Old 05-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Great going... We are way behind you on this restoration.. looking great.. what flooring did you go with???

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 03:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
We may be ahead but you have less I think - wait lets see - you have a 30 footer - yikes almost double ours

First being on Holidays gets me all messed about on my days. We took the axle in on Thursday and it was Ready Friday Morning - and the axle was in by the end of the day Saturday.

Today it is pouring rain - so a good time to work inside the trailer. I finished removing the rest of the items and drilled out the 3 of four wall panels. A bit more plumbing had to be cut and two plugs and light switches were removed - to reveal two results of water leaks.

Turns out the Fridge vent is one big huge source of the leaking that has rotted out a section of the floor along the side.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7583.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	38023

The front is not as damaged as we thought with only two small pieces needing replacing - both have no structural value but Peter will be lagging and lapping them into place - which will last longer than my life time for sure.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7584.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	38024

My job of course is to get the leaks under control - this means the complete removal of the fridge vent and housing. A bit of restoration on the fridge vent new seal and rivets and she will be as good as new.

And here is the best deal yet.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7518.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	38028Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7514.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	38029

For the ladies out there - here is an update on the decor. I have had to change the colour scheme slightlyClick image for larger version

Name:	LadyBug colour scheme.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	38025

I was going to do the walls Moss - but then I found a huge role of..... Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7522.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	38026 for only $75.00 - I saw the two couches recovered along with extra covers for the dogs and just had to change around the colour scheme to meet the pocket book.

Here is the second couch to replace the goucho. I have some fabricating to do but we came up with a great solution. This no legged flip couch will be mounted on the old goucho sliders. There will be "wings" the best way to explain on each side to make the couch 84" wide - as it is 73" at the edge of the original shelf - which we are keeping. The old goucho pulled out to 46". We are extending the bed by 9.5 inches to bring it to 55.5 inches deep.
First you will pull the whole couch out on the sliders - then it will flip down flat and meet up with the stationary section over the water tank. I am thinking of a 2 inch memory foam rollup that will have a zippered sheet bottom. This will stow behind the couch - it will custom fit the shape of the "huge front bed" along with a comforter or just a sheet if it gets real hotClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7523.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	38027 The couch height will be perfect and will not stick way above the shelf like you see in so many other restorations. I will still get my 4 drawers underneath and it will just have a modern look to the old style goucho.

Now the same concept will be employed for the side Goucho - the couch Ella has donated to the cause. It will be 53 inches wide to maintain a reasonable path to the bathroom at night. The drawer front will have a custom wood facing made to match the front goucho but will be one big drawer. Both will be recovered in the same material and pattern - as they are very similar now.

All the lights (although ugly squares) will be restored and painted the Aisian Silk. Along with all the window trim pieces and possibly the curtains. With a couple of throw blankets.

The wet sand is what we have now chosen for the interior skin. But two tone in order to obtain the grass cloth effect.

The wood (existing that has made it through the years) as well as some doner pieces from ella will be stripped and given the cabernet stain.

The laminet flooring is a raised grain pine board look. Seems everyone goes for the maple strip laminet and I just wanted to be different but give the trailer that "Flight Barn" look.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7581.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	38021

The wording on the paint chip board was exactly what we were looking for in this next trailer. (hopefully a keeper this time). The tones are earthy and each one can be found on a particular spieces of "LadyBug" and we have no shortage of ladybugs in that trailer - they are everywhere.

We are going with Lexan sliders in all three upper cupboards (colour TBA) and strip lighting inside the cupboard - that will be the "house" lights switched at the door entrance.

....More updates to follow.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
I am afraid we are doing nothing really fancy pants - like all new designs and innovative electrics etc - just your plain and simple updates and getting things back in working order so that we can use the trailer.

Mostly it is a big project to keep me from getting bored with life and to be able to say "I did that"....

Still working on sealing up the leaks and functionality at the same time.

Fridge vent was one project has just been completed.
I had to do some putty, resin and fiberglass work on the old vent cover.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7603.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	38322Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7604.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	38323Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7626.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	38324

Thought of putting ss washers over the holes that were all cracked
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7622.jpg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	38330

- the cover was no heck to begin with but at least it will last a few more years untill someone comes up with a nice fancy aluminum one that will not break the bank.

Got all the things ready

Name:	100_7627.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	38325
compounded the area somewhat to get a nice clean surface

Name:	100_7628.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	38326
installed the housing and then the cover.

Name:	100_7634.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	38327

Don't particularily like being up on the ladder!!! and must get myself set up with some scaffold.
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7668.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	38332[/ATTACH]

All in all I am pleased with my very first attempt at drilling near the airstream, removing old parts, doing my best to restore them and even better re-installing them too.

Have to clean up the area and touch up and give the cover it's final coat of paint. but that will all be done when we move to the exterior. For now the goal is NO LEAKS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_7637.jpg
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	38331  
Old 05-31-2007, 04:13 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Next on the list was the marker lights.

Spent a bit of time twidling thumbs on this one - could not decide if I should use the old bases or not. So while I was thinking about it I restored the old bases - turns out just for the fun of it...cause at the last minute I said nope - I don't want RUST so we are going with the new aluminum ones.

I had to drill out the holes to accept the olympic rivet as well as drill new holes for the wire housing. Also placed a small gromet to protect the wire from chaffingClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7669.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	38335

Instead of vulkum I used the aluminum parbon - a little easier to work with for the small area to seal. The old large hole will be fill from the inside as well with the aluminum window seal tape. Probably does not need it but to be on the safe side.

Installed the baseClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7671.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	38336 and the lense coverClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7672.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	38337 ...just had a problem with one rivet - hitting a wall stud and did not gather properly - so I have to assess that situation with the Hubster as the rivet is just a bit loose - I am thinking drill it out - and drill the out skin rivet out too - one person pull the stud out while the other pops the new rivet in and it will grab right - then re-rivet the skin again. But we shall see what the"man's" take is on it

I also think I will wait for Hubster to get home and show me what to do with the stems on the olympic rivet. Would love one of those rivet shavers but nope not happening either.

I am trying to keep the costs of this trailer down as much as possible.

Got a semi quote on someone doing the gelcoat and fiberglass work on the tub and black tank and just about fell off my shoes.....so another project will be added to my list. (being around boats most of my life I know it is fairly easy - just labour intensive to sand to perfection. I have been complimented before on my drywall work - so the "finish" is the key with the tub and sinks too.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:21 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Still moving right along on the holes

Next was to get started on the skylight hole. Check this stuff out - looks like the tar residue from one of the Star Trek Next Generation shows where they all get sucked into the tar pit.

Name:	100_7663.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	38338

The PO must have been really frustrated with this puppy leaking and decided what the heck I will put it everywhere....

I picked up a jug of Aircraft stripper for some of the tough things on my list. It just eats right through this stuff saving me a ton of time and frustration scraping it off.

Name:	100_7664.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	38339

I just got started scraping after the stripper had worked for 1/2 hour and boom it started to pour with rain - they were calling for it but not until later - so I just ran out of time. I did not have time to tape anything back up - and the stripper will have already worked on the joints too. So this was my best solution for now!

Name:	100_7675.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	38340

Once Taz tha black Lab stops freaking with the Thunder I can still get back out there and continue scraping the black tar off and then drill out the skylight housing.

Things are moving along - slowly but steady. I sure hope the weather cooperates.

But then I have so many little projects - I can keep going no matter what. Even to the point of cleaning and priming the wall skins even though they are off.

I think the LadyBug looks rather cute with a hat on what do you think???
Old 06-01-2007, 06:38 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
You are a fabulous and fascinating woman! It's a pleasure to read your thread - lots of laughs, pics, and progress- just what keeps me "riveted"!!

Love her hat !!

"If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
sequoiacoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Oh gosh Tanya you are going to make my head swell up

This is a lot of fun although I am pooped by the end of the day.

No pictures to show my efforts of the day today. But my hands and arms are sore again.

Got the coat of Poyeurethane on the floor, ready for the acrylic sealant. Then I can move onto the flooring - but not before we get all the panels back in.

Sanded all the wall panels that are off right now and then the remaining ones in the trailer. One of the panels was so bad with some stuff that had dripped - so if I painted it you would see the drips. And they say the paint job is as only as good as the surface prep!!! So I had to strip the whole panel and then will sand it to get it smooth.

I sure do not know what they made that Zolatone with but you could probably use it on the outside of the heatsheild on Voyager.

Managed to squeeze in the cleaning with tsp ready for me to lay on the white primer.

There is a lot of painting to do - as I plan on painting all the window trim pieces the accent colour rather than the main colour. I was thinking of stripping them all and leaving them shinny aluminum - but quickly found out that the Airstream workers in those days did not take care in avoiding scratching the poop out of it as it was all going to be sprayed with Zolatone. So plan B.

Also sealed up all the marker lights inside and out with gutterseal - that stuff is really cool! everyone should have some on hand. It really does wick into open spaces for a perfect seal - and is easly cleaned with WD40 on a rag.

Another long day tomorrow - painting - and then it is time to start working on the windows - striping the old vulkum and whatever other attempts to seal the leaks up. That Gutter seall might just be the ticket for the new seal too.

I need to start cleaning the inside window frames ready for the new seals too. And then work on some of the cranks.

Ooops see what happens you can easily stray from the goal - leaks leaks leaks.....Still have the plumbing stacks to take care of - and compound the joints around the skylight so that I can seal up the seams.

Will post more pics tomorrow....
Old 06-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Sharon, I just cracked up laughing when I saw the market umbrella standing in the skylight hole, deflecting the rain I imagined myself caught up there with a hole in the roof, the rain falling down, and looking around until my eye spied the umbrella in the nearby patio table. Ah ha! A stylin' Airstream, if you ask me. Really, an impressive list of jobs outlined and tackled. Congrats! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM   #37
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Sharon you are an inspiration!!
I love the umbrella too...you know Georgia when I saw that photo of Sharon and the umbrella work I flashed back to that song by the Beatles, you know "I'm fixing a hole where the rain gets in..."

But now did you folks know that Sharon's talents are musical as well? Here's photographic evidence from a recent border crossing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	canadian brass band.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	38631  
Old 06-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
"Don't let the rain come down; oh no, don't let the rain come down. Don't let the rain come down; my roof's got a hole in it and I might drown. . ." And so on. Good thing you can't hear me sing! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
checking out your work

Hello Sharon & Peter,
Just noticed your tread on the new project. I met both of you at the Florida State Rally a few years ago and then again at Paradise Airstream Park few a few days of post rest and relaxation. This is Gary with the 62' Safari from Maine. I am still working on the old girl and almost finished most of the real detail work. Since you are working on the windows annd astrodome I will send a few photos along for inspriation.

We had to remove lots of gobbed on by hand paint and stripped the window frames discovering that the bare aluminum was very easy to polish (once the paint was removed. That was done with zip strip type paint remover and plastic edged tools, steel wool etc.
On the astrodome I converted it to a Wally hatch. That demanded much more of my brain power and therefore took a long time to do.
Just through you might enjoy look at someone else's work. So keep up the tread so we can follow along. I will be looking for you at a future rally.
Gary
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	polished frames 001.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	253.3 KB
ID:	38641   Click image for larger version

Name:	astrodome 001 - Copy (3).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	38642  

Old 06-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
Hello Sharon & Peter,..... This is Gary with the 62' Safari from Maine......
OMG look what the wind blew in! How the heck are ya??? So did you ever make it home on that long relaxation trip you were on.

A lot has happened in the airstream scene with us since then. When we got home we landed the 99 Excella wreck, then the 61 Overlander - worked on the 69 forever and then decided to sell it - changed our minds and then Peter let it go for full asking price. Then "I" paniced and I found another GT, this one on ebay - played the game and to my amazement I won with only mere seconds left.

Now we are up to our eyeballs in trailer restorations/renos with nothing ready to go. The Overlander is all set with running gear but leaks like a sive.

This little GT is well on her way in getting all her leaks sealed up.

I am envious of your window frames!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7727.jpg
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	38655

? did your windows have the original zolatone??? or someones other kind of paint?

How many years did it take you to strip one window? Mine are all scratched up underneath the zolatone - I think the 63 GT's were the econo line where they picked out of the scrap bin the parts the International models would not use I like the aluminum - but once I get the outside polished I think I will have had my fill of aluminum

Now your fancy astrodome is rather cool. We chose and easier route - and decided to give our selves one less thing on the check list to worry about. "Honey did you remember to shut the Astrodome??? - or is that the remenants I see in the side mirror going down the road ?"

We went with a clear lexan dome that will be permanently flanged to the roof - no leaks, no cranks and I can see the stars at night from both beds or couches. To match we went with a clear lexan lid for the new Fantastic Vent as well. I will make a fancy blind to pull over if it gets too hot.

Peter has a new job now working 18 minutes away from home, but has now no winter vacation - so the airstream traveling has become basically a hobby at fixing them instead - with antisipation of traveling again.

Mean time it is I (Sharon) who gets to play with this one - and Peter will move to his Overlander (retirement project) once the big "Man" helper items on my list are done. If he asks nicely I might help where I can with the Overlander too - like design work, decor and detailing....

Our offer is always open - anytime you are up this way you be sure to stop in and stay a while - we would love to catch up with you.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hey Steph - you are giving away our secrets - but what you neglected to mention was It was your son Sam who was the Maestro!!! The conductor and into all the musical instruments for our entertainment - a real treat - how could we not play along....

Back to the LadyBug....

Today I have narrowed the leaks in the windows down to either the top seams or the window frames that are buck riveted to the outside shell. As we have not taken off all the ceiling panels (and would rather not if we don't have to. We have the two fiberglass end caps which I have heard can be a (*&^% to get back in place???)

Our Choice is - drill out all the buck rivets and remove each frame and find someone to re-install the bucked rivets + plus we would have to take all the inside panels off....OR add 1000's of more hours to pick out all the dried out vulkem and re-seal all the joints. Looks like someone has done it before us - twice no less -but also by the looks of the seams they never picked out the dried up vulkum first!!! - so what is the point if you do not do that - there would be no space for the new seal to adhere to.

Dried Vulkum is like a sponge! Where a single drip from a Humingbirds pee would whisk by a nicely sealed seem - it would get sucked right up in the dried vulkum. It would stay saturated for much longer basically till the next rain unless you live in Arizona.

My solutionClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7733.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	38657I broke the bank and bought myself a handy little O Ring and Seal Pick - which I think will be just perfect for going vulkum hunting -from the inside and out.

I also found it strange that around the windows some seems where sprayed with the black rubber and others were not - like the forward side of the street side window but not the aft side - what gives. Just a rush job or someone not quite up to snuff on their quality workmanship.

Another hint to all you 60's owners - if you have never had your skins off and have grounding problems - I know why? If you have window frame leaks or seam leaks running down the ribs - the water settles right onto where they screwed the ground wire for every outlet.

More to come when I have finished my break today....did the admin thing getting quotes and making a trip to the metal fab place to make us a new flange for the skylight and trim pieces.

Checked out a price on a new poly water tank - $500.00 - yeah right saw me coming - and we are also looking for a tank replacement for the Atwood 6G Propane/Electric/DSI model - the tank blew in the 99 Excella when it sat for the winter at the wreckers without being winterized.

Here is the fancy under paint for the floor. Looks a lot better than the old plywood with fill and patches of glue from the old tiles warn deep into the floor.Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7732.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	38659

Guess what the towel at the front is for????
Old 06-05-2007, 05:14 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Rain Rain Go away come back another day

So what did I get done today......

cut two bolts with a cut off wheel and then decided I don't like being in a big empty damp freezing dripping trailer - packed it in.

Took the asbestos off the interior lamps - soaked the rivets in dw40 so there would be no friable particles. Piece of cake - safely disposed of and none the worse for wear....

Then grabbed the front lamp shades sanded them down cleaned, primed and painted.

Here is the before picClick image for larger version

Name:	100_7742.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	176.0 KB
ID:	38709

And this pic shows the colour a little better - Copper really

Name:	100_7743.jpg
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	38710

No my dilema is the "diffuser linning used" I can not seem to put my finger on a source anywhere - It is a type of Tyvek or Parchment card stock - don't need much of it - but it makes the lights work better. - Just need some white or cream would be okay too.

Name:	100_7747.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	38711

Can anyone help??? where can I find some of this that does not look like it has the measles?

Unfortunate I have tried everything to get the rust out but no good. As you can see by the pics - it has to have some transparancy to do it's job of diffusing light. So if I paint I will cover and then block out the transparency.

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated

Tags