Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Globetrotter > 1960 - 1964 Globetrotter
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM   #1

1963 19' Globetrotter
AUSTIN , Texas
1963 Globetrotter black holding tank ideas?

Hi,

This is my first post to the forums, which frankly are an amazing resource.

I have a '63 Globetrotter that I'm working on fixing up. I'm currently replacing the entire floor, when I got it the rear bath had been removed. From what I've read it previously probably had a black tank above the floor. Since I don't have
any of the original bath fixtures I figure I'll be creating a bathroom on my own. I'm trying to figure out the best option in terms of holding tanks. Under the floor, above the floor, extending below the bellypan or not, what size is best, etc. Opinions? I think I'm leaning toward trying to fit a prefabricated one in under the floor somehow.

Thanks in advance.
Darin
dgreene72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreene72 View Post
Hi,

This is my first post to the forums, which frankly are an amazing resource.

I have a '63 Globetrotter that I'm working on fixing up. I'm currently replacing the entire floor, when I got it the rear bath had been removed. From what I've read it previously probably had a black tank above the floor. Since I don't have
any of the original bath fixtures I figure I'll be creating a bathroom on my own. I'm trying to figure out the best option in terms of holding tanks. Under the floor, above the floor, extending below the bellypan or not, what size is best, etc. Opinions? I think I'm leaning toward trying to fit a prefabricated one in under the floor somehow.

Thanks in advance.
Darin
If you decide to add a black tank below the floor, then you can use tanks that are considerably larger that are for the 64 to 67 trailers.

Fiberglass tanks are available that enables you to place the vent and floor flange fittings, wherever you need them to be.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #3

1963 19' Globetrotter
AUSTIN , Texas
Thanks for the reply, I found this in another post here and I think I am going to go this route for the black water holding

Holding Tank Bottom Drain HT630BSBD

I'm missing all of the previous bath vents. So I don't know what the original configuration looked like. From what I've seen in other posts it seem like I'd be able to put the bath sink vent and the black holding tank vent in to the vent pipe that is there for the kitchen sink already.

If I added a grey tank, I'd have to figure out where to vent it to. Not sure how tired I'd get of the blue rolling thing
dgreene72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
don't know if you are still working on this but i have a '63 Globetrotter that I'm rebuilding. The bath was still kind of intact when I picked her up and i have some photos of the before the demo if that would help you. Was yours built in CA. or Ohio? I'll be adding tanks as well as everything else.
geoff evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Syracuse , New York
1963 Globetrotter

Darin, shoot me an message if you'd like some photos of the original bath venting. I'm also working on a '63 globetrotter restoration and have been photographing as I tear down.

Matt
mhutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #6

1964 19' Globetrotter
Collierville , Tennessee
Rusted galvanized pan under black water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff evans View Post
don't know if you are still working on this but i have a '63 Globetrotter that I'm rebuilding. The bath was still kind of intact when I picked her up and i have some photos of the before the demo if that would help you. Was yours built in CA. or Ohio? I'll be adding tanks as well as everything else.
Geoff: I have a 64 Globetrotter (CA made) that has a rusted out pan under the black water tank and inside the belly pan. Any suggestions on how to address the replacement of this pan. The system is functioning well but the rusted out pan allows a lot of dust to get sucked into the rear end when we are on dirt roads. Thanks!
Boneydog1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Bolinas , California
I ended up putting in a gray tank from Icon.com. It mounts under the floor in the frame. Had to do some welding. It hangs below the belly pan. When I get back to replacing the belly pan I'll probably install some brackets to help support the tank and then rap it with a new pelly pan cover for the dust factor. I still have the above floor black tank that I will put in when I get back to the bathroom. I got kind of side tracked from the '63 GT and have been working on a '66 overlander. It had the rusted out metal box with styrofoam that supported the tank. Pulled it out and put in an Icon tank. I don't think my '63 had another tank but the above floor black tank.
geoff evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneydog1225 View Post
Geoff: I have a 64 Globetrotter (CA made) that has a rusted out pan under the black water tank and inside the belly pan. Any suggestions on how to address the replacement of this pan.
We replaced the black tank pan in our '64 GT (before we sold it) with a new stainless steel pan. You can see some pics & what we did here. We also repaired the fiberglass tank and toilet while we were at it...it was a dirty job, but one that needed to be done. When we were done, it was better than new!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags