Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2005, 05:20 PM   #21
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Alan,
I've read that you should change it every two years. Anyone else heard or know the change interval? That's part of the reason why I bought the super dooper vacuum brake bleeder kit. Figured it would make this rather un-enjoyable process a little more tolerable.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 05:53 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Alan,
I've read that you should change it every two years. Anyone else heard or know the change interval? That's part of the reason why I bought the super dooper vacuum brake bleeder kit. Figured it would make this rather un-enjoyable process a little more tolerable.
24 months, 30,000 miles, or when it becomes discolored. Brake fluid is alcohol based, and tends to absorb moisture. This is a problem for vehicles driven only occasionally (like motor homes), or vehicles stored in humid climates (like the Southeast US).
Old 09-13-2005, 07:37 PM   #23
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Bled the rears tonight. Wow....UUUGGGLLLLYYYY fluid. I like the vacuum pump. Pulled about two big cans of new fuild through the system. Got into the third can on the last brake.

Also pulled the calipers on all four corners to check pads. Found the inner front passenger pad detached from the backing. Also notice this rotor was dragging heavily on the brake. I could still turn it by hand, but could it be the problem?

Off to AutoZone to get new pads. Funny...this all started with "I better top off the brake fluid".
Old 09-19-2005, 02:00 PM   #24
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Just to close this out. We went on a quick camping trip this weekend and everything worked great. In fact I also noticed my left front wheel bearing was a little loose when I replaced the pads.

Brakes worked great, and a number of smaller rattles from the front end are now gone. Fluid level was exactly where I left it after 180 miles round trip.

Thanks, as always, to everyone for their opinions, experience and advice. Once again the forum saves.

Off to Vegas this week....yeee haaa!
Old 09-19-2005, 06:25 PM   #25
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Off to Vegas this week....yeee haaa!
Careful. You may go out there in a $30,000 Airstream, and come back in a $300,000 Greyhound...