Old 08-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #505
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
...So, I wasn't supposed to write a letter?
writing a letter was and is a great idea, that's not the point.

the point is they HONORED the warranty (with some proding) and they are pretty good about doing JUST that.

BUT THIS THREAD isn't about a warranty issue.

it's about corrosion and surface defects which are EXPLICITLY listed in the legalese as NOT covered.

transport for repairs is also listed as NOT covered.

so my note just points out that you (or ne1 else) haven't cracked THIS EGG which is what folks are hoping for here.

the 10+ pages of stuff repaired or replaced on my unit isn't UNCOMMON, many folks have had punch lists like that.

and i didn't need to write letters or get another degree OR threaten legal action to get the work done,

but i did need to hound them some, like others who share their special hounding secrets.

also i would have NEVER considered the citrus law approach, because...

it's clear that this protection includes ALLOWING the manufacturer to fix things or make good...

and in almost every case they DO do just that.

and it clearly doesn't apply to the (a/s) corrosion issue either (so folks don't get sidetracked with lemon stuff)

i can provide examples where they have NOT made good on some BIG issues, and with some owners...

examples where they have shamefully and TOTALLY dropped the ball...

but that isn't the topic of this thread either.

corrosion is, and how to deal with it.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:48 PM   #506
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
...but...if no one complains, no changes would ever be made. So, my advice would be, to write letters, initiate legal procedures, take as much of their time as they are taking from you to fix it.....and let Airstream now that their Alcoa material is plain old junk, in the true meaning of the word. Perhaps one day they will find a coating that works. So far they have failed miserably at that......on your dime....

Old 08-26-2008, 09:11 AM   #507
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Regardless of the company's interpretation of the warranty, there can be other interpretations and application of other overriding legal principals (such as the law of adhesion contracts or language of the Uniform Commercial Code). Since I do not have filiform on the aluminum panels, I haven't parsed the words and would rather not have to, but there's often some rational and perhaps creative argument that can be made when necessary. I'm sure there's a law school somewhere, 2air, that has a few openings and would be glad to have a person of such maturity, creativity and intelligence as a student.

Gene
Old 08-26-2008, 05:45 PM   #508
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
This thread is specifically about the corrosion issue. If you all would like to talk shop on warranty issues outside of the corrosion issue, please take it off line or start a different thread or go into the QC threads per model year.

Again, this thread is about corrosion on newer Airstreams, those who have it, what they have exp with it, what the factory and/ordealers are doing or not doing about it, etc. IMHO, everything else is just a slight form of hijacking off the point of this thread. Let's please stick a bit closer to the topic and the spirit of this thread. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I've read the same overall comments put several different ways and no one is convincing anyone that there position is right, and I don't really care who is right, I just am looking for folks that have this, posting pics, providing their VINs, date of manufacture and what is going on with their attempts at resolving this problem. I'm not at all shy of a little distraction, but we're starting to loose sight of the threads purpose.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #509
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
You can add me to the list. 2005, so it's past the warranty. The majority of the corrosion is at the seams of the chrome tail light trims. Smaller amounts around a few of the rivets. Oddly, none of this showed up until after the warranty had expired.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #510
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglabrown View Post
You can add me to the list. 2005, so it's past the warranty. The majority of the corrosion is at the seams of the chrome tail light trims. Smaller amounts around a few of the rivets. Oddly, none of this showed up until after the warranty had expired.
Sorry to hear yet another example of what we're talking about here.

What is the month and year of manufacture? I know it's a 2005, but some 2005 are built as early as spring 2004. If you want to be added to the growing list, please PM me your VIN, address, phone (optional) and any pictures you care to either post here or PM me and I will add them to the list.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 09-07-2008, 02:21 PM   #511
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2009 23' International
Bainbridge Island , Washington
I will. This is in addition to the exploding rear window (no idea why) which cut short a lovely Oregon trip this past week. Ah well...
Old 09-07-2008, 02:51 PM   #512
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
Dreaded white spider veins

I just pruchased a 2005 25ft. Intl CCD in May2008. It had only been used once. I noticed the same veins around the tailights, door hinges, and most recently some corrosion on the exterior door skin.

Any suggestions other than clear nail polish??? Any thoughts on the cause?
Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #513
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbacksurfer View Post
I just pruchased a 2005 25ft. Intl CCD in May2008. It had only been used once. I noticed the same veins around the tailights, door hinges, and most recently some corrosion on the exterior door skin.

Any suggestions other than clear nail polish??? Any thoughts on the cause?
Yea, pray it doesn't get worse....

If you'd like to be added to the growing list of new or newer Airstreams with this issue, please PM me your name, address, phone (optional), VIN and month and year of manufacture. If you have pictures, please post them here or send them to me via a PM.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #514
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Alcoa claims new product 'eliminates filiform corrosion' on wheels

While there may be few things that can be done to effectively prevent our recently produced Airstreams from incurring filiform corrosion, especially if there has been exposure to various salts from air pollution, road or seaspray, there is some info from Alcoa on new products which may be available in future Airstreams.

This does not help my present filiform corrosion issue on my 2001 Bambi, but shows how Alcoa is addressing filiform corrosion with new products:
1. Claims of a coating which eliminates filiform corrosion.
2. New 6022 alloy.

I had noticed that Alcoa has been marketing a coating called "Durabrite" which is used in its architectural products line and as a coating on aluminum wheels. "Durabrite C" is the coating used for the architectural panels, and "Durabrite" is the coating name for the truck wheel line.

The coating claims to have a unique factory-applied bonding to the aluminum surface which minimizes delamination of an organic coating and reduces likelihood of corrosion.

Quoting one of the brochures from Alcoa: "It [Durabrite] completely eliminates the cracking, peeling and filiform corrosion common in coated wheels." http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/eur...March_2006.pdf Surprising to see that they claim it "completely eliminates... filiform corrosion." Quite a strong claim.

The "Durabrite C" coating is used on an aluminum-sandwich product called "Reynobond" two aluminum sheets bonded either side of a thermoplastic core, for a total thickness of 0.020 inches.

See: http://www.alcoa.com/aap/north_ameri...etal_Flyer.pdf

This product has a 'natural aluminum' finish and Alcoa provides a 10-year warranty in the architectural line.

The Alcoa specification sheet is available as a pdf on: http://www.alcoa.com/aap/north_ameri...edACMSpecs.pdf

I've downloaded copies if these links becomes unavailable.

The Durabrite fluoropolymer process appears to be documented in the patent claim #5290424, submitted by researchers working for Alcoa. See for descriptions and claims on the process of Method of making a shaped reflective aluminum strip, doubly-protected with oxide and fluoropolymer coatings - Patent 5290424

The Durabrite fluoropolymer coating on aluminum can be found in numerous citations going back at least to the early 1990s.

Finally, they discuss their new line of AL-6022 automotive aluminum sheet which claim, among other features, "...improved corrosion resistance, higher formability and greater strength for dent resistance..." http://www.alcoa.com/mill_products/c...Sheet_rev2.pdf This TechSheet was created in 2007.
mswartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #515
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
Glendale , California
I will send you the info, vin# need to find paperwork
Old 09-08-2008, 08:11 PM   #516
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
, Georgia
Angry I see it too.

I did a quick look (in the rain) and see the problem around the belt line and the grab handle. I have a 2005 Safari 28ft. vin number 1STJPYM265J517641
I do not know the month.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #517
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' Classic FB
West Of Boston , Massachusetts
2007 Safari SE LE I have spider lines too!

I have spider lines below rear window and on the tail lights.

I am very disappointed to say the least. I am still in warranty but I don't want to sand and put clear nail polish on my AS either.

Lin.

"It's Okay to have too much fun"

New England Unit WBCCI 8701
TheThreeSeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #518
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Any Warranty claims

It has been some time since I posted on this thread. Our 2006 Safari 25FB/SE has an extreme case of the corrosion, most significant area affected is the entire beltline. At first, Airstream Corporate took care of the accessory items that corroded, such as the tail light housings and license plate lamp, but later, they refused any additional warranty claim related to corrosion, with the exception of providing us beltline trim, similar to what comes on the classic, to cover the corrosion. I declined the offer believing it would only be a short term cosmetic fix up and possibly could lead to worse corrosion.

Just wondering if any Airstream owners with corrosion who are still under warranty are having their claims honored?

BTW, the corrosion on our Safari continues to grow at an alarming rate, those who have suggested it is only a cosmetic issue are dead wrong. I continue to wash and wax our AS as recommended by Airstream in our owner's manual. Based on the progress of the corrosion, I am estimating that there will be panel perforation within two years.