Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2007, 05:13 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey Steph - you are giving away our secrets - but what you neglected to mention was It was your son Sam who was the Maestro!!! The conductor and into all the musical instruments for our entertainment - a real treat - how could we not play along....

Back to the LadyBug....

Today I have narrowed the leaks in the windows down to either the top seams or the window frames that are buck riveted to the outside shell. As we have not taken off all the ceiling panels (and would rather not if we don't have to. We have the two fiberglass end caps which I have heard can be a (*&^% to get back in place???)

Our Choice is - drill out all the buck rivets and remove each frame and find someone to re-install the bucked rivets + plus we would have to take all the inside panels off....OR add 1000's of more hours to pick out all the dried out vulkem and re-seal all the joints. Looks like someone has done it before us - twice no less -but also by the looks of the seams they never picked out the dried up vulkum first!!! - so what is the point if you do not do that - there would be no space for the new seal to adhere to.

Dried Vulkum is like a sponge! Where a single drip from a Humingbirds pee would whisk by a nicely sealed seem - it would get sucked right up in the dried vulkum. It would stay saturated for much longer basically till the next rain unless you live in Arizona.

My solutionClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7733.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	38657I broke the bank and bought myself a handy little O Ring and Seal Pick - which I think will be just perfect for going vulkum hunting -from the inside and out.

I also found it strange that around the windows some seems where sprayed with the black rubber and others were not - like the forward side of the street side window but not the aft side - what gives. Just a rush job or someone not quite up to snuff on their quality workmanship.

Another hint to all you 60's owners - if you have never had your skins off and have grounding problems - I know why? If you have window frame leaks or seam leaks running down the ribs - the water settles right onto where they screwed the ground wire for every outlet.

More to come when I have finished my break today....did the admin thing getting quotes and making a trip to the metal fab place to make us a new flange for the skylight and trim pieces.

Checked out a price on a new poly water tank - $500.00 - yeah right saw me coming - and we are also looking for a tank replacement for the Atwood 6G Propane/Electric/DSI model - the tank blew in the 99 Excella when it sat for the winter at the wreckers without being winterized.

Here is the fancy under paint for the floor. Looks a lot better than the old plywood with fill and patches of glue from the old tiles warn deep into the floor.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7732.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	38659

Guess what the towel at the front is for????
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:14 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Rain Rain Go away come back another day

So what did I get done today......

cut two bolts with a cut off wheel and then decided I don't like being in a big empty damp freezing dripping trailer - packed it in.

Took the asbestos off the interior lamps - soaked the rivets in dw40 so there would be no friable particles. Piece of cake - safely disposed of and none the worse for wear....

Then grabbed the front lamp shades sanded them down cleaned, primed and painted.

Here is the before picClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7742.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	38709

And this pic shows the colour a little better - Copper really
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7743.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	38710

No my dilema is the "diffuser linning used" I can not seem to put my finger on a source anywhere - It is a type of Tyvek or Parchment card stock - don't need much of it - but it makes the lights work better. - Just need some white or cream would be okay too.

Name:	100_7747.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	38711

Can anyone help??? where can I find some of this that does not look like it has the measles?

Unfortunate I have tried everything to get the rust out but no good. As you can see by the pics - it has to have some transparancy to do it's job of diffusing light. So if I paint I will cover and then block out the transparency.

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated
Old 06-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Oh yes the ps thing - I know the original had the two tone paint job - but I am not into two tone reminds me of an Argosy (this comment is for Annies benefit - I am pulling her chain as we say)

Seriously I also do not like stripes either except in an awning......
Old 06-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Hello Again Sharon and Peter,
Looks like you are very busy with the remod of the new GT. That's a great size trailer and you will have the Overlander as backup when more space is needed. Since I have finished the restoration of my Safari I will offer a few suggestions if I thing they may/can help.

Sounds like you are worried about overspending your budget (already too late) on things like tools, espesially things like a rivet shaver. Shop around, but it is a tool that you will use much more then you may think. Even more so with multiple trailer disorder, which by the way you have.

Another tool I would suggest is an Orbital palm sander with an accessory vaccuum hose attached to a shop vac. I have a Porter-Cable orbital sander matched up with a Fien mini turbo vaccuum which is small and handy in small work areas. Great for reconditioning woodwork, fiberglass, walls,etc.

So keep up the updates as inquiring minds want to know! Remember Vince at the Rally trying to buy everyones trailers? Oh the memories!
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 AM   #45
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Sharon, I have lights with a similar backing in my Caravel, and had to purchase a yard of the liner, so I have extra. If you like, PM me with your address and how many sheets you need, and I'll be happy to send them.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
Sharon, I have lights with a similar backing in my Caravel, and had to purchase a yard of the liner, so I have extra. If you like, PM me with your address and how many sheets you need, and I'll be happy to send them.
Just had to let all know - that this forum is a wonderful place and there are so many really nice people.

