Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Cutter Bus
El Paso , Texas
Need Power steering pump help!

I have a 1996 Airstream 30ft Cutter Bus with the Ford gas chassis, and the power steering pump has been growling when it gets hot. I've been told by numerous people that the pump is eventually going to fail, but there's no way to tell when.

So, I'm getting ready for a 3,700 mile round trip in August (BurningMan) and thought I'd replace the pump now. I took it to Ford, and they can't find the right pump to replace this with - nothing they have seems to look the same, or won't fit.

Can anyone help me with the part number and mfg name? Or suggest a suitable replacement? Our power steering pump is a round canister - the dealer says everything they are finding for that vintage Ford chassis doesn't come close.

Help!
David
dgmelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Silver Bullet

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
choctaw , Oklahoma
I have a Chevy chassis, but I just replaced the P/S pump on the Silver Bullet twice. The old one started leaking and I found a rebuilt one at NAPA. Got 50 miles from home and it quit, but the second one seems to be working well. The brakes seem stronger too
choctawmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Guys, before you replace the pump, have it "flushed". This will remove existing gunk using old pump.

Next, install new and make sure fluid is clean.

Enjoy!

Oh. Pull pump and take to Napa or other reputable auto parts store if you are in a bind. They will probably know other options.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Does it have a hydroboost system? What is the chassis.from? The pump you are describing sound like a pump from somthing like a f550 dump truck set up. cwf is right the first thing to do is flush the system and put clean fluid in it. It is easy to do your self just find the return line to the pump take it loose and put it in something to catch the fluid.Crank the truck and let it idle. You need someone to help you so the pump doesn't run dry. Keep pouring fuild in the pump until clean fluid comes through the return line. If it is a hydroboost system you need to have them pump the brakes a few times during the flush also. Check and make sure whether ford recomend power steering fluid or transmission fluid on your year model. The newer stuff I know ford recomends trany fluid. Just flushed a 2001 f350 with the same noise after a blown hose.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Cutter Bus
El Paso , Texas
Thank you for all the help and advice, but after almost a month, the Ford dealer cannot find a replacement power steering pump for my AS. He is saying its obsolete and they took it off to match it, but couldn't find a replacement anywhere.

I picked up the MH today and took pictures of the reservoir mounted in front of the radiator to see if anyone on this forum could recognize the type, and/or model of pump this is - and send me in the right direction to find a fix for this.

The chassis is a 1995 Ford super duty gas engine 30 foot motorhome. The current pump is still working but when it gets hot, after a day of driving, the pump starts groaning at slow speeds when turning or parking the MH. The Ford mechanic said its probably going to go out soon...but its hard to say when.

Thank you! Any help is appreciated. Click image for larger version

Name:	20130720_111635.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	191271Click image for larger version

Name:	20130720_111650.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	191272Click image for larger version

Name:	20130720_111658.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	191273
dgmelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Ok,

Quit mucking with it.

Remove, take to NAPA or your favorite automotive store. Get close match for hose fittings.

Get bracket made at welding shop. Install and move on.

Also you can get electrically powered pumps which you can mount anywhere.

http://www.steeringpumps.com/power-steering-pump.html
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Weatherford , Texas
Just an observation...the pictures show the reservoir. The pump (the part making the noise), which is the part you want to replace (not the reservoir) is located mounted to the motor. Get a picture of that and we might be able to help further.
mopariac is offline   Reply With Quote