Old 08-19-2002, 03:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Can anyone help me with suggestions on a complete or cat-back system for my '98 350 Suburban? My options seem limited and I need to do what I can to improve performance. I'm pulling a 74 30' Sovereign. Additional info is that it is a 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 3.42 gear. Improving the engine performance would be a big help. Thanks

74SovereignInt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
If you are running LT265-75-16 tires, get rid of that 3.42 rear end or go to smaller diameter tires. You will never have any kind of performance with that rear. I had it on my '92 Chevy Z71 K1500 4X4 with 5.7 engine which had a Jacobs Electronic Ignition and Amsoil dual filter bypass filtration system. The truck by itself ran great until it was hooked up to my 31' Excella 500 then it turned into a different animal. Ran fine on straight road but any hill or mountain I went up was a problem.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 08:27 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
Headers, exhst, axle ratio

I just picked up your thread.
I have a '01 Expedition w/ 4.6L and 3.31? rear pulling a 25' Excella. I originally bought truck for my smaller A/S and was well within limits. Now I'm on the edge.

Financing $35K for this truck means I can't trade to a 2500 Burb without taking a big hit. So I'm thinking of air flow to help this small 4.6L on any hills for now.

I saw that the exhaust was first on the list - like from the Cat back. How much to have a 4.01 rear put in? Trying to keep investment under $1,000, cause like Peter said, probably won't get but 20% back....

I don't expect to make this into a 454!! What your advice?

Steve Martin, Savannah
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I just wanted to add a note here. Headers are not a bad improvement, but the horsepower increase generally occurs at above 3000 rpm depending on the engine. Simply expanding the size of the exhaust pipe can have a positive effect on engine efficiency. As for as "cat back" systems, I like Banks.

I'm working on a '66 Dodge so it lacks anything related to the modern catalytic convertor. I'm not sure whether or not I'll add headers (at $800) or simply rework the exhaust with a dual-into-one muffler and bigger pipes.

Rather than drop a grand into the exhaust, I would look into a different gearing for the Expedition. I don't know much, but I think you could get a 3.73 or 4.10 rear. Just know that with the 4.10, you're going to wind the engine up at freeway speeds. It will make a world of difference towing, but there are tradeoffs.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote