Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Tradewind > 1959-69 Tradewind
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2022, 01:33 PM   #201
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Here's a picture of my back window. These Hehr windows have a number stamped in the stationary frame and its in two parts. The first is the style of window and the second indicated the size of the opening the window frame fits. I'm sure this was for the factory workers assembling the trailer. All of mine are the same style and size, IIRC they're 1940? Not totally sure.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3364.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	422252  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:24 PM   #202
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Lockhart , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
1959TW, when time allows, you may consider starting a renovation thread on your TW. I’d like to follow along. Good luck
Thank you! Yes, we're hoping to get that renovation thread going. Looking through yours now. Amazing work!
1959TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 06:29 PM   #203
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Lockhart , Texas
I'll have to take a closer look to see if we can find any numbers on the windows. Thank you for the picture, Brad!

Made me realize I forgot to include this picture in my original thread. This was the interior before we gutted it. Not much to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5863.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	422275  
Old 09-13-2022, 05:18 PM   #204
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
You're right, not much there. Have you figured out the factory bed arrangement? I'm thinking twins since there isn't a small rectangular window across from where the double bed would be and where the two wardrobe cabinets would have been.

Judging by the aluminum extrusion below the front window which would have held a thin plywood shelf, your front had a couch and not a dinette.

If you're interested, I have the missing ceiling light fixture and glass shade where that big hole is in your ceiling.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 01:47 PM   #205
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Lockhart , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfshr View Post
You're right, not much there. Have you figured out the factory bed arrangement? I'm thinking twins since there isn't a small rectangular window across from where the double bed would be and where the two wardrobe cabinets would have been.

Judging by the aluminum extrusion below the front window which would have held a thin plywood shelf, your front had a couch and not a dinette.

If you're interested, I have the missing ceiling light fixture and glass shade where that big hole is in your ceiling.

Brad
FF
I'm fairly certain it was a twin bed setup based on what you've said. I think ours had the exact floor plan that I've seen on the 1959 Tradewind manual/pamphlet on the Airstream website since all of our windows match that, too. I'm so surprised by all the variations in the models made in California!

I think it was in this thread that I had read all the Ohio TW had a couch in the front. It might be foolish of us to change the original design but we're thinking front dinette that converts to couch, mid bath, and back bedroom, mostly because we don't want to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom.

Thanks for the offer of the light! I think we actually found it in the trailer along with some of the other original light fixtures. Hopefully we can get them working!
Old 09-14-2022, 05:58 PM   #206
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1959TW View Post
I'm fairly certain it was a twin bed setup based on what you've said. I think ours had the exact floor plan that I've seen on the 1959 Tradewind manual/pamphlet on the Airstream website since all of our windows match that, too. I'm so surprised by all the variations in the models made in California!

I think it was in this thread that I had read all the Ohio TW had a couch in the front. It might be foolish of us to change the original design but we're thinking front dinette that converts to couch, mid bath, and back bedroom, mostly because we don't want to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom.

Thanks for the offer of the light! I think we actually found it in the trailer along with some of the other original light fixtures. Hopefully we can get them working!
1959TW

Welcome to the Tradewind registry. We are 4 units prior to yours I believe. 249064. I have a picture of ours I found here on this thread from an owner prior to us. We had acquired in a gutted state. Also probably the same pamphlet you referenced. Ours did seem to match. We are in the middle of a full resto mod ourselves. And after much discussion at home pretty much the layout you are describing. Keep us posted on your progress. Eager to follow along.
Tradewind59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 06:00 PM   #207
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind59 View Post
1959TW

Welcome to the Tradewind registry. We are 4 units prior to yours I believe. 249064. I have a picture of ours I found here on this thread from an owner prior to us. We had acquired in a gutted state. Also probably the same pamphlet you referenced. Ours did seem to match. We are in the middle of a full resto mod ourselves. And after much discussion at home pretty much the layout you are describing. Keep us posted on your progress. Eager to follow along.
Forgot to attach my pictures. Long dayClick image for larger version

Name:	1959-travel-trailer-24-trade-wind-130.pdf.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	422497Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	422498
Old 09-15-2022, 12:13 PM   #208
1 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Lockhart , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewind59 View Post
Forgot to attach my pictures. Long dayAttachment 422497Attachment 422498
That's so cool that you were able to find your trailer in a previous post here! Thanks for sharing that picture. I'm certain that's the same layout as ours because we were able to collect those light fixtures from a pile of trash laying next to the trailer. Some day I'll try to see if we can make them work again.

I've seen your resto mod thread and have read the first few posts but haven't gotten a chance to fully catch up. We're also hoping to start a thread of our own soon!
Old 09-16-2022, 04:44 AM   #209
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
McCullom Lake , Illinois
Yea when we saw the serial number we were pretty amazed. Keep and label everything. If you start a thread I and many others will follow along. There are a ton of super helpful people on here. And unlike me they actually know what they are doing. Just remember it's a marathon not a sprint. One bite at a time. Keep us posted.

Tags
early tradewind, tradewind