Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
New Henschen axle installed on the 1964 Globetrotter!

I've been reading here and talking with some of you for quite some time about the easy job of installing new axles. HA. Turns out it wasn't too complicated but it took all day. The old shocks look like they must have been original from 1964... no shock, no absorbing, no damping, no nothing left. The auto parts store said they never saw a shock like that. So... we just put the axle on with no shocks, no shock mounting brackets welded on, etc.
Even without shocks, the trailer gained over 3" of height and rode great down the road coming home. I'll do some research on how to get specs on shocks, figure out who can order them for me, and then we'll arc weld the mounting brackets on so they'll fit the shocks.
All in all, it was a good day and not too ridiculous but it's still a big job.
GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Hi,

I think Andy at Inland Rv in California has them.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Well I have put on the same Henschen axel that you just put on.... Both on Globe Trotters,,, 1962 and a 1961... I'm now about to put a third one on... I Put the shocks on the 1961 and did not on the 1962 to see if the shocks are realy needed.. To be honest I can not tell a difference! I called Henschen and talked to a person for about an hour about the Henschen Axles... He told me that you do not need shocks...(in fact with shocks the axel dose not work the way it was intended) but I put them on one anyways to see if there is a difference...

I know there has been a lot of talk about this... but I realy would like to hear real world test out there to see what others are doing...or think?

Andy, as you all know is the only place to buy the Henschen and I think that they are worth the price! If you are replacing axles don't even think about not putting disks breaks on! (yes even on a Globe Trotter!)
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Henchen axles MADE IN CHINA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream
Well I have put on the same Henschen axel that you just put on.... Both on Globe Trotters,,, 1962 and a 1961... I'm now about to put a third one on... I Put the shocks on the 1961 and did not on the 1962 to see if the shocks are realy needed.. To be honest I can not tell a difference! I called Henschen and talked to a person for about an hour about the Henschen Axles... He told me that you do not need shocks...(in fact with shocks the axel dose not work the way it was intended) but I put them on one anyways to see if there is a difference...

I know there has been a lot of talk about this... but I realy would like to hear real world test out there to see what others are doing...or think?

Andy, as you all know is the only place to buy the Henschen and I think that they are worth the price! If you are replacing axles don't even think about not putting disks breaks on! (yes even on a Globe Trotter!)
I have had my New Henchen a few years now and while in the process of repacking the bearings this spring noticed the seals had allowed some black discoloration past them and the bearing was corrupted. Instead of repacking I decided to replace the bearings, cups and seals to be sure.

Too my dismay, I found that the cups are MADE in CHINA. The seals had a single rubber band surface and the replacements have two.

After getting the run around from NAPA I drove to the Airstream dealer and made sure they were all made in USA Timken replacements.

This is a problem as the quality of the (China) parts are inferior, unsafe and every purchase from China displaces jobs that used to be here. I do not want to get in an arguement with a ecomomics major about why this has happened. I have heard enough to decide where I will buy products from.

Another problem seems to be quality control related as the cotter pin holes and set nut are not cooperating. The cotter pin hole on the street side is drilled slighty off center across the spindle which makes running the cotter pin through the set nut very difficult.

I will try a smaller cotter pin next but this does not give my a warm feeling.

As to the Made in China parts in an axle assembled in OHIO to be installed in an Airstream? Shame on the bean counters. Shame on Henchen and Airstream for allowing it in the first place. Andy can also step up and have this changed.

As to the question about shocks....is that not why they call them shocks? The purpose is to dampen the secondary reflex of the spring or rubber after the first impact and return the wheel to it's set position, yes?

Back to the Axles. Everyone should insist that their NEW axle order contains only American made parts. If you do not, they are NOT worth the money.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Thanks for the heads-up on the bearings. I'll keep an eye on those. I imagine I'll get the shocks installed pretty soon. First gotta get some new tires - another hot topic! The local tire guy from "brand D" tire chain is supposed to call back with prices on the Maxxis. I sure have read a lot about trailer tires and every brand has enemies out there someplace, although it's harder to find enemies of the Maxxis. Maybe because it's harder to find Maxxis tires.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Congrats Bob on your install! I must say that I am bit disappointed that I did not get the call to lend a hand, but we will take that up over the fire pit sometime. The OEM shocks can be had from Jim May RV in Findlay OH. for the best price I found anywhere.

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Safrai62

I would be interested in the color of the grease between the spindles and the inner race on your repacking. Also if yo can remember when you opened things up were the magnets free floating on the arm or were they STUCK in place. The grease on my spindles was orange (rust) where as the original was Valvoline and bright red.

I bought some of the Chineese axles 2 years ago and lost all my brakes on my last trip to Fl. The magnets were stuck in place by the dust from the cheap Chineese magnets. The bearing a Chineese and yes the Chineese seals are single lip.

I just replaced the complete backer platers and used Good double lip seals.

If you want to see some of my comments you can check out this post

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...oes-40814.html

It also has links to my earlier question on this subject.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
Safrai62

I bought some of the Chineese axles 2 years ago and lost all my brakes on my last trip to Fl. The magnets were stuck in place by the dust from the cheap Chineese magnets. The bearing a Chineese and yes the Chineese seals are single lip.
Howie.

The axles you purchased are "NOT" Chinese.

They are made in Jackson Center, Ohio, by GKN, known as Henschen.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes the axles were made in Jackson. But the brake components supplied with the axles were not. Sorry Andy but I can read and the words "Made in China" are clearly marked on the bearings. There are no manufatures marks on the magnets or shoes so I have to take the words of the customer service individual at Henschin that told me the brakes are Chineese.

My reason for posting here is to see if anyone else that has installed axles in the last year or so has found the same problems I have, lose of brakes, rust marking on the inside of the races, and degrading of the grease.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
Yes the axles were made in Jackson. But the brake components supplied with the axles were not. Sorry Andy but I can read and the words "Made in China" are clearly marked on the bearings. There are no manufatures marks on the magnets or shoes so I have to take the words of the customer service individual at Henschin that told me the brakes are Chineese.

My reason for posting here is to see if anyone else that has installed axles in the last year or so has found the same problems I have, lose of brakes, rust marking on the inside of the races, and degrading of the grease.
Howie,

I was only referring to the axles, nothing more.

Andy
Old 04-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Andy, The point that is brought up here; Do you have the "pull" to get all the axles built to USE USA Timken, or US made bearings and brake parts?
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhobby
Andy, The point that is brought up here; Do you have the "pull" to get all the axles built to USE USA Timken, or US made bearings and brake parts?
I will make this "one and only" post regarding the China question.

To have parts made in the good ole USA or even many other products, at a price that USA citizens can afford, is getting more and more difficult by the day.

Sears started the issue many years ago, by having products made, and having the Sears name placed on them. The same holds true today for many parts, in many different industries.

Therefore, it is not unusual, for thousands of US companies to have parts made in a foreign country, and having their name placed on that part.

That holds true, as an example, for automotive and truck parts, RV parts, electronic parts and thousands more.

Word has it from more than one reliable source, that most USA manufacturers of bearings, indeed have them made in China, and have their USA name placed or stamped into that part.

That type of activity was more than likely caused by ourselves, because of our labor rates, and literally in thousands of industries.

We read about those things everyday.

Do I have an influence with GKN Henschen? Sure do. But how much is the question.

Back then, when Airstream bought all of their axles from Henschen, even during the heydays, that business was about 3 to 4 percent of Henschens total business.

At this point in time, we are, obviously a fraction of that business.

Hopefully, that answers the question as to how much pull I have with Henschen, some yes, but the kind to force them to change some venders, no.

The question then became, "how about if we specified American made parts, ONLY."

First thing that would happen, is a huge time delay, of several months to get parts from a USA manufacturer. Second, would be a price increase.

Why price increases from a USA manufacturer?

Steel prices, fuel surcharges, shipping charges, labor costs, warehousing costs, liability insurance costs, and the list goes on and on.

It's always been interesting, of why we can export raw materials to foreign countries, they in turn make a product, ship it back to the USA, and sell it for a fraction of our selling prices for the same thing. Labor differences, sure. But other things too.

At best, most of these problems we created ourselves.

What is the answer to these problems?

Who knows? I don't know, does anyone know?

We could all say that we won't buy anything unless it was made in the USA.

WOW !!!

If we did that, how many people could afford the new prices we would all have to pay?

Of course, that would help our employment problems, and I am sure reduced the foreclosures that surround us today.

We can't even control fuel prices, let alone foreign made parts.

Freight charges today, is a JOKE and a half."

Freight line fuel surcharges are now at 32 percent. Residental deliver charges are now $75.00. Calling you to see if someone is home to accept the freight, is $30.00.

In some instances, the freight lines "extra charges," exceed the actual freight charges.

Local business deliverys now are adding fuel surcharges, etc. We just paid a $65.00 fuel surcharge for a delivery of less than 20 miles.

Where will it end??????

I was taught that to end something, you have to go back to the beginning, and start fixing it from there.

Any volunteers??

This subject can go on forever, with thousands of fixes, remedies, and opinions.

Historians say, "world wars," while a huge disaster, brings our country and it's people, closer together, as well as solving many other problems. I don't want to go there again.

The idiotic behavior of all to many foreigners as well as USA citizens, on the Arizona Memorial, is more than disgusting. What a way to say thank you, to those that gave their lives, for you and me. It's a Memorial, not a playground.

This is my one and only post on this subject, since my time is already commited to working on many things, that I can change, or have an influence on.

And then too, I must remember, especially in my senior years, "I ain't what I used to be," and I want and need to spend much more time with my loved ones.

Now I put my soap box away.

Furthermore, because of some health issues, Hawaii keeps on calling, louder and louder.

Respectfully, to all.

Andy
Old 04-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks Andy for your perspectives.
Whether we like it or not, we are in a world economy. Sometimes it drives me crazy though...
Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
thanks andy, nice post!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Can we afford not to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
I will make this "one and only" post regarding the China question.

To have parts made in the good ole USA or even many other products, at a price that USA citizens can afford, is getting more and more difficult by the day.

Sears started the issue many years ago, by having products made, and having the Sears name placed on them. The same holds true today for many parts, in many different industries.

Therefore, it is not unusual, for thousands of US companies to have parts made in a foreign country, and having their name placed on that part.

That holds true, as an example, for automotive and truck parts, RV parts, electronic parts and thousands more.

Word has it from more than one reliable source, that most USA manufacturers of bearings, indeed have them made in China, and have their USA name placed or stamped into that part.

That type of activity was more than likely caused by ourselves, because of our labor rates, and literally in thousands of industries.

We read about those things everyday.

Do I have an influence with GKN Henschen? Sure do. But how much is the question.

Back then, when Airstream bought all of their axles from Henschen, even during the heydays, that business was about 3 to 4 percent of Henschens total business.

At this point in time, we are, obviously a fraction of that business.

Hopefully, that answers the question as to how much pull I have with Henschen, some yes, but the kind to force them to change some venders, no.

The question then became, "how about if we specified American made parts, ONLY."

First thing that would happen, is a huge time delay, of several months to get parts from a USA manufacturer. Second, would be a price increase.

Why price increases from a USA manufacturer?

Steel prices, fuel surcharges, shipping charges, labor costs, warehousing costs, liability insurance costs, and the list goes on and on.

It's always been interesting, of why we can export raw materials to foreign countries, they in turn make a product, ship it back to the USA, and sell it for a fraction of our selling prices for the same thing. Labor differences, sure. But other things too.

At best, most of these problems we created ourselves.

What is the answer to these problems?

Who knows? I don't know, does anyone know?

We could all say that we won't buy anything unless it was made in the USA.

WOW !!!

If we did that, how many people could afford the new prices we would all have to pay?

Of course, that would help our employment problems, and I am sure reduced the foreclosures that surround us today.

We can't even control fuel prices, let alone foreign made parts.

Freight charges today, is a JOKE and a half."

Freight line fuel surcharges are now at 32 percent. Residental deliver charges are now $75.00. Calling you to see if someone is home to accept the freight, is $30.00.

In some instances, the freight lines "extra charges," exceed the actual freight charges.

Local business deliverys now are adding fuel surcharges, etc. We just paid a $65.00 fuel surcharge for a delivery of less than 20 miles.

Where will it end??????

I was taught that to end something, you have to go back to the beginning, and start fixing it from there.

Any volunteers??

This subject can go on forever, with thousands of fixes, remedies, and opinions.

Historians say, "world wars," while a huge disaster, brings our country and it's people, closer together, as well as solving many other problems. I don't want to go there again.

The idiotic behavior of all to many foreigners as well as USA citizens, on the Arizona Memorial, is more than disgusting. What a way to say thank you, to those that gave their lives, for you and me. It's a Memorial, not a playground.

This is my one and only post on this subject, since my time is already commited to working on many things, that I can change, or have an influence on.

And then too, I must remember, especially in my senior years, "I ain't what I used to be," and I want and need to spend much more time with my loved ones.

Now I put my soap box away.

Furthermore, because of some health issues, Hawaii keeps on calling, louder and louder.

Respectfully, to all.

Andy
Andy asks, can we afford to buy American made parts even if we wanted to?

I would ask if Airstream owners that are already prepared to pay extra for the perceived quality that comes with Airstream knew that lower cost and quality Chinese parts were built into their vehicles, they would pay extra for the added saftey and quality?

We are talking about a few extra dollars per part that may add up to a several hundred dollars spent on a new trailer.

Compare that to the lower quality, safety, and longevity of that part and add in lost jobs, communities, families, and what was the American standard of living that is disappearing before our eyes.

Andy says high labor cost have made it unaffordable for us to buy American made products. Somehow the CEO's that sent the jobs away and are still receiving their 30 million dollar bonus are not responsible.

We DO all have to make a choice. When I go the Sears to buy a tool, it is marked on the package if it is made in the USA or in China. That's where I make a choice.

When I discovered my Henshen/InlandRV axle had Made in China parts, they were removed and replaced with USA parts.

What is the real cost to have scrap metal shipped from here, turned into lower quality, unsafe and inferior part made with almost slave labor and then shipped BACK here and sold to us with a much higher profit margin to the middlemen?

Why is fuel and shipping so much more expensive here? One reason is the increased fuel demand from China, making inferior and low cost products to sell to Americans that think they are saving a few bucks.

Factor in the lost jobs, unsafe and inferior running gear, lost tax base from thousands of businesses and workers.

Save now, spend later.

Demand American parts for your American Icon Airstream!
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 06:41 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
Everybody loves pictures

Finally getting around to posting the photos of the install of the new Henschen. Also since then I found black solid steel wheels and added new Maxxis trailer tires. The most amazing thing was (this is a '64 Globetrotter)... got the old axle off and looked at its data plate - 1970. Now there's a mystery. Why replace a 6 year old axle? Hit something maybe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old-axle.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	61569   Click image for larger version

Name:	axle-free.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	61570  

Name:	new-axle.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	201.6 KB
ID:	61571   Click image for larger version

Name:	new-wheels-and-tires.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	61572  

Name:	old-axle-data-plate.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	61573  
Old 06-01-2008, 07:50 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Globe-Trottin
Nice shop,and I was wondering how I was gonna get the axles in place, I never thought of an ATV or Motorcycle jack PERFECT. Thanks for the pic's.My axles are in the process as we speak I hope. My axles are scheduled for delivery July 1st. Any chance we might see you at the Detroit-Metro Rally in August. The area where U live in is my old stompin grounds. We might have a lot to discuss. Hope to see U there.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
As correct as Andy is, I work for an American electronics manufacturer that makes products in an American factory. The parts are sourced both in the US and in Asia simply because a domestic supply is not available on all items. We charge more for our products than our made in China competitors do but our products tend to perform better, have a longer service life, and can be serviced (not disposable).

Consumers are part of the problem. Most people ask "what's the price?" before they ask "what's the quality?" many sellers hear that and say I had better sell based on price not quality.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
I wish I could claim that shop as mine. It belongs to a buddy who does a lot of car and motorcycle work on weekends for fun. We had a blast doing the axle on the Airstream.
Regarding the Detroit rally, the timing is a little off for me. I'll be returning from a week out of town on business Saturday afternoon. It's possible I'll make an appearance there Saturday night.

Tags
1964, 1964 globetrotter