Old 12-03-2004, 02:08 PM   #15

just got our '69 caravel. Any clues about replacement fan for vent. It had a fan, (someone really stripped her of the "little things"), it still has the wiring exposed and I'm hoping to find ont that'll fit the opening w/o starting over. Also, any info about the "awning" missing from our front window? Thinking of fabricating one myself of alum. Busy right now replacing floorboards, linoleum. Will be posting pics,... sometime! Racing the winter weather to replace weatherstripping.

Old 02-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Unhappy 69 Caravel Owner

Also have a 69. However, we are in the process of a complete rebuild. Floor has been replaced with ash hardwood. Have all the interior. Do not believe that we will use much of it in rebuild. Adding solar/batteries, intelli charger, inverter, New wiring, New A/c, Moving spare tire to under the front as new CCD models, New zip-dee all around. Major rebuild. dan 14148

Old 09-10-2005, 10:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi,

I'm not a trailer camper (yet!), but while looking for a trailer for my sister I came across a 69 Caravel. It caught my eye right away....it was the only trailer that was esthetically attractive in the entire park....it is in great shape and it is for sale.

The owner gave the 5 cent tour and said he'd let it go cheap...$3000 (it would cost him another $1000 to renew his site rental for 2006). Like I said, I'm more of a canoe/tent camper - but with 2 new kids maybe a trailer is in my future.

My first inclination was to buy and sell (like most, I could use a few extra $) but this trailer is growing on me.

Problem is, when I search the net, I find very little info on the 69 Carvel...why is that?
Were there only a few made? Or have they just been slowly getting recycled into pop cans? It makes it difficult for me to say whether or not it is CHEAP.
This one looks to be completely orignal inside...it's like a time capsule.
At any rate, I'd better decide to either:
1) Move on.... now is not the best time ($$$) to be buying anything.
2) Buy it now and sell
3) Buy it and keep it (if I can convince my wife that is

Any advice...or good sales pitches that I can use on my wife and kids?
Old 09-10-2005, 10:53 PM   #18
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Buy it! Those little trailers are hot items.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:31 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julison
The owner gave the 5 cent tour and said he'd let it go cheap...$3000 (it would cost him another $1000 to renew his site rental for 2006). Like I said, I'm more of a canoe/tent camper - but with 2 new kids maybe a trailer is in my future.
Were there only a few made? Or have they just been slowly getting recycled into pop cans? It makes it difficult for me to say whether or not it is CHEAP.
This one looks to be completely orignal inside...it's like a time capsule.
At any rate, I'd better decide to either:
1) Move on.... now is not the best time ($$$) to be buying anything.
2) Buy it now and sell
3) Buy it and keep it (if I can convince my wife that is

Any advice...or good sales pitches that I can use on my wife and kids?
First, welcome to the forums.
Now,There were not all that many 1969 Caravelles made, most of them were larger models.
IF it is in good shape, $3000 is a good price, grab it, these things go for a ton of money if they are all there, and in good condition.
If you decide to keep it, there are some things to look for, if you just want to "flip" the trailer, put some tires on it, make sure everything works, and sell it.
Things to look for Things to look for include axle condition, plumbing, furnace, and floor rot. Most are minor, and a forum search of these items will show you what to look for with each item.
Good luck with it
Old 09-11-2005, 07:09 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
First, welcome to the forums.
Now,There were not all that many 1969 Caravelles made, most of them were larger models.
IF it is in good shape, $3000 is a good price, grab it, these things go for a ton of money if they are all there, and in good condition.
If you decide to keep it, there are some things to look for, if you just want to "flip" the trailer, put some tires on it, make sure everything works, and sell it.
Things to look for Things to look for include axle condition, plumbing, furnace, and floor rot. Most are minor, and a forum search of these items will show you what to look for with each item.
Good luck with it
Well, it's done.
I bought the 69 Caravel for $2500 (canadian).
I gave it a much closer look this time and I DID find some soft spots in the floor near the shower (nothing very major (at this point). There was also some water marks on teh edge of the front wingtip window (the window is missing the Cam closing mechanism on this side of the window). The furnace, stove & fridge are there an working.

The skin still has its clear coat. I'm not sure if that is bad or good. The ALuminum looks fine...but from what I gather, if I want to polish I'll need to strip that first (one extra weekend!)

The trailer was moved to its current location last year so I'll have to assume the axle and bearings are good for now (I only live 4km away so it'll have to get that far for now.

When it gets home I'll post some pictures.
Old 09-18-2005, 08:03 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Talking 69 Caravel - Brought it HOME Today!

Very Cool Day...Sort of!

So today I went and picked up the trailor from its previous "FIXED Address". Hooked it up to my 2005 Hyundai Tuscon and drove it home.
Problem begins here....I kinda thought this might happen. You see, I live on a hill - my driveway is an 11 degree gravel road - I could not get the trailor to the top of th edrveway.... just spinning tires. So luckiliy I have a more round about (through a neighbours yard..across a field...into my back yard) way into my place. So the trailor is at home...safe and sound. Overall it is in very good condition ...a bit of rot under the battery and dc convertor

Q1)
I've got pictures but I can't get the web site to upload them they are ~ 400 kbytes.... (how do you shrink them below the 100 kbyte limit without them becoming all blurry?).

Q2)
I had the impression that the tongue weight was going to be ~ 200 lbs ..tops. I'll admit I'm coming of a flu and don't feel quite up to par - but I could not budge the tongue off the gound. I thought that these trailors were balanced very miticulously..... how could it be soooo heavy?

Q3)
What was the orginal sound system in this model...mine has an old pioneer 8 track.... beautiful sound on the radio... can't seem to find my 8 tracks to test the deck though.

Q4)
I'll assume the frame is heavy gauge steel and that an aluminum frame is mounted and attached to the steel frame..is that right? I noticed that the frame is very rusty back near where the rear bumper is - I'm worried that the frame under the aluminum underbelly could be rotten too - any history of execessive frame rot (i'd like not to peel the panels off the under belly just to make me sleep easier).

Thank in advance for any help ..especially with the tongue weight question.

Gerry
Old 09-18-2005, 08:20 PM   #22
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julison
Very Cool Day...Sort of!
Q1)
I've got pictures but I can't get the web site to upload them they are ~ 400 kbytes.... (how do you shrink them below the 100 kbyte limit without them becoming all blurry?).

Q2)
I had the impression that the tongue weight was going to be ~ 200 lbs ..tops. I'll admit I'm coming of a flu and don't feel quite up to par - but I could not budge the tongue off the gound. I thought that these trailors were balanced very miticulously..... how could it be soooo heavy?

Q3)
What was the orginal sound system in this model...mine has an old pioneer 8 track.... beautiful sound on the radio... can't seem to find my 8 tracks to test the deck though.

Q4)
I'll assume the frame is heavy gauge steel and that an aluminum frame is mounted and attached to the steel frame..is that right? I noticed that the frame is very rusty back near where the rear bumper is - I'm worried that the frame under the aluminum underbelly could be rotten too - any history of execessive frame rot (i'd like not to peel the panels off the under belly just to make me sleep easier).

Thank in advance for any help ..especially with the tongue weight question.

Gerry
Tongue weight should be around 350-400 pounds. You will find if you use weight distribution bars, it will transfer some of that weight to the front wheels of your Hyundai, and it will go up your hill at home easier, among other things. The tongue weight is deliberatley high so the weight can be moved around between tow vehicle and trailer to balance things out, so it will be more stable.
The best way I have found to post photos here, is to turn down the gain on my digital camera when taking photos, and I can then post them without having to mess with them at all.
The 8 track may or may not have been original, I prefer CD's, and electronic tuners. You can install this in your coach with little problem, in fact I would recommend it, unless you are going to restore your coach to "as built".
Frame rot is a potential problem, I would check for rust holes in the frame, especially along the bottom edge of it. I have some rusty outriggers on our Overlander, I will get them taken care of when I can, but they are not danerously rotted. The best way to check the frame for rot is to remove the belly pan from under the trailer. On your coach, you have a bananna wrap, which is curved from the body to just under normal viewing angles, then a belly pan that goes from the banana wrap under the trailer to the bananna wrap on the opposite side. These are usually riveted on, but may be screwed on. Removing some rivets to check on the frame condition is not tough, just make sure you have rivets to replace the ones you drill out, you don't have to drop the entire pan to get a good look at the frame. Don't be alarmed by surface rust, that is what POR 15 is for.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:53 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Pictures of the "purchase"

