Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Woodlands , Texas
Question Is AS MH difficult/expensive to maintain/repair?

Is AirStream Motorhome difficult and/or expensive to maintain and repair? I'm looking at a mid 09's LandYacht to purchase. Are they hard to work on? Hard to get parts? Expensive to have repaired mechanically? As an avergae mechanic can I do most repairs myself?
aaastircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1993 33' Land Yacht
North Bend , Oregon
Send a message via ICQ to tbro Send a message via MSN to tbro Send a message via Yahoo to tbro
I own a 93 Land yacht 33 footer and to date haven't found anything i would advise anyone to avoid. AS builds a quality product and with regular maintenance and care it should last you a long, long time.

I have limited mechanical skills but learn quickly. So far I haven't ran into anything I haven't been able to handle with a little research and help here in the forums.

My advice? Buy it, make it yours, and stream on...

My Web Workings
tbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaastircrazy View Post
Is AirStream Motorhome difficult and/or expensive to maintain and repair? I'm looking at a mid 09's LandYacht to purchase. Are they hard to work on? Hard to get parts? Expensive to have repaired mechanically? As an avergae mechanic can I do most repairs myself?
What Land Yacht 09?? or did you mean 90
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Woodlands , Texas
Question Thanks for the feedback! Any more info out there?

I really appreciate the input. Any idea how to find a qualified airstream motorhome inspector to take a good look at a '96 airstream land yacht motorhome? Thanks again for the info!

I really like this line.. "My advice? Buy it, make it yours, and stream on..."

Any suggested resources (books, websites) for general information about or repair info on the motorhomes?
aaastircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The living quarters part of a MH maintenance is the same as a TT. Getting to the holding tanks & other apparatus is easier as there is no belly pan. The lights, engine, tires, brakes are the same as a car. Some parts are bigger. I'm just a shade tree mechanic, but can do most routine work. My 1989 doesn't have the sensors & computer of newer cars. I'll admit there will some repairs left to the professionals at the local truck repair shop. Don't let the routine repairs scare you as you'll have to do them to your TV anyway.
I like having a MH for conveinence reasons. Tami can make lunch or coffee while we roll down the road. Just pull over anywhere and you can use the toilet instantly. When stopping for the night just find a somewhat level parking spot,shut engine off, take 2 steps & settle in. No fuss of extending stabilizers or putting down jack stand before entering.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Is AirStream Motorhome difficult and/or expensive to maintain and repair?
Depends on what breaks.

Are they hard to work on? No
Hard to get parts? No
Expensive to have repaired mechanically? Same as any Class A, truck rates
As an avergae mechanic can I do most repairs myself? Some parts are much heavier.
Any idea how to find a qualified airstream motorhome inspector to take a good look at a '96 airstream land yacht motorhome? Find local AS group, or any RV -truck mechanic. Test everything, don't believe verbal statements, get it in writing.
Any suggested resources (books, websites) for general information about or repair info on the motorhomes? Ebay, amazon.

When you are looking for parts chassis is called p30 but it is actually a p32 when you are looking for repair manual.
Airstreams come with a great manual, if owner kept his up to date, it will be the best source for the wiring, plumbing and installed equipment.

For the best model specific info I like this site, for general info rvnet, workhorse, and I am still looking for Chevy truck site.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaastircrazy View Post
Forgot to address your name aaa = don't use for service Sam's RV road Service much better, they actually will tow motorhome when needed. After years of having for car without using, first time I called they couldn't tow my class B, not covered.

stircrazy, DW has been using it a lot lately, foot surgery slowing her down to zero, next week pins come out and maybe she will stop using your name as often.