Old 05-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #169

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Looks like I have one very small spot just below the mid beltline trim on the street side. I forgot my camera so no picture. I'll have the trailer home next weekend so I can shoot the picture then. As midamrail noted another A/S stored at her location was built about 3 months after mine, and has serious problems in multiple locations all around the trailer including the beltline area. I'd be sick if that trailer was mine. In some cases the spots look much how rust pops the paint up on an auto finish.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 05:31 PM   #170
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Ottawa , Ontario
Holy Cow! Thirteen pages on corrosion!!
I thought my leaky leaky unit would be okay once they stopped up all the leaks! I have owned my Safari for 10 months, taken it out four times, had new leaks every rainfall...and now I have this to look forward to!!!
I bought an Airstream because of its reputation for quality...

Old 05-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #171
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
This is an eye awakening subject for me as I was thinking of selling my 77 Argosy and getting a 2001-2005 Airstream. In my opinion, the only thing that will stop the corrission is Corroson X. This process is used on aircraft and is approved by the FAA. It does stop corroson.

My wife and I were really looking forward to getting a newer Airstream but I am very concerned at this point.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #172
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
If I had a newer unit with this problem, I wouldn't be thinking about how I can address this issue I would get a class action suit going.

Each and everyone should write a letter to AS detailing their problems, I can see the lawyer asking the employees at AS did you ever or how many complaints did you recieve and how did you address them.

Someone should have a chat about this with a lawyer.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #173
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Class action suits give the victims something like a $10 coupon for a bottle of clear fingernail polish to dab on the corrosion spot, while providing the attorneys about $5,000,000 in fees!

Seriously, I'd just like to find a solution that stops growth of the current corrosion, prevents new occurances, and perhaps even reduces the ugliness of the existing worm-tracks a bit.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:37 PM   #174
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
For the corrision issue I would consider Corrosion X which is used on aircraft. It will stop corrison.

Now the corrison issue does cause me great concern because I have been thinking of upgrading to a late model Airstream. Currently I have a very nice 77 Argosy. Considering the price of Airstreams there should not be any issues. I don't know about trailers but when I look foran aircraft and I find a lot of corrision I just walk away.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:32 AM   #175
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
Exclamation I agree with most of Bob's direction - lets raise a ruckus!

"If I had a newer unit with this problem, I wouldn't be thinking about how I can address this issue I would get a class action suit going.

Each and everyone should write a letter to AS detailing their problems, I can see the lawyer asking the employees at AS did you ever or how many complaints did you recieve and how did you address them."

I agree that a class action will result in a lot of paperwork, legal fees, and a small bottle of nail polish. However, the concept of every single new trailer owner sending a letter (not an email) with enclosed polaroids highlighting both the corrosion and leak issues (they both stem from poor QC and assembly procedures) might just wake up someone at AS to fire the line manager in charge of QC and implement some real changes.

I know the on-line cynics will poo poo this idea as a waste of time and the technical folks will keep suggesting different repair goop you can buy to self-mend but we are talking $40k+ recent purchases based on $$ efforts by industry giant Thor to market these trailers as the "rolls royce" of the RV world. I say again - Wally would not be happy with the poor quality rolling off his line.

Multiple trips to the dealership shortly after purchase and having to camp out in the parking lot to run a full systems test and personal QC (in lieu of this happening at the factory) when making such a large purchase is absolutely stupid and a waste of mosts valuable time. If you had to go through this process when buying even a $10k Kia, they would not sell a single car.

My AS dealership sales guy is a nice enough kid and the dealership is clean and well run - I do not however want to spend the rest of my life camped out in their lot waiting on repairs that should never have left the factory.

Lets pick a point of contact at both AS and parent Thor and get their names, title, and mailing addressses posted. Once that is accomplished, lets all agree to send a polite but firm letter with polaroids of every corrosion and leak issue along with copies of leak etc repair bills. We should also agree on the exact text of the cover letter subject line for consistency.

It is amazing what can be accomplished if you raise a ruckus! I have not even taken delivery of my new trailer but I am expecting these problems and will write my letter in advance.

In the City of Chicago if you want something fixed you have to document the problem and send it to your local alderman and the mayor's office. You then make a follow up call to both offices and watch the sparks fly. We all assume the Mayor is aware of neighborhood problems etc until you mail him pictures and then you realize he was not being kept informed from below (hmmm could it be CYA and job protection driven???).

Lets do the same here!
Old 05-23-2007, 09:19 AM   #176
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla2Go[b
Lets pick a point of contact at both AS and parent Thor and get their names, title, and mailing addressses posted. Once that is accomplished, lets all agree to send a polite but firm letter with polaroids of every corrosion and leak issue along with copies of leak etc repair bills. We should also agree on the exact text of the cover letter subject line for consistency.[/b]
That point of contact needs to be in the Quality Control department, Production, or Corporate Management. The service and tech support people are good guys, very helpful, and are working hard to fix the problems.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #177
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Repair Plans Set

This is a follow-up to my posts (38, 49, 122, and 135) on this thread, concerning the filliform corrosion on the rear beltline of my 2007 Safari, still under warranty. This corrosion is on the beltline edge of the rear end cap. See the picture in this post: http://www.airforums.com/forums/344413-post15.html

Plans are set, supplies are on the way and the treatment is about to begin. BTW: I’ve been working with two great guys at Airstream, Randy in Technical Support and Chris in Customer Service.

Airstream is sending me some ACF50, which I should receive early next week. The instructions are to scrape away any raised areas with nothing more than a credit card like plastic scraper, then apply the ACF50 with a Q-tip to the affected areas. “This should darken it, and seal it up to prevent further corrosion.” I’ll post some before and after pictures here when I get this done.

On October 1st we have an appointment at the factory service center in Jackson Center. We had been planning a three-week excursion around New England to see the fall color, so this is a re-route. We’ll now see the Airstream factory, then loop up through western Michigan for the color tour before heading back to Florida. More on these plans in another thread later.

At the factory, Airstream is going to install the Classic beltline trim to cover over the damaged areas. From what we have heard from 2air and others, this should look very nice. We’re planning on taking advantage of being at the mother ship and have them address the other minor warranty issues discussed on this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396/new-trailer-problems-fixes-29179.html, give the trailer a check-up to include any annual maintenance items like wheel bearing servicing, and have a second Fantastic Fan installed in the bedroom area.

So far, I’m very happy with the way this is turning out for us, and we’re looking forward to the trip and factory visit.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:04 AM   #178
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Camarillo , California
filiform

Add me to the list-I believe my CCD had corrosion on the tail lights the day I bought it. Hey I was so excited to get our first trailer it didn't register as a potential problem. Wheels and other areas show minimal filifor. I was wondering about all the 18 wheel Gas hauling trucks wit the mirror finish aluminum tanks -has anyone inspected them for filiform and what clear coat finish is used?
Old 05-27-2007, 03:44 PM   #179
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
When I bought my used (10 year old Excella) trailer I had a slight hesitation since it was painted. By the dealership when new by the way, but now that it is 13 years old and still not showing any filiform corrosion I have really grown to like the fact that it is painted. If I do get any corrosion it is hidden by the paint and won't show until the paint peels. Eric started this thread and he knows my trailer. He couldn't believe it was painted when he first saw it.
I wonder if you have any chance with legal action if the corrosion starts after the warrantee period is over?
Therefore it seems to me that all issues need to be documented and verified as they occur.
Good luck!
Al
Old 05-28-2007, 09:12 PM   #180
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Root
Add me to the list-I believe my CCD had corrosion on the tail lights the day I bought it. Hey I was so excited to get our first trailer it didn't register as a potential problem. Wheels and other areas show minimal filifor. I was wondering about all the 18 wheel Gas hauling trucks wit the mirror finish aluminum tanks -has anyone inspected them for filiform and what clear coat finish is used?
I believe those trucks are made of stainless steel, not aluminum.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgodfrey

...snip...

Airstream is sending me some ACF50, which I should receive early next week. The instructions are to scrape away any raised areas with nothing more than a credit card like plastic scraper, then apply the ACF50 with a Q-tip to the affected areas. “This should darken it, and seal it up to prevent further corrosion.” I’ll post some before and after pictures here when I get this done.

...snip...

At the factory, Airstream is going to install the Classic beltline trim to cover over the damaged areas.

...snip

Randy
Sorry to bring bad news, but ACF-50 is a very temporary solution, if it helps at all. It's a spray-on oily substance, a bit more durable than WD-40. I have had marginal luck with it on aircraft (it's intended use), and have been using it on my trailer, where it does not work well on the filiform corrosion. To work it needs to get under the clear at the head-end (far reaches of the worm-tracks) of the filiform.

Finally, the belt-line trim will cover up the mess for a while, until the filiform grows out from underneath. Which will be some time after your warranty has expired.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:29 PM   #182
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
a tale of two wheels

On top of the worms on the trailer skin, my wheels have a bad case of filiform. So after reading the wheel comments, I went out with a magnet and my F250 has non ferrous wheels, I assume they are AL. And they have three times the miles on them, exposed to all the winter nasties you can imagine while the trailer sat at home. And no, I'm not one of these fanatics who washes his truck every weekend, if it's lucky maybe 4 times a year. The AS gets much better treatment and is much worse for the wear. Will post a set of side by side photos tomorrow when the sun is out. Pardon the pun, but the difference is like night and day

« The 23D thread | Top | - »