Hi there,

Here are some pics of the Caravel.
I've heard that you can tell when an axel needs replacing just from a pic. Does mine need repacing..It towed fine....

thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS FL.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	14736   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS Back Left.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	14737  

Name:	AS Front.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	14738   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS UnderBelly.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	14739  

Name:	wheel.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	14740  
Old 09-22-2005, 09:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hi Julison;

As mentioned we have a 69 Globe Trotter. Not 100% because they did strange things in the change over years - but I would double check your serial number to determine the year of your Caravel - it may be a 1970 as opposed to a 1969.

The front wing windows give it away. In 1970 they used the curved corners whereas in 69 they were square at the bottom - a poor design element - which made them not interchangable thus an added expense and increase inventory.

post your serial number and we can check it out.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:08 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Smile Cute Caravel

Julison, The overall condition of the body looks fine in your photos. I'd say the axles are prob. okay as it appears that a bit of the tire is visable above the upper-most point on the wheel (rim).

GT6921, Good point regarding the front window design, but...note that the rear window has the square corners, which was changed to rounded corners in 1970. So, maybe this is a late '69 or early '70 model: a bit of a hybrid. As you pointed out, the Airstream factory has produced some interesting combinations over the years.

Julison, Judging by your pictures and description, I think you you made a wise purchase. It will need some minor work (assuming the frame's solid) but nothing major. And you'll have a dandy little trailer to show for it!

Good luck & keep us posted.
MarkE
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 08:40 AM   #26
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Julison, looks like you got a steal, and you should REALLY be pleased that you have the "D" windows from the '70 model rather than the one-year-only square corner windows on the 'standard' '69. Good job! From the Airstream weights file, your '69 Caravel weighs 2880lbs dry with a 360lb hitch weight. Your Hyundai has a tow rating of 1500kg (roughly 3500lbs). You're going to be at the upper limit of your Hyundai's ability with the Caravel. Use a weight distributing hitch (my experience is with Reese, but there are other excellent brands out there as well) with built-in sway control. Load the trailer lightly, and try to travel with the tanks empty. Water weighs 8lbs/gallon.

The axle, IMHO, appears to be marginal. The 'bounce-test' is probably the easiest way to determine whether you need a new one. Have someone stand outside and watch at the level of the wheelwell, and someone else with some bulk stand inside and 'bounce' the trailer. If the outside observer sees travel in the suspension, it's probably still OK. If all your observer sees is sidewall flex, then it's time for a new axle.

Good job! You really did well!

Roger
Old 09-23-2005, 09:36 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Ottawa , Ontario
Serial Number for 69 Caravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Hi Julison;

As mentioned we have a 69 Globe Trotter. Not 100% because they did strange things in the change over years - but I would double check your serial number to determine the year of your Caravel - it may be a 1970 as opposed to a 1969.

The front wing windows give it away. In 1970 they used the curved corners whereas in 69 they were square at the bottom - a poor design element - which made them not interchangable thus an added expense and increase inventory.

post your serial number and we can check it out.
Thanks for the input.
The serial # is 018D9J192
Floor Plan: http://www.airstreammotorhomes.com/t...caravel_18.pdf
thanks again,

Julison
Old 09-23-2005, 10:03 PM   #28
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
The serial # is 018D9J192

Airstream has a helpful brochure to help date trailers

The way I read your number - it was made early in 69.

O - this one is tough - O meant overlander package in 68 - don't know about 69
18 - 18 feet
D - rear bath/double bed
9 - 1969
J - made in Jackson center OH
192 - 192nd made that year

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote