Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
CHEAP Airstream/Argosy wanted in Michigan

Well, my very nice Airstream just went down the road with a new happy owner and now we need something to gut and fix. I am looking for something that is under $1000 if possible and is in Michigan. The year does not matter, though I prefer the 60's but I am not too picky, and model, length, or whether it is an Airstream or the Argosy version does not matter either. Price and location matters. It would be nice if it did not need TONS of work, but we are willing to do tons of work if the price is right. For the curious, we have 8 children, so if we gut it we could make it sleep our crew! Thanks so much!
Old 01-06-2004, 12:57 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
8 kids! What you need is a good size airstream with about 4 Bambis towed along behind like a train

Good luck finding your perfect AS to remodel! Sounds like a fun project...

Old 01-06-2004, 01:26 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
froggies, have you seen the gutted '64 Overlander that 71tradewind was offering for $800 in the Detroit area?
It may be sold by now, but here's a link:
STRIPPED-OUT

Rog
Old 01-06-2004, 04:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Thank-you Rog, yes, I did see that and tried to email Tradewind71 but it got returned, I tried again, so now I am hoping they will see it on here and get back to me.

We get lots of Bambi jokes when we go to rallies...sigh... I don't really mind, we sorta stick out as not your normal Airstreamers....

We are no strangers to renovation, we gutted a 71 Safari right to dropping the whole belly pan and taking up the sub floor...what a project! Then I got the Argosy...then an Excella...on to the next project! I want to do one that I can make with bunks everywhere now....
Old 01-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Don't hold your breath - I contacted him about it when the thread first started, and a month or so later he got back to me with some details, so I asked him for contact info so I could look into it further, and I haven't heard from him again. I don't know if he comes by the forum very often. I'm also looking for a 24-26ft trailer to gut and remodel, but I have the little AS to use in the meantime so we're not in any rush to find the right project.

That's cool that you've done this sort of thing before. You know that 64 overlander belonged to his unit. Maybe you could contact the units in his area and get a hold of someone who knows about it?

Old 01-06-2004, 06:52 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Steph, I will try to contact the other Michigan units.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:47 PM   #7
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Yo Stephanie

The site below has some fixer-uppers and is in your neck of the woods. Maybe worth a peek.
http://www.vintagetrailersplus.com/

Rog
Old 01-06-2004, 11:14 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Yeah, he's got some really tempting stuff, and some really scary stuff I think when the weather gets nice again we might have to go visit him and take a look at a couple of those first hand. He recently sold a gutted flying cloud on ebay I was tempted to go look at, but with everything else going on this time of year my hubby would have killed me! Those of us with obsessive hobbies know timing is everything!

Old 01-09-2004, 04:58 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
thanks again for the info, did look very interesting! My computer is not working well the last couple days, in case I don't respond right away, you will know what happened! Thanks again!
Old 01-27-2004, 02:33 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
bought one!

Thanks for all the help, I managed to get ahold of the man in charge of the one in Michigan owned by their club and bought it so I am all set!!!!!