Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #2321
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
I look at the trailer as an unfinished product by AS. If they would just coat what they cut and punch the filiform issue would be minimized. The fact that there is not more filiform indicates that Alcoa does a good job coating it so that the cutting by AS does not always expose enough of the coating/metal interface to the atmosphere. AS is in a better position to repair their man-made defect at the factory than we are after assembly.

AS response to corrosion formation is that it is a natural process is missing the point here. In this case, filiform occurs on those locations that are a man-made defect.

I also would like to see test data showing that coatings like corrosionX do not damage that exposed interface; yes it prevents corrosion on the AL but does it have side effects?
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:55 PM   #2322
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have been using CorrosionX and Boeshield T9 for nearly five years, several times a year, and we have no corrosion and no damage to the Alcoa coating or Airstream sealants.

They could touch up the cut panel edges but don't, so thats the way it is. We took an hour and carefully run several coats of clear acrylic touch-up felt pen on them.

We wash our Airstream when needed, and touch up any new nicks and scratches, wax it, treat the shell panel edges, rivets, underbody steel with corrosion preventive products a few times a year. Just part of a preventive maintenance program that includes inspection of exterior and interior, moisture test the plywood subfloor, and check systems operation a few times a year. Fix anything that's broken or loose. Easy to do if you stay ahead of it. A little more difficult if you don't, but everything on these things is repairable and worth the effort.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:38 AM   #2323
3 Rivet Member

How do you know the coating/metal interface is not impacted?
Old 05-15-2016, 08:06 AM   #2324
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We applied CorrosionX on our body shell and Boeshield T9 to the underbody steel of our new Airstream the day we brought it home. The panel edges look like new and there is no corrosion on our Airstream going on five years. No technical data here but the proof is in the pudding.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #2325
3 Rivet Member

I apply the coatings to the frame and underbody too and it has been working. I looked at the spare tire the other day and noticed that the rim was not looking good so I will clean it and add it to the regular treatment. But that exposed interface concerns me. I am not sure how these after market treatments impact the surface bonding. I know the process used by Alcoa is pretty good as I looked for filiform formation on a number of test plates I cut and was impressed that it was not that pronounced. But I have not tested for delamination due to treatments; too much work doing what AS should do.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #2326
2 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Corrosion X Info

NOte that Corrosion X is sticky and will attract dirt. I sprayed my 28' FC in many locations before driving from Melbourne Beach, FL to Las Vegas and when I looked at sprayed areas when I arrived the dirt was awful. Grime that was very hard to remove and made a brutal mess. The AS looked like it just came out of a mud pit. Recommend you do not apply before going on a trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
An update - I'm now at 2.5 years of ownership of my 2014 bunkhouse - no filliform on my skin anywhere - I think the door handle has a bit of it I think

I've done now 2 applications of the corrosion X spray to all seams and such - die for repeat this summer and I do it yearly not quarterly so far

Monthly washing - yearly application of griots paint sealant (a synthetic wax) and monthly spray on wax and dry after wash..

I go to the beach multiple times per year but live 4 hours from saltwater - always wash trailer thorough upon beach return.

So far so good thankfully
Kingsmen 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:20 PM   #2327
Rivet Master

2012 30' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We applied CorrosionX on our body shell and Boeshield T9 to the underbody steel of our new Airstream the day we brought it home. The panel edges look like new and there is no corrosion on our Airstream going on five years. No technical data here but the proof is in the pudding.

I've been meaning to post: I used Boeshield T9 on my wheels (rims) early 2013 when they first showed filiform spots. I sprayed it on thickly, let dry overnight and then removed the wax with a clean dry rag the next day. I've only washed the wheels along with the trailer since and there has not been another spot show up anywhere. I can tell the thin film of wax is still there by feel and the way water still beads. The T9 lasting power is impressive.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Howard L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #2328
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsmen 33 View Post
NOte that Corrosion X is sticky and will attract dirt. .
Hmmm... That hasn't been my experience. I've wiped prone areas and edges with it for years and haven't noticed that. Maybe you are leaving more of it on than I am. What I do has worked for me: spray the area and wipe it down. Seems pretty dry after an easy wipe.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #2329
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Same here - no big issues with dirt

Actually - even in an extreme example - my first application was liberal and I wiped excess - then did a light wash...then went to can opener rally Jan 2014 - and my rig was bleeding that stuff at the seams - well not that noticeable really but yeah

Got home and it washed off fairly easy as I recall

I can however imagine that if conditions were difference it could make even more mess with dirt + that excess

Since then I am very light on my application - very little excess as such - then next day I wash it all off lightly no prob

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:10 PM   #2330
3 Rivet Member

After you clean off the excess cX or Bs do you then do a normal waxing of the trailer?
Old 05-17-2016, 09:26 PM   #2331
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
After I apply X, I wash and I can wax if I want. I've not had a problem with dirt sticking to the X.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #2332
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It doesn't take much CorrosionX, a Q-Tip applies plenty to the panel rivets and panel edges, and spray some on a rag for the larger accessories. Let it soak awhile as you move on, then go back and wipe it up.

Old 05-19-2016, 02:20 PM   #2333
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
This may have been said - but I just noticed airstream website sells the X and T9 lol

Old 05-19-2016, 04:01 PM   #2334
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
...and clear lacquer pens.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 06:21 PM   #2335
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
I am pretty irritated about the filiform corrosion on my 2010 International. Its everywhere.

Just covering it up with paint wont stop the corrosion and at some point there will be perforations. Imagine the effect on your used selling price?

That's what I am trying to quantify because if that "discount" is a real factor in resale situations, then something has to be done.

To me, that means suing the dealer and AS in Small Claims Court ( up to 50,000$) for damages representing the "discount" due to filiform corrosion.

To my mind, there is a good argument that AS has known about this issue for a long time and has done nothing about it, continuing to sell units knowing that the aluminu was flawed.. That is negligence
So, going back to where I started, has anyone experienced reluctance or difficulty on a resale due to corrosion ?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2016, 10:24 PM   #2336
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
at some point there will be perforations.
There is very little likelihood that filiform corrosion will lead to perforation.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #2337
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
I am pretty irritated about the filiform corrosion on my 2010 International. Its everywhere.

Just covering it up with paint wont stop the corrosion and at some point there will be perforations. Imagine the effect on your used selling price?

That's what I am trying to quantify because if that "discount" is a real factor in resale situations, then something has to be done.

To me, that means suing the dealer and AS in Small Claims Court ( up to 50,000$) for damages representing the "discount" due to filiform corrosion.

To my mind, there is a good argument that AS has known about this issue for a long time and has done nothing about it, continuing to sell units knowing that the aluminu was flawed.. That is negligence
So, going back to where I started, has anyone experienced reluctance or difficulty on a resale due to corrosion ?

Thanks!
Filiform is cosmetic only. Not an issue with many owners.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #2338
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Houston , Texas
Filiform Frustration

I completely understand your frustration with the filiform corrosion. My 2008 International had belt line as well as other corrosion. As long as Airstream cuts and drills the aluminum panels in the factory and breaks the protective barriers, then drags the aluminum sheets by hand across the floor, there will be filiform corrosion. I too have thought of a lawsuit but was able to get some satisfaction in an easier way.

In 2012 I took my 4 year old airstream to the factory and pleaded my case. On the phone Airstream said from day one that they did not warranty against corrosion. My Airstream had it since the day I bought it new from the dealer. The factory probably will not tell you this on the phone, but this is what they did for me. They said to bring my AS to Jackson Center and they would "see" what could be done. What they did was to "treat" the filiform and to place a belt line strip around the AS. They also replaced the plinth tail lights and door handle and running light plinths. All material was comped and I only had to pay for the labor. It was about 3 hours. I know it costs a lot to drag your AS to the factory and the belt line strip only "hides" the filiform, but after 4 more years the filiform has not grown out from under the belt line and the rig looks so much better. This is not a perfect solution but will cover the worst of the filiform on the belt line. I still keep my corrosion X, 2000 grit sand paper, plastic scraper and clear fingernail polish handy to tackle small filiform around lights or rock chips and have put on several seminars for other Airstreamers on how to address Filiform.

I did try to talk to Airstream's engineers about the Filiform and the dragging of sheets of aluminum across the floor. They basically denied knowledge of the problem. This was disappointing and I assume legal council advised them from talking to owners about the corrosion for fears of lawsuits.

I realize my experience may not work for everyone but my Airstream looks so much better and I believe it will be easier to sell now that the major part of the corrosion is covered. Besides, it was fun to see the factory. Hope this information helps and you can believe there are many of us that feel your pain.
GregU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #2339
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Allen , Texas
Question Aluminum everything.......

I have seen and dealt with the filliform on my 2008 25' Safari for a few years now. Some one hear on this forum may have asked this before, but I have yet to hear an acceptable answer.
The question I am referring to are aluminum fishing boats of all shapes and sizes. Aluminum parts on and in pieces of equipment we see and touch everyday. So what is it that makes these panels on our AS's to start corroding in such a horrific manner?
Am I just out of contact with the real world? Or is there a problem? Or have I missed the Big picture!
Any answers are welcome.
David Logue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #2340
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
My aluminum bass boat has no clear coat - this no filiform is possible.

That is my understanding.