Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Ribs, Skins & Rivets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #721
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I understand not using it for bugs, but corrosion? What makes this different than sandpaper? sand = glass

I learned the hard way, tried the Scotch-brite in an emergency to get the bugs off the old TV windshield, big time scratches, glass will scratch glass Not good.

S/B was what I first tried on the filliform, dulled the finish and just didn't look good, not smooth and color off.

Will be trying an Eastwood Epoxy Aluminum paint this Spring, it should finish well with the 2000 grit wet/dry paper. I I like the sandpaper method, works better for finish I'm trying for.

Keep'ya Posted

Bob.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #722
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Well was at a Airstream dealer in TX getting a little repair job done on my trailer today and while it was being done I checked all the Airstream's on the lot for filiform. I may have found the first 2009 Flying Cloud that I've seen with the problem. It had what looked like it on 2 of the curved panels but it was very slight so far and I can't swear to it. There was another FC there that seemed to be clean. But a number of the other trailers had the problem including a 2008 Sport that had a large spot next to a rivert - on this trailer I couldn't find any on any of the curved panels. There was a 2005 Safari that they had just sold used that had lots on both front and rear curved panels and around some rivets. Wonder if they pointed it out to the buyer? So if that actually was filiform on the 2009 FC it means that Airstream hasn't solved the problem yet.
Hi
Did you ask the dealer about the filiform? I would have if I were there.
If you did what was their response?

So far on my 2008 27FB I only have it on the handles by the front door and the trim above the wheel well.

We have dealers (top ten dealers) on this forum....what are they saying to Airstream?

This is so frustrating.........

Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:31 PM   #723
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
East Nicolaus , California
It's ironic but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac View Post
I understand not using it for bugs, but corrosion? What makes this different than sandpaper? sand = glass
FYI
The grit in most common sandpaper is aluminum oxide, that same material that dulls our finish.
wppii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #724
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
This link has nice before and after pictures of an older airstream. Can you do this with a 2004+ model airstream infected with this filliform virus? I read a lot about rotten floors, rusted frames, etc. and the cost to fix/replace parts, but it seems rare that members are replacing panels for reasons other than dents. Has anyone with a 2004+ model year tried to strip off clearcoat and get a good shine on like this?

http://www.airforums.com/photos/brow...0&userid=16328
or is it even possible?
1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:27 AM   #725
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Simple question which may have been answered. If untreated will this corrosion eventually create holes? How long would this take? I have an 05 Bambi with the problem and if it will take 15 plus years to rust through then I can live with the cosmetics. jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:33 AM   #726
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wppii View Post
FYI
The grit in most common sandpaper is aluminum oxide, that same material that dulls our finish.

2000 grit+ and plenty of water, removes the the residue. The prep looks good. Looking for a suitable coating now.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #727
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I have used 400 grit wet/dry paper for finishing wood. It's readily available in hardware and big box stores (Lowe's, Home Depot), but have never seen 2,000. Maybe because I never looked for it. 400 is really fine grit, I can't imagine how fine 2,000 is and it must take a long, long time to remove anything with it. Doing an entire trailer might take so long you'd have to start replacing the frame by that time.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #728
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Me thinks at some point, I will have a date with these boys:

P & S Travel Trailer Service, Helena, Ohio

Thanks for the head up, mine is sitting in Ft.Collins, hopefully the drier climate will slow things down a bit. At least these guys are an alternative if on this side of the rockies, and the look has deteriorated to the point of shame. This will be really the last thing we can do for all on this forum is to have repair facilities close to home that can do the job correctly. I have the ability to take it anywhere, but most do not. Can you imagine say in 10 years all the unique looking streamers going down the road? Those that have been done poorly, or painted unique colors, and of course those big blotches just waiting for a 5-8k investment?? I cant tell you how many times people have asked me if our trailer is really old and asking if A/S still makes them. Now it will get really confusing, 30 year old rigs will look better than new ones!!
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #729
Rivet Master

