Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2004, 02:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

'65 Caravel for Sale

This trailer was advertised in our local newspaper. I have seen it and would definately buy it myself if I had the cash. I have no business intrest in it at all. Just wanted to pass it on to you all. It's very nice!! Looks like someone kept it in a garage or something. One small dent, newer Dometic fridge, newer toilet, perfect Zolatone interior, zero rust, intact belly pan, very cute jalousie windows in the door, Worthington tanks, all systems work. The only thing wrong with this little cutie is that someone attached some sort of tool box looking thing where the rear bumper was. Looks like a very recent modification that could be sawed right off. Then you would only need a bumper.
I took a few pics I could post tonight if anyone is interested. He is asking $7500. I would offer less but not much. It's probably worth what he's asking. In the New Orleans area.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
75 thousand, huh? Maybe a tad high - but certainly worth it if it's in the shape you say. Works out to roughly $4600 per linear foot.

Just teasing. Seriously though, sounds like a rare find!
Old 08-09-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sounds to me that $7500 would be fair though

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 08-09-2004, 07:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Typo guys! Sorry I was at work and really busy!

Heidi
Old 08-09-2004, 07:35 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Please post photos or e-mail to me.

Thanks,
Old 08-09-2004, 08:00 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

This really is a nice little trailer. Hope it goes to a good home!!

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeENHLZuzZtXhg
Old 08-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Holy crud, Heidi! It's gorgeous! I can't believe what great shape it's in, and it looks like it's never been restored - but rather appears like it was put in cold storage for 35 years.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:31 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Heidi;
I'm also interested and would like to see photos. Please e-mail me.
Thank you.
Ernie
Old 08-09-2004, 10:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
Holy crud, Heidi! It's gorgeous! I can't believe what great shape it's in, and it looks like it's never been restored - but rather appears like it was put in cold storage for 35 years.
OK, that's the best laugh I've had today, Brad. I absolutely agree. Heidi, buy it! We can fight over it later; I can't find my checkbook.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlanco
Heidi;
I'm also interested and would like to see photos. Please e-mail me.
Thank you.
Ernie
Ernie-The link to the photos is in my post #6.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:18 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

65 Caravel Opinions ?

Hello All,

I am very interested in this trailer. Any advise on the condition, originality, price etc. I think it could sell quick. I would be buying sight un seen. I talked with the owner and he's only had it for 5 months, so he's not certain of whats original or not. Does have newer fridge. Anyway, any opinions ?

Thanks, Jesse
Old 08-10-2004, 11:14 AM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I was wondering about the wood partitions, which seem to be done in a panelling, as opposed to the solid plywood. I'm not saying it's bad, it looks good to me, I just wonder if that's original. I've never seen an airstream with that.

Otherwise it looks nicer than mine in some ways. I'm jealous!

Old 08-10-2004, 08:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Jesse, it probably needs a new axle but most of 'em do, and you can expect to do some cosmetic stuff to brighten & take it to its potential.

On the plus side, it's clearly been well cared for, and that bodes well for the frame & floor, which would be your other big concerns.

Are you familiar with this comparison of condition & value?

Price vs condition
Old 08-10-2004, 09:39 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Condition vs Price etc.

Yes, I carry a printed sheet of it in my van. It's great for a quick model year check as well.

It seems a bit on the high end as it is. I only base that on the things turning up non original ? Bumper, paneling, fridge etc. And I wonder what else.....The owner claims to know of nothing non original on it but he's only owned it for 5 months.

It is a beautiful trailer, but I'm leaning towards one maybe a little more original, even if it's in greater need of TLC. I also would have about 6 days travel time and $800 to pick it up. So if the price were lower I'd proubly jump on it.

I'll know when the right trailer hits me....

Take care, Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
Jesse, it probably needs a new axle but most of 'em do, and you can expect to do some cosmetic stuff to brighten & take it to its potential.

On the plus side, it's clearly been well cared for, and that bodes well for the frame & floor, which would be your other big concerns.

Are you familiar with this comparison of condition & value?

Price vs condition
Old 08-10-2004, 10:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
If the floors Ok and everthing works the price is fair, especially if you don't want to spend a year and a couple thousand dollars looking. Nice wheels but 40 years to young. A new axel? and you are ready to roll, if everything works. Compared to my 68 the tongue looks very good. May have been worked with filler or just well maintained. The shower looks in good shape, pretty shiney for the years. But you have to go look to know for sure or take your chances. If the axel is bad and it has been setting you could tear the thing a part in a few trips.
I love my new axels, best thing I did...
Old 08-16-2004, 12:56 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Smile our new pride 'n joy

Just wanted to thank Heidi and say we brought our "new" Airstream home. I hope this was the first of many on the road adventures. We drove from upstate New York to Roanoke Va. to meet the gentleman from La. with the 65 Caravel. It was in wonderful condition and we are *so* happy!

I look forward to learning more from the forum.

Ann
Old 08-16-2004, 01:23 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Welcome, Ann! So glad to have another small vintage trailer aboard. Please post about your plans & take lots of pix for us .....
Old 08-16-2004, 02:26 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Villa Ridge , Missouri
Beware the axle...

Ann,

Congratulations on the Caravel! The 1965 Caravels, particularly those with the jalousy windows in the door, are among my favorite trailers. It looks as though you got a good one.

I might offer a word of caution regarding the axle. Within just our relatively small circle of vintage Airstream friends, I know of three who have suffered broken axles on their 1965 Caravels. All are beautiful trailers that are used regularly, and the axles broke in scenarios ranging from driving at highway speeds on a smooth road to crossing a cattle guard-type grate at 3 MPH. It seems that some if not all axles on the Caravels from that period were either insufficient for the load or made with inferior spindle material or both.

If your new trailer has the original axle, you might want to consider replacing it at some point just to be on the safe side. Best of luck and congrats on the trailer!
Old 08-16-2004, 04:39 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Great... Come to the NE Forum rally in Jamaica State Park Vermont and we'll all make welcoming sound to you and your trailer. If they are full let me know as I have an extra site reserved for just such a surprise. See the NE Forum Rally under... Rally.....Forum.... The camp has shower ect and no electric so doesn't really matter what works, expect your battery for lights.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up

Ann ....welcome from the owner of a 65 caravel....mine looks very similar to yours
This is my first trailer and i have learned so much from the wonderful and
well informed folks here ...I really dont know mush but if i can help answer
any questions i'll try.... I am in the middle of replacing my axle as a precaution
take a look at RJs site ..the best info on 65s around ...best of luck to you withn your beautiful Caravel

Tags
caravel