation, better lubrication. I have it in my rear axle, will use in the engine and trans as soon as they are broken in. If you do, I would carry a few quarts extra in case you break a line, develop a leak, etc. on the road. Could be just the manufacturers and vendors, but I have heard different synthetics should not be mixed.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 08:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Alan,
I'd go for the synthetic trans fluid. It is definately worth it for larger vehicles that place a load on the transmission. It is less volatile and will stand up to higher heat without losing the properties necessary for proper functioning.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2002, 10:17 AM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Cool and clean

Transmissions like clean and cool fluid. This is very important. I believe that Synthetic trans fluid is superior in all aspects, but it still will get dirty, will still have to suspend particles, and absorb moisture from condensation etc.
I have considered it for my vehicles, but have decided to opt for regular quality fluid, that gets changed more often. Many synthetic fluid manufacturers claim that he fluid can be left in the trans much longer than regular fluid. This is how they try and overcome the much higher cost hurdle. This is the one thing about synthetics that I do not believe in.
If you want better lubrication, and don't mind the extra money, then it's definitely a good idea. But keep in mind that motorhomes as well as tow vehicles create a severe service situation almost full time, and regular transmission service is essential for trouble free operation, in my experience.
There is no problem mixing synthetic fluids or oils with regular brands, by the way. It's ok to refill with regular oil, and it's ok to mix brands. Synthetic brake fluid, or silicone brake fluid, however, should not be mixed.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the last comments intrigued me- you are saying its no problem to add a quart of non synth oil if necessary to my crankcase?
I didn't think this was ok. If so it would save me an ocassional pain when I don't have the synth around but do have a quart of Valvoline. I only have the synth in the gen set.
I also agree with changing of the fluid more frequently. However I consider too that I will only put on a few thousand miles a year on my AS and so the fluid will get more time between changes, than it will miles. I am hoping the breakdown over time would be less for the synth trans fluid.
I also figure on changing my brake fluid shortly, but will probably stay with the usual DOT fluid.
Thanks all.