Polishing out filiform corrosion takes longer than polishing out regular aluminum oxide. I would tend to think that it takes longer because it is a deeper form of corrosion. When I polish my trailer it gets a good even shine to it except where there is filiform. I find I have to go over it three or four times more than the rest of the trailer needs. I think that having the corrosion trapped beneath the finish allows it, or forces it to plow deeper into the aluminum surface than it would if left unprotected.
I understand that the newer trailers are made with a grade of aluminum that does shine up well, but maybe a little less shine than the old type aluminum. No doubt it would be much shinier than the stock milled finish. I heard this discussed on an early episode of The Vap, Probably the one on the worlds shiniest trailer.
I would love to see pics of one that's been polished. Anybody out there done that?
Lets see some shiny new trailer pics, please!

Good day, Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:32 AM   #730
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
=
I would love to see pics of one that's been polished. Anybody out there done that?

Good day, Rich
All About P&S Travel Trailer Service

Take a peek at the tri-axle in the picture. Not sure, but it very well could be a unit with the pre-treated Aloca finish and for sure the different alum than the vintage.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #731
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKING View Post
Polishing out filiform corrosion takes longer than polishing out regular aluminum oxide.

Good day, Rich

In process, it won't happen real soon but I'll post results. Need a couple of 5"x5" Samples of the current skin.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #732
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Oh my goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrylynne View Post
Well, thanks everybody for all the information. I thought I was the only one with this problem. Bates RV in Tampa told me this is not a warranty item...I find that hard to believe. If my 2006 Tundra were doing this, I can assure you Toyota would fix it! Love the Airstream...don't like the corrosion.
All the Best,
Sherry
I can't believe this is my first post on the Airstream forum.

Last month, my wife and I had finally decided that we would actually purchase our first RV. We'll soon have the house to ourselves; our son is graduating, and our retirement approaches. It seems like we've been dreaming about it for years, going from one RV show to another, one dealer to another, always putting it off because we didn't see just what we wanted - though I'll admit we didn't quite know what we wanted till we saw it. The Airstream Flying Cloud 25FB we saw on a NJ dealer's web sit is the one though. We were so excited that we were planning a trip up there from Virginia to see it in person!

Now, we're back to the drawing board. I've spent the better part of a day reading the 50+ pages of this thread. I just cannot imagine how awful I'd feel every time I looked at my new $50K+ Airstream and saw things like Sherry shows in her post (#658 and #659). Then, to hear that it's still happening in 2009's! Add to that the fact that the dealers and Airstream are walking away from helping you in an economy when they should be falling all over themselves to make you, their best ambassadors, insanely happy. It is just stunning.

Someone mentioned earlier, maybe they're walking away from you because they simply don't know how to fix the problem. That's just hard for me to believe though considering the kind of resources Alcoa, Airstream and Thor have. Somehow car manufactures can handle clearcoats. There has to be a scientific solution to this problem.

I believe Airstream, probably for financial reasons, has made a conscious decision to continue without fixing the problem with the hope that enough people will buy the "magic of Airstreaming" before finding out about the problem. In today's connected online environment, that is a huge risk to take. It's a risk that is even more pronounced in a tough economy for the RV industry.

I do want to thank you folks for the information. You have saved us from making a very costly mistake. From the other threads I've read, I can tell you all share a wonderful community and much joy in your Airstreams and your travels. I wish you all well and hope that someday, when this issue is solved, we too may join you. We will keep checking back because I still believe that there's just nothing like the Airstream.
VaVet96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #733
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
VaVet, consider an older one before this became a problem. Not all newer ones have corrosion, but I suppose it is a crap shoot.

Gene
Old 03-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #734
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
VaVet, consider an older one before this became a problem. Not all newer ones have corrosion, but I suppose it is a crap shoot.

Gene
Thank-you Gene. I'll do that. I've leaned toward buying new just because I'm not the handiest of people and I'm not really looking for a big rehab project. Got a "can do" attitude though and still learn pretty quickly. What's the latest model year or two you'd consider "safe"?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #735
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
VaVet, I haven't a clue. We bought new because I have so many projects going at home, I didn't want to do a trailer also. Of course, I just spent 3 1/2 hours securing vinyl tubing around the propane lines under the trailer, so there's always plenty to do.