Mel has saved the day and I will be picking up the new linners at the Rivette Rally in a couple of weeks.

Big Thanks Mel!!!! If there is anything we can help you with, anything at all we will be most pleased.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Okay a small window - with 1000 tasks lined up

Yesterday evening when it finally stopped raining I tried out the fancy picking tool - wow that worked great. While picking out the back window frame I clued into the trend.....

All the seams lead to the window frame - so the first two inches past each seam was dried out and rotten then it got a bit tough to pick out the vulkem just above the next seam and so on. The water is getting in deep behind the vulkem - it soaks and eventually at saturation it drips. That is why some see a leak and others do not. Short rains followed by hot windy weather will dry it up before anything substantial happens. Leave that combo for 44 years and you get rusted ground wires in the cross members to just about every connection in the trailer. Add in some serious leaking at the bumper compartment lid design and you get a rotten floor at the back.

Fixed almost.

Removed the old airstream emblems to find 44 years of dirt behind them - bad fit and no seallant.

I have new ones from VTS - did not want to worry about doing a great job on the old ones.

Worked on cleaning up all the seams and removing the duck tape up top on the vents - as they both were covering the seams. Then I called it an evening - getting real stiff these days - up and down a ladder and in and out of the trailer a 100 times....

Today was another productive day...nice and sunny this morning and cool so a good day to paint.

I took one look at the garage and thought how the heck am I going to do this - half the trailer walls are in here and the other half still in the trailer.

So it was a good hour re-arranging and making a big work table to lay the panels flat.

I was just about to paint and thunder and black clouds came in - I said to myself oh &^%$ not again. So I scambled to find the duck tape and dashed for the trailer. We had removed the J cross tire carrier and all the famous places for leaking I had just made even more leak ready - so I taped everything up. There went another 40 minutes and whole roll of ducktape.

Back to the garage to start the painting. It all went really well and I love the BIN paint for covering and fast drying power. It makes a really nice base.

Name:	100_7773.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	38785

I was able to finish what I started today but that did take me pretty much the whole day.

Name:	100_7769.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	38782Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7770.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	38783
Old 06-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Sharon, What a wonderful job. You certainly KNOW how to. We have been busy trying to get Aria Rusello ready for a trip planned June 22nd. We put water in for the first time and we found a leak in the toilet.

We have it up and apart. The rubber gasket is rotted. Mel gave me Mark RV and we are going to call for parts in the morning. Some of the wood is rotted too. We are going to make a circle around (in the rotted wood area)
and use metal to give it strength.

Any suggestions? Are we going in the right direction? Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Now onto something way more serious....

Since I hope to bring Taz with me on the first Solo trip I thought it was a good time for her to come in and inspect the trailer.....and this is what she had to say...

Okay nice smell no old trailer smell good thing for you no good sniffs for me.

Now onto the inspection...you have not done the wheel wells yetClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7777.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	38788

and gee when do you plan on doing the belly pan?Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7776.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	38787 I can tell you that there are no mice in here either - another good thing for both of us

Now there is a serious problem....you do not expect me to sleep on the floor do you?Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7774.jpg
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	38786

So tell me what you think folks - do you think she can get it ready - I'm thinking she is off her rocker but my Dad is right on with her and they really think they can pull off a rolling tin tent with a bed for me in 10 daysClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7778.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	38789

Kids ya gotta luv em - even the furry kind - if only they could talk...
Old 06-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria
Some of the wood is rotted too. We are going to make a circle around (in the rotted wood area)
and use metal to give it strength.

Any suggestions? Are we going in the right direction? Aria
Thanks for the kudos....I will PM you on your questions.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Earlier in our "Flight" I experienced my first booboo.

Well Peter enjoyed his flight this evening and saw the stars that are inflicted so many times to these tall people who do not watch where they are walking.....

Name:	100_7768.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	38790

OOOOOUUUUU

I will have to get some new noodles - as I gave all the yellow ones away with the 69 - the front and back windows of the 69 were sharp squares too - this 63 has an additional 4 windows for PETER to wack...
Old 06-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Poor Peter

Sharon.. Are you pushing Peter into the windows again.. ??
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:13 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
ANOTHER abused Airstream husband. It happens all the time. But being men we don't talk about it in the open. It looks like he didn't need stitches, which means no scar, which decreases the bragging rights points by half.

It's why I now wear a hat whenever I work on anything, or get near anything, that I can damage myself on. The right kind of hats even soak up the blood.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:14 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Ouch

Hi Peter
That's why Wally Byam wore Beret's. To hide the scar's. I need to get a padded beret myself.
STAY LOW MEN!
Gary
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:45 AM   #55
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Blood, sweat, and tears

Sharon, you might want to give Ladybug the middle name of blood, sweat, and tears!! Its going to be great when she's all done!!

Wow Peter bummer, looks like a hockey injury, Pronger Stanley Cup playoffs!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:49 PM   #56
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Continuing along in Chapter 5 - The Metemorphosis

Right about now Peter is wishing that He could make metemorphosis happen and change into a LadyBug so he could fly away as far away from me as possible!!!!

Does anyone know how much square feet are in a 63 GT - NOT MUCH....
Must admidt - working during the week is very pieceful working together seems to strike a cord or two or three of four....

Peter has fully recovered from his head banging situation with the window and of course with the "task master" moi!. We settled with Peter working inside and I working outside - this was a much better situation as I was tired and grummpy most of the weekend. (I about had enough as I worked on it for several days before the weekend Not too mention that popping in and out of the trailer a 1000 times and up and down the ladder as many times - I have aggrivated my sports injury plagued Knee and it was really painful all weekend - which put a slow up on progress )

But - Peter was pumped - he had picked up the pieces for the skylight and was on the move Friday night and was &^%$ bent to get at least one big hole plugged up for good......oooooh honey......houston we have a problem.

I thought to myself - he cut one of the pieces wrong or scratched the skylight or something drastic....but not quite as drastic....For you fellows out there I will let you try and guess what the problem was.

Name:	100_7792.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	38937

With a project like this there is no room for dawdling - so there is always a PLAN B - so Peter moved onto to it..... You know you wannnnn it....AIR baby AIR!

Name:	100_7789.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	38938Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7791.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	38939
Once this was mastered and working - heck why not move onto the Skylight anyway - still needs a nice sturdy framework and trim pieces for inside....

Name:	100_7806.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	38943

While Peter did all the really important stuff - I plugged on with "Leaks" Picking vulkum until I do not want to see anymore dried out vulkem as long as I live. Pick Pick Pick Pick Pick - but it sure does work great! my picking tool of course. Front and back window are done. All side compartments are done.

Then I moved to the battery compartment - as it needs a bit of help. I would like to put a heavy duty pull out drawer base in it - as there is no way I could manage putting in a heavy battery in that small space. I knew the wood base that sits on top of the floor was toast - water and acid damage. So out it came. Will continue to work on it later. The drip rail was picked clean and buffed up somewhat as the edges are way too sharp and I will have to do it by hand so I can avoid decapitating the compounding disc.

Name:	100_7803.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	38942
Kind of a boring picture really - after I looked at it. We do need a nice new green ground wire - this one is a bit cracked and corroded. Also need some knew spring catches - on order VTS.

We were starting to vie for the power cord - so I thought why do I not check out these sockets on the side of the trailer -I had read somewhere that they were for special lights - so I never bothered with them - besides I could not open them anyway.

Undid the two screws and the plate came off to reveil a standard single 110 plug - which hey matched the box inside the wall above the battery box. Both plugs got a full overhaul - and are now leak proof again and work like a charm.

Name:	100_7802.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	38941

Now to keep Peter motivated - I had to think about moving the LadyBug to a more suitable position on the driveway - one that is closer to the house, and to the patio and about the same distance from the garage. Haily thought it was a perfect place too - for now.... The dogs love to be in and out of the trailer and underneath it away from the "dearfly" that have come out right on cue!

Name:	100_7800.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	38940 Poor little Haily was feeling a bit today- must have got into something she should not have yesterday. But she does like to be close to where ever we are working so that was a nice spot too where she can stay out of trouble.

Lastly for the weekend this expression sums it up - this is a don't &^%$ me off look - bad hair, bad clothes, bad nails, knee killing me, hot and the dear fly are driving me nuts...

Name:	100_7809.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	38944

Still a nice wife though - did you see the little yellow head protectors on the window!!!! Just so he would not poke his eye out and not be able to work on the LadyBug.

Lucky and Taz where having a pow wow too - and kept saying they will never make it - not in a Month of Sundays
Old 06-14-2007, 07:34 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Sharon, Your restoration is informative and fun to read. We are making progress with our LEAKS. Your adventure tells us....we need to keep going.
Regards, Aria
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 08:35 AM   #58
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Wow June 14 that was almost 3 weeks ago....never mind flight of the ladyBug I feel like it has been flight of the bumble bee!! Wish I could just post the composition for you and load up the photos - as there has just been so much accomplished in the last few weeks.

Changed the Avatar for one - kind of silly using the Overlander don't ya tink. Hubby will have to get his own forum name soon - as we do have our own Wbcci #'s (sort of silly too I think - could just pay an affiliate fee and get a second number - oh well another thread and another time)

Sped around North America for two - Yeah Ha let a girl loose and look out. I had an extended trip with Carol for various reasons and now we are nick named "Thelma and Louise" back home. Sure hope the parents don't read this thread - or forum for that matter

Back to the Restoration - I might call this little chapter "Flight Interuptus"
With a target departure date of June 23 the latest - we went from restoration mode to quick fix mode - and felt like Billy Bug Stop - hey that is an actual product out there called that too funny.

Before I go into catch up mode - we received our huge supply order from VTS the day I was leaving so all the good stuff I needed I went without - like window gaskets and backing seals - hmm had to open the windows when it rained instead of closing them like normal people.

Door lock and dead bolt - would have been a really nice feature. The deadbolt as I found out likes to dance when you are on the road - so you lock it when you start and it is unlocked when you stop - at first I was picking up passengers and they were messin with my mind. The door lock an even better adventure. It works intermitantly - so a few Rivettes may have seen me open my door from my window We won't tell you when Peter got locked in the first time - he sat there and waited for me to walk by the trailer to open the door - hmm remove screen open window reach knob - I thought that was a pretty easy solution - must be that man thing and only running on one 1/4 of the lobe power at one time - you do know that women can fire in all 4 quadrants at a time don't you???

The new clips for the compartment doors - two in specific - the Electrical cord compartment and the battery box compartment.

So I started my trip with a bit of excitement. Driving down the 115 and a few fellows waving at me and giving me the thumbs up - I'm saying cool 46 and they are still looking - oh crap it was the trailer they were interested in so I thought.....Until a fellow on a nice red rice burner gave me the distinctive Suzuki honk and the finger pointing to the hardshoulder - now that sign I know!!!! Yikes stomach to the knees - flat tire???? But surely I would have felt it. Turns out my electrical cord compartment door had popped open and about 13' of the cord fell out - no damage to the LadyBug - a bit to my self-confidence and nice chaffing to the plug end but nothing a bit of duck tape did not fix to keep it in place at the camp ground - just ask Larrita.

Did I mention two compartments!!! The battery one is on the same clip system and I know I had secured it good and closed them right - but with these vintage units anything can happen - after finally making our departure from the Rivette Rally - we (Carol and I ) were not more than 10 minutes on the road. Did the usual once over with the mirrors - like a 1000 times to see if any windows are hanging open or pieces falling off etc. and a double YIKES - the batter compartment door had dropped and the battery who know how was sticking out about 6 inches....OMG!!!!!! Told Carol to go ahead and I would meet her at the JC exit. I pulled off right away and of course stopped with an unknown ripe roadkill in a perfect location! Got the duck tape out of the trailer taped the door shut and was on my way fairly unscathed. Did that check around again and POOOOOOOPPPPPPPP guess where the keys to the trailer door were???? Yep in the flippin Door.Well that little ring has the coupler and hitch lock keys on it so I did not want to loose it - but I WAS NOT PULLING OFF TO THE SIDE AGAIN ON I75 Exit 99 a perfect place to visit.

Back on the road and now my nerves are shot - and I was going nowhere but JC for the night...

Sure wish or order was not on back order -could have save all the above...
Old 07-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
You sure do know how to have fun! Great and humorous story, thanks for sharing it.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #60
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Do da do da do da - do do do - da do da - do da do do do da - you get the drift bzzzzzzzzz

I think I left off with a not so becoming picture of myself - that Peter said I had to include if I am going to place any more pics of him on the forum or tell any more secrets of our restoration - to bad I could not edit old posts - Since then I have lost 50 pounds had my nails manicured by Steph with inspiration from Larrita Well not exactly I just covered up the vulcum with Shari's fancy mood nail polish. I do not know what Larritas excuse was.

Listened to the song Miss Chatelain a million times on the way down to the Rivette Rally. My first sight when I arrived was Larrita with a flash light and then Carol. That was only our second meeting - I knew then that she must be this Miss Chatelain that was refered to in the song . Vickie was a real trooper and also stayed up and was the waving committee upon my arrival. - You can imagine the thoughts I was experiencing - is this the RIGHT FARM!!!

For several days before the "initial Flight of the Lady Bug" it was ALL ABOUT LIGHTS!

Bright light Fantastic Fan - Clear lid

Name:	100_8006.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	40456

Skylight

Name:	100_7855.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	40454Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7857.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	40455Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8007.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	40457

Clearance Lights

Name:	100_7890.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	40460 Gary (Safari63) this next shot is a big smile to your for passing on the EXACT measurements!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7906.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	40461

Name:	100_7909.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	40462Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7951.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	117.6 KB