Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
RealShinyOne

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
naples , Florida
My 79 SHINY ONE in for makeover

I've decidied to go for the whole enchilada. My '79 28' excella motorhome will spend the next 5 months or so in a "rehab" facility in Orlando, florida. The exterior will remain stock and original.. but the mechanicals will be completely updated and modernized; and the interior will be almost completely gutted, reconfigured, redecorated, and turned into a different looking animal. Interior panels will be stripped down to aluminum, and an aircraft interior look will be attempted, especially in the cockpit area. I hope to soon be able to post a website that will enable those interested , to watch the metamorphasis, step by step. All of the original interior parts will be salvaged for sale, trade, gift or whatever. As they accumulate, I'll post their availability, or let me know if you are looking for something. Most are in real nice original shape. Rick, in Naples, fl.
RealShinyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 05:39 PM   #2
RealShinyOne

naples , Florida
79 Makeover is underway!

My '79 28' m/h is in orlando, fl for a complete mechanical and interior makeover. I'll be posting a website soon, that will let folks keep an eye on the project if they are interested. Since most of the interior is being replaced, the original parts will be available. feel free to contact me if you are looking for something for your m/h or trailer, as we might be able to hook you up. Rick in Naples, fl.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Wowie Zowie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealShinyOne
I've decidied to go for the whole enchilada. My '79 28' excella motorhome will...... be stripped down to aluminum, and an aircraft interior look will be attempted, especially in the cockpit area. I hope to soon be able to post a website that will enable those interested ......
Pictures....LOTS of pictures....NOW!

Can't wait!

Please Post as many pictures as possible before, during, and after....

There are a lot of us here on the Forum that are contemplating, in the middle of, or looking for alternatives to do exactly what you are doing....

Am I jealous....

Please, Please, Please....Pictures.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Griffin , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealShinyOne
the interior will be almost completely gutted, reconfigured, redecorated, and turned into a different looking animal..
Can't wait to see the pics of this. what is the original interior floorplan?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:24 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
If that is the place I am thinking of, you will be well pleased with the results. They have been doing GMC MoHo's for years, and every one I have seen has been better than the one before.
www.gmccoop.com
Old 03-03-2005, 09:09 PM   #6
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Sounds neat Rick.

Keep us posted!
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
check out the web site at www.gmccoop.com there are a few great AS pictured there including the start of this one's redo.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:35 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Interior Panels

We have a 1976 28ft Argosy. Are the interior panels in any way the same?? If so, and you are parting yours out we would be very interested in talking with you. A tree fell on our home and damaged the vista view windows and the interior panels. Thanks for responding.

Violet
lady2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:24 PM   #9
Bill Gurney

parts available

I will be looking for a few interior parts, I have an Argosy I am putting back together, mainly looking for some of the kitchen cabinet doors. Let me know what is available. Thanks.

Bill
bgurney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 01:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
saw on the gmccoop site where they were installing a Honda generator, PeterH did that to his and was raving about the difference. My old Onan is still perking but the water cooled Honda is like light yrs in improvement.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #11
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady2boys
We have a 1976 28ft Argosy. Are the interior panels in any way the same?? If so, and you are parting yours out we would be very interested in talking with you. A tree fell on our home and damaged the vista view windows and the interior panels. Thanks for responding.

Violet

Violet,

Unfortunately the interiors of the coach's are VERY different. I used to own a 76 MH, I now own a 78 MH that is just like realshineyone on the inside. Same floor plan no less.

Are you looking for the plastic panels or the aluminum?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 08:44 PM   #12
RealShinyOne

naples , Florida
Update

Check out www.gmccoop.com for an update on the re-do. Once on the site, click on "airstream". then click on "airstream projects". Finally, click on "79 Shiny one". Let me know what you think..you guys are the experts. Rick, in Naples, fl.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:38 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have been checking that frequently, and I am envious as heck of the job they are doing. can't wait to see where it ends up. Hope we can have a Motorhomers get together sometime and see it in person when done.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 05-07-2005, 08:16 PM   #14
RealShinyOne

naples , Florida
Major mechanical renovation.. see it!

My '79 excella 28' M/H is undergoing a complete mechanical update. If you'd like to follow the progress, go to www.gmccoop.com. once in the site, click on "aistream" link. Then click on "airstream projects" , and finally click on "79 shiny one". I think you will enjoy seeing a classic trying to regain its original splendor...and a whole lot more. Rick in Naples, fl.