If you are not handy, you will become so, or be spending a lot of money at an RV shop. The '90's had some nice trailers and they were lighter, so you wouldn't need as big a truck to tow it. I think the same can be said of the '80's. We like the blue stripes on the Excellas, but that's not a good enough reason to buy anything. Before the present clear coat came along in 1999, an earlier version peeled off in splotches on some trailers. You will see some trailers looking like skin peeling off a sunburn. Some have been stripped of the older clear coat, some not. Only if you go back a generation or so, will you find the shiny, uncoated aluminum. Then you'll have to polish it a lot, no fun in that to me.

Every one has a different level of what they want to do themselves. Every era of Airstream seems to have its problems. Look for one owned by an anal retentive person who has kept everything in great shape and replaced and modernized before anyone else, but can't travel anymore and will sell his or her beauty. You may have to look around for a while. Make sure to have it inspected (see the right side of the Forum page, or maybe it's the Portal page, for inspectors) because no one can see everything even if you're an expert.

We have towed 9,500 miles in 1 1/2 years and have no corrosion. Others buy a trailer off the lot and it already has corrosion. Some have them for several years and then it shows up. It may depend on what days it was made, the particular lot of clear coat, or aluminum, or how much salt has attacked, or dumb luck, or electrolysis, or something, or somethings. I was aware of this thread when we were looking at trailers and checked them for corrosion and found none. We decided to take a chance. So far, so good, but if I start seeing it, I'll sure be mad and looking for a solution.

I think once someone has aluminitis, it is hard to wait, so be careful. I was going to wait and check everything, but I succumbed very fast. If you have read so much already, you probably have the disease and it will manifest virulently once you get near an Airstream. There is no cure. It's like growing a second head after taking some prescription drug that wasn't tested enough—think of it as a companion for life even if it's a little funny looking; just accept it as a dear friend.

Gene
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM   #736
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Vavet.....Gene is right....it's a crap shoot. No way to tell until you own it, then it can be too late, or not. Some however might show it right on the dealer's lot.

My only suggestion would be to buy a newer pre-owned unit. Buy an 05, 06 or 07. Some depreciation is already gone, and if the issue comes up you won't have paid top dollar. With the $$ you'd save you could pay to have the shell redone down the road and maybe have some $$ leftover.

If however you have already signed the papers on the '09, I will keep my fingers and toes cross for you.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #737
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I have never seen a late model Airstream that does not have filliform corrosion. Perhaps there are some in dry country like CO or AZ.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:11 AM   #738
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hampton , Virginia
Thanks folks. Great ideas. I hadn't heard the term "aluminitis", Gene. Both my wife and I got a good laugh out of your description! She got it bigtime the first time we walked into an Airstream (a 30' Classic I think) at an RV show. Took me a little longer, but you're right, once you've got the bug, you're in for life!

I'm very hopeful that Airstream Inc. is addressing this and will solve the problem soon. Their products are such wonderful American icons, and there are too few of those left anymore. It's sad to see something like this cost them sales. Anyway, great forum. Thanks again.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:27 PM   #739
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Yep...best bet IMHO 2-5yr old 25-27ft.

Shop careful
Old 03-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #740
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
It seems to be arrested!

I've been watching and adding to this thread for some time. I have corrosion along the waist line of my 2006 Bambi. I also live just a few blocks from the ocean. What I have noticed in the last year or so is it doesn't seem to be spreading or getting worse where it already was present. What I have done is: I have q-tipped the waist line seam and rivets with Boeshield T-9 and I have waxed it three times in the last year with Turtle wax paste. (The waxing is a pain and would be worse if our trailer was a longer model). I think that I have probably sealed up the raw areas along the waist line. Before I started reading this thread I used to just wash and dry it. Maybe if I would have waxed it when it was brand new the corrision wouldn't have come at all, or not.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote