Old 10-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1952 21' Flying Cloud
Conifer , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racnreno
Ok, long story short, I have inherited a VERY near original 1949 22' liner / Globetrotter in great condition. 28 years ago I helped out an uncle who inherited it and needed my help (yes i'm a truck guy) hauling back to Socal from Colorado. Fast forward 28 years, It has been sitting as I unhitched it 28 years ago. In fact, it's in the exact same spot! I'm very interested in making it "useable" as a weekender. Ideas????
I. Just did a Colo 51 AS. The belly cover is prob.full of animal gatherings . if the floor is still attached to the body you may have a good trailer .the exterior. Can be painted if too corroded to shine. Interior keep if good . Do service driveline. You have a lot of work to restore. think about it first.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
dude st. , California
UPDATE...she's home!

Yep the '49 liner is home. At least for a while. Greased it up, slapped on new rubber, hung a couple lights and we were off. Made the trip easy peezy! After hauling toyhaulers and such the light little Airstream is like not towing at all. Even gas mileage was barely effected. The carpet you see is little squares and easily removable. The floor appears to be solid throughout. Anyway, now the fun begins...What to do. Take a look at the pics and feel free to chime in. My options as I see it are
1. Sell it as is.
2. Clean it up, but not use it (little rough for camping amenities)
3. Full blow re-do (electric, plumbing, remodel for bathroom)
I would love to go with option 3 but the cost is $$$$$

AAARRRGGGG what to do????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3945.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	173972   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3954.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	173973  

Name:	SAM_3948.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	173974   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3949.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	173975  

Old 12-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Real nice

I have been waiting to hear back from you and the plans. From what I see, seal up the leaks, put in new rubber seals at the doors and side windows...the end windows are another story....clean up the messy stuff on the inside and get some electricity in there. The other systems can come later. I can almost guaranty that the floor is shot at both ends....because of those end windows. Most likely by the door too. Again, you can live with those problems if not very bad. Get used to it, take inventory and go from there. Your right about $$$$$. Most of all. HAVE FUN with it and don't let it eat you up. Give me a call if you decide to sell it...I never learn.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
dude st. , California
More stuff...

Thanks for the reply. As far as the leaks go, it appears that the roof vents were left open! Yep years and years of sitting through all sorts of weather with the stupid vents open. First thing I did was spray the vent operators with penetrant spray and then light oil. They work like new now. I checked out the floor and its good all the way front to back. Gotta say I'm amazed at the overall condition. I guess Socal weather is good for preservation.
Anyone know how to confirm that interior is original, dealer installed? Some parts are obviously original while others seem questionable. See rear compartment bulkheads. They look like corrugated and not original yet, the rear sink has an cabinet door that matched the galley?????
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_3950.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	173991   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3942.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	173992  

Old 12-06-2012, 12:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
I've said it before, but that is one fine example of an early Liner.

Since this trailer came to you out of the blue (rather than representing a life long dream come true), and you're even thinking about selling it, I tend to think that's what you're most likely going to end up doing. Since you own it for only the cost of hauling it home, selling it as is would probably yield more $ profit than trying to fix it up to some degree, and flip it.

Option 2 will just have it tying up space beside your house while you tinker with it until pursuing option 1. Too much casual tinkering might even devalue what at this moment is somewhat of a time capsule.

Option 3 as you know is the road to the money pit. It would probably cost you $2-3K just to get it polished.

From what I've observed over the past few years, I would think it is worth between $8-12K as it sits. Just my guess. I would tend to think that the ideal buyer would be a person that specifically wants to restore an early Liner as an act of love (where you value your time at about 50 cents per hour) with the intention of keeping it forever.

There is presently one for sale on ebay that is not nearly as nice as yours. It's been listed for a while for $10K+, but I'd be very surprised if it sells for that. I know someone that recently bought what he describes as the world's nicest original Liner for $7-8K. However, he is an experienced hunter/collector with a lot of trailers, and a lot of contacts.
On the other end of the spectrum, I can recall seeing a really nicely restored (frame off and fully polished) '49 or '50 sell for $18K a year or two ago.

Good luck if you decide to sell, be patient, and don't give it away.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It's so adorable!

Maggie
Old 12-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
dude st. , California
Why i'm torn on this

You are probably right in the fact that simple selling it is by far the easiest way to go...and probably the smartest. But...
If you read the first thread in this long story, what i failed to mention is that this is in fact my second early Liner!
When my uncle asked my to drive back to Colorado and pick up this Liner 27 years ago, he gave he his old one. Yep, there was two 22" liners in the family. a '48 and a '49. Well the '48 which was given to me was really rough and heavily modified. I was a kid and thought it would be cool to have. Then I realized the amount to work it would take and the cost and decided to get out of it. I sold it for a few bucks and never forgave myself for it. My uncle who gave my the trailer was very hurt by my "profiteering" as he saw it. That is why I'm leaning towards keeping this one.
So, there's the story.
Now then...I'm looking for a "Know-it-all" but in a good way!. Someone who can tell me more about what was available in '49. Shall I say a vintage guru. Some one who know the details about what a '49 would have come with (options), what is original in my trailer. I look at things and say, "that can't be original", and then see other vintage units with same stuff. Anybody know an expert?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1936 20' Clipper
1947 22' Liner
Curtis Wright
1989 37' Airstream 370
marshfield , Massachusetts
Well I guess that changes everything. This will be a great way to unload a ton of guilt that you've been carrying for a while.

If you simply google "Airstream Liner" you will come across a ton of information and images regarding your trailer. There are lots of people on this forum who will be able to answer all of your questions.

The best thing about these early trailers is their simplicity. There was very little to them other than the sink/stove cabinet, a closet, and a couple of overhead cabinets. Looks like the original hardware is intact. From the photos, it appears that some things have been added. The white paint and corrugated bulkheads are not stock. Hopefully nothing original has been removed. Once you get those end windows fixed up, it will look even better. You might want to forget the polishing part all together and retain that natural "patina".

You've got a great project ahead. Glad you're keeping it. I'll be rooting for you!

Charly

Tags