Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I just want to do minor repairs on this one.
never heard that one before

you could try some teak oil on your cabinets, it'll really bring out the richness, but try it in an inconspicuous spot to see if it works well with your wood.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 05:04 AM   #42
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
You can have a Wally table if you want it to be one...I don't mind.
Your table looks great, too. Mine will fit betwen the goucho and the galley cabinet/heater grille, since it is quite narrow.
It stores inside the closet, on the wall next to the stove. There's some adventurous bracketry inside.
Uwe, I am not trying to highjack here... This table, It is original? Mine came with a drop leaf style. It has a metal scroll work at the top of the legs. Sorry I do not have a photo, but I have seen others discussing ones exactly like it and someone said that it was the original table at the last rally. My real question is this: I have heard that there were hooks and a strap to restrain it while in travel. Do you know anything about this? I have scoured the archive photos and do not see it in the years close to 1962. I also do not see any locations that might have had hooks that were removed. Maybe I should go take photos of the table and then post this question elsewhere. Sorry if I am highjacking here.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Yreka , California
Uwe, first time I'd seen this thread, Great GT! I hope we get a chance to see this one sometime.
Don
NorCal Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
sixties stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
Do I have a Wally Table???
It doesn't look quite the same as both of your photos (note my square corners) - yet the formica seems to match the rest of our trailer. All I know is that it seemed to have been tucked away in the closet, untouched for decades.
Sure looks like one except maybe the top has been changed? My table was also tucked away in the closet along with the canopy poles, springs and ties.
Interesting that the legs are more upright also but the same type. Are there empty screw holes underneath the table top?

Uwe's table fits in between counter and couch but my space is just alittle too small.
Is the hardware the same as this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pix 020.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	60392  
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:26 AM   #45
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Uwe, I am not trying to highjack here... This table, It is original? Mine came with a drop leaf style. It has a metal scroll work at the top of the legs. Sorry I do not have a photo, but I have seen others discussing ones exactly like it and someone said that it was the original table at the last rally. My real question is this: I have heard that there were hooks and a strap to restrain it while in travel. Do you know anything about this? I have scoured the archive photos and do not see it in the years close to 1962. I also do not see any locations that might have had hooks that were removed. Maybe I should go take photos of the table and then post this question elsewhere. Sorry if I am highjacking here.
Hello Frank,

I assume that the table is original, since it has the same material covering it as the counters. It also has a bracket inside the closet that holds it, which looks original, with perhaps a sliding part that was replaced over the years. Mine does not have a strap, as far as I remember. There are small aluminum rectangles where the legs touch the skin, most likely to protect the skin from being rubbed through.
My trailer is stored in Malibu, about 80miles away, so I can't run out and take apicturefor you right now.
But, being that you're the resident wood worm....which product do you suggest to to clean the wooden panels and then which product to protect the wood, nourish it, perhaps add a little shine to it?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
That is the original table and yes it stores in the closet - I've always used plain ol lemon oil - don't use pledge.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:34 AM   #47
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
That is the original table and yes it stores in the closet - I've always used plain ol lemon oil - don't use pledge.

Ken
Thanks, Ken! Smells good, too!
Old 05-13-2008, 08:12 AM   #48
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62
Sure looks like one except maybe the top has been changed? My table was also tucked away in the closet along with the canopy poles, springs and ties.
Interesting that the legs are more upright also but the same type. Are there empty screw holes underneath the table top?

Uwe's table fits in between counter and couch but my space is just alittle too small.
Is the hardware the same as this?
I believe it's all the same hardware, yeah. You're likely right about the top, seems out of proportion compared with you guys' tables.

Uwe, we ought to stop in and say hello when we're out there with our '62 this fall. We plan on paying a visit to my parents down the road from you in Laguna Hills.

I'll be keeping an eye on official rallies in that area. Lemmie know if there are any I shouldn't miss, as we're pretty flexible with our travel schedule.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 AM   #49
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
I believe it's all the same hardware, yeah. You're likely right about the top, seems out of proportion compared with you guys' tables.

Uwe, we ought to stop in and say hello when we're out there with our '62 this fall. We plan on paying a visit to my parents down the road from you in Laguna Hills.

I'll be keeping an eye on official rallies in that area. Lemmie know if there are any I shouldn't miss, as we're pretty flexible with our travel schedule.
Great, do stop in, Area63 is only a short drive from Laguna Hills. I would book some beach spaces now, as the spaces fill very quickly. Try San Clemente State Beach, for Starters. They have full hookup sites, as well as dry camp sites.
It seems that there is always something going on with the SoCal Group. Why not give a bang on the pipes when it's a little closer. I know of a Kernville Rally in the fall, it's about 4 hrs from Laguna Hills.
I might hit the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque this fall, time permitting. That would be a nice stopover for you guys.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
My friends '61 Caravel has an original folding table that has an oval top. From memory, I'd say it is about 2' x 4'.

I know it is original because the laminate is an exact match of the original counters. It also has a storage spot in the closet.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #51
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I would book some beach spaces now, as the spaces fill very quickly. Try San Clemente State Beach, for Starters.
Thanks for the tip! We might do that but will also have the niceties of my parents' retirement village to stay at for free. They're not in Leisure World, but next door at a little bit of heaven for Christian Scientists. Those beach spots do sound like the real slice of heaven, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
...balloon fiesta in Albuquerque.. That would be a nice stopover for you guys.
Would it ever - sounds fantastic! We'll absolutely pencil that one in.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #52
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Hello Frank,

I assume that the table is original, since it has the same material covering it as the counters. It also has a bracket inside the closet that holds it, which looks original, with perhaps a sliding part that was replaced over the years. Mine does not have a strap, as far as I remember. There are small aluminum rectangles where the legs touch the skin, most likely to protect the skin from being rubbed through.
My trailer is stored in Malibu, about 80miles away, so I can't run out and take apicturefor you right now.
But, being that you're the resident wood worm....which product do you suggest to to clean the wooden panels and then which product to protect the wood, nourish it, perhaps add a little shine to it?
Watco Danish Finish oil..... the best wood finish in the world! Slow to build but the best just about the only finish that becomes part of the wood causing it to really enhance the grain. Here is how I do it, not the directed way. Sand to 150grit, apply, let dry 24 hours. sand with 180 grit, apply, let dry 24 hours. sand with 220grit, apply, dry 24 hours. Sand 320 grit, apply, dry 24 hours. Now repeat the 320 again. By now it looks like glass that has been wood grained.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:51 PM   #53
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
Watco Danish Finish oil..... the best wood finish in the world! Slow to build but the best just about the only finish that becomes part of the wood causing it to really enhance the grain. Here is how I do it, not the directed way. Sand to 150grit, apply, let dry 24 hours. sand with 180 grit, apply, let dry 24 hours. sand with 220grit, apply, dry 24 hours. Sand 320 grit, apply, dry 24 hours. Now repeat the 320 again. By now it looks like glass that has been wood grained.
Yikes - sounds like labor....
Isn't there some cosmic miracle shmear that does it without the sanding part?
Old 05-13-2008, 02:57 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Yes, but it costs $4,000 per 1/2 pint.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Try Southern Shine.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
>cosmic miracle shmear<
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #57
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
To quote Uwe when I asked him if I could totally renovate a trailer in 5 months... "stop being such a little girl and do it you big (insert another word for a cat) and get it done" Yes, that is what he told me. I listened, I followed his directions and I succeeded. Thank you for that pep talk by the way. I truly am grateful. You asked and I responded. Now from one german to another... Sie können ihm halben Esel machen oder Sie können es rechts machen. Halt sei ein Amerikaner und machen Sie es rechts.
Your clients will respect you....
Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You can make half donkey or you can do it right. Stop being an American and just do it.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:19 PM   #59
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelinium
You can make half donkey or you can do it right. Stop being an American and just do it.
Obviously, what goes around, comes around...
I better shape up and practice what I preach. Now, where's that Danish Oil bottle...
Old 05-13-2008, 06:45 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Obviously, what goes around, comes around...
I better shape up and practice what I preach. Now, where's that Danish Oil bottle...
Just as a reminder, by Page 5 of your original "63 For Me" thread, you had already pulled off the shell, removed the floor, and made major modifications to the frame:

So, comparatively, a little sanding and some Danish finish oil sounds pretty simple...
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote