Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
La Quinta , California
Tag axle brake on 1986 34.5

New to this forum. Just acquired a 1986 34.5 motor home. Recently drove it from WA to Southern CA. On the trip down my passenger side tag axle started making a grinding noise. I took it apart to find parts from what looks like an electric drum brake rolling around inside. Cleaned it all out and put it back together sans the brake parts. Can someone tell me what that brake on the tag axle is for and if I can still find parts for it? Is it necessary? What activates it?
bbabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
My 345 is rolling without brakes on the tag axel. I really want to get them in and working again.
Andy from inland RV has said that the brake setup on AS trailer will fit the tag axel. Got to contact him soon and get this together. I'm needing the entire wheel assembly and the controller.

I did have the brake fluid boil on the way down from Lake Tahoe last summer, not good.
Have replaced the fluid with higher spec. Fluid. Haven't really tested it yet, but think another set of wheels braking woun't hurt the stopping capabilities.

Let's see what else turns up here, lots of helpfull knowledge at hand, and I'm all ears.

Oh, welcome to the forum, great to have another Classic AS motorhome guy on board!

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The brake assemblies are standard 12x2 brakes. One right and one left. Replace them both, and make sure the brake controller on the dash is activating them.
Old 12-26-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Thanks Overlander 63,, can you share more about the break controller in the dash? Location, how it's activated, troubleshooting, etc.

Cheers Richard
Old 12-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
All right, I finally found the relevant part of my manuals covering the brakes for the tag axel.
The pendulum activated controller was apparently removed from the left side of the steering colum when the gear vendor was installed after market. I did see a little black box stuffed up into the spider web of wires in the dash while in there fixing some switches.

Will have to revisit and check it out. Will report what turns up.

Cheers Richard
Old 12-29-2014, 08:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
La Quinta , California
Thanks for the thoughts on the tag axle brakes. Will see what I can do with them. Nice having people that know about these rigs.

Brcok
bbabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I'm trying to forward pics of the pages in the manual. Seem to have to post one at a time. Hope they are legible .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	229417  
Old 12-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Hi Bbabich
Sorry about the loss of detail, but here is another.

Andy at inland RV is a regular poster here, with lots of good info and inland R V supplies parts and may have the parts needed for the tag axel brake repair.
I will be touching in with him soon and will share any helpful info that come up.

The are located in Corona Ca. And not too far from you perhaps.

Looking back,
What a tease, these pics just can't be read, I can't seem to post them any better.
Cheers Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	229418  
Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
All I know is don't throw anything away unless you have the replacement part in your hand and it fits. I think the drum on the tags are not replacable but don't quote me on that. Andy at Inland RV should be able to tell you what you can and can't replace. This is a reason I chose the single axle 310.

Hope to see you introduce yourself in the Classic motorhome forum section and come and meet the inmates.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
I just spoke with Andy, and they do have the complete backing plate for each side. These come complete with all parts needed magnets, springs, shoes, etc.
Part # 73275 and 73289. Well priced too, at $65 per side.

I had been expecting to have him join our conversation here with details.
But apparently he is on a forced vacation from the forum.
Wonder what that is about? He is such a helpful resource !

Cheers Richard
Old 12-30-2014, 05:57 AM   #11
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tevake View Post
I just spoke with Andy, and they do have the complete backing plate for each side. These come complete with all parts needed magnets, springs, shoes, etc.
Part # 73275 and 73289. Well priced too, at $65 per side.

I had been expecting to have him join our conversation here with details.
But apparently he is on a forced vacation from the forum.
Wonder what that is about? He is such a helpful resource !

Cheers Richard
There are a number of voices we haven't heard from recently. Steve(Keyair) and Brad (Bkalher) have strangely been silent too.
I don't know what it takes to get banned from this site? Although I did have a post removed (made reference to Government motors on a GMC Sierra love in).

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:23 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1992 36' Land Yacht
Grayson , Georgia
Here's a link to my TAG axle rebuild with a complete picture tutorial:

TAG axle rebuild
92landyacht is offline   Reply With Quote