Old 05-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Flat Screen TV

I was at Wal-Mart this evening and was looking at some coaxial cable for when I go out on my first trip this season. My eye caught this little LCD TV. These are the newest units that Wal-Mart carries, and at $198.00 they are selling like hot cakes. This unit is HD ready (If I had HD programming), has VGA, S-Video, and component hookups with it. We were wanting to eventually mount an LCD on a wal with swivel to see it in front and back, but looks like it just happened.

I know there are threads on wall brackets, but I am more interested in good units that are not $90.00. Anyone got a line on one of those?

Also picked up a new torque wrench that is rated to 150 foor pounds, ordered a BAL leveling jack/chock, purchased 2 other plastic chocks for the other trailer wheel, and a 4,000 bottle jack.

Since I am new to RVing, what kind of hoses for the sewer do I need? I see alot about bayonet fittnings, etc but for a beginner what would be the best kit to have?

Steve

Steve

Old 05-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Plumbing exit, and an AC issue

After speaking with Muddy_Hollow about an AC mounted over my rear vent, I am unsure. Here are some pics he provided from his 1956 Caravanner. Structurally it looks as if there isn't enough support, and I do not want to take chances with this baby!

Also in this post are some pictures of the plumbing systems and rear bumper storage. The black tank empties out the curbside wheelwell, and the grey exits out the streetside just past the water heater. The grey water exit is PVC so I will need to get some kind of fitting to hook up a sewer hose. Anyone have an idea on that?

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caravan1.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	37042   Click image for larger version

Name:	caravan2.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	37043  

Name:	caravan4.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	37044   Click image for larger version

Name:	caravan5.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	37045  

Name:	blackdump.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	37046   Click image for larger version

Name:	SSStorage.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	37047  

Name:	greywater exit.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	37048   Click image for larger version

Name:	dump1.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	37049  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Untitled_7.pdf (167.9 KB, 103 views)

Old 05-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Steve, I've seen threads in the past regarding A/C in pre-1963 rigs. Extra structural support should be added, but you'll have to search regarding those details. I know other's have done it.

Don't know what to tell you about the PVC graywater exit. If it was me, I'd have to go the trial and error route. You would find me in the PVC aisle of Home Depot with a Valtera fitting scratching my head and trying to match up sizes with PVC. Just like Tinker Toys, right?

Aluminocentricity
Sugarfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:59 PM   #60
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
For the plumbing go to RV Products & Accessories and see what fittings they have that will adapt to your pipe. You need 3" bayonet fitting to take a standard sewer hose. After you find the part number most any RV place is likey to have it or can order it.

Do you have a black tank with a valve and sewer connection? If so the grey tank plumbing should have been routed to a valve under the black tank valve and terminate at the same hose fitting. That is since this was such an extensive rebuild.

On the A/C you'll just have to check your specific trailer and add the structual support neccessary. To bad it was not done during the rebuild.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Whoo..augh....whoo..augh...
Old 05-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
For the plumbing go to RV Products & Accessories and see what fittings they have that will adapt to your pipe. You need 3" bayonet fitting to take a standard sewer hose. After you find the part number most any RV place is likey to have it or can order it.

Do you have a black tank with a valve and sewer connection? If so the grey tank plumbing should have been routed to a valve under the black tank valve and terminate at the same hose fitting. That is since this was such an extensive rebuild.

On the A/C you'll just have to check your specific trailer and add the structual support neccessary. To bad it was not done during the rebuild.
Tim,

I agree with you that a grey tank would have easily been added during the extensive rebuild process, but alas it was not. The grey water empties out a completely different spot than the black tank (Which has a valve and sewer connection).

Call me a newbie, but I have heard the term bayonet fitting alot, but the only bayonette I know of is fitted on my rifle. As long as that black fitting on my hose fits the valterra tank fitting I will be pleased. I will likely buy a coupler as well since an 8' hose won't be long enough.

Fot the grey termination the PO is giving me a big blue boy tote. I plan on just having a long hose hooked up to the grey tank at a full hook up and only plan to hook the black tank up for dumping when it is time to leave the camp site (Especially with a 20 Gallon Black tank).

Steve
Old 05-07-2007, 10:54 PM   #63
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Tim,
I agree with you that a grey tank would have easily been added during the extensive rebuild process, but alas it was not. The grey water empties out a completely different spot than the black tank (Which has a valve and sewer connection).

Fot the grey termination the PO is giving me a big blue boy tote. I plan on just having a long hose hooked up to the grey tank at a full hook up and only plan to hook the black tank up for dumping when it is time to leave the camp site (Especially with a 20 Gallon Black tank).

Steve
Steve, I misunderstood.

I thought there was a grey tank from your post. So you'll just be draining into the tote. You can still use the bayonet fitting. Is is the fitting that has the nubs on it to accept a sewer hose.

You could get a sewer cap to go on the bayonet fitting with a hose connection then run a short hose to your tote tank.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #64
just jd.

2007 20' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Steve,
On the Air Conditioning unit issue, perhaps you'd be happy with a Fantastic Fan, instead?

Beefing up the structure and putting a beasty box on top of your beautiful rig might not be worth it. We've found our AC is uncomfortably loud, both outside and especially inside. We expect to run the Fantastic Fans (one in, one out) far more than the AC.

Of course, this is coming from someone sitting in relatively comfortable San Diego year round. It may be that AC is required equipment to some...

Cheers,
-jd.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:32 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Steve, I misunderstood.

I thought there was a grey tank from your post. So you'll just be draining into the tote.

You could get a sewer cap to go on the bayonet fitting with a hose connection then run a short hose to your tote tank.
If possible, I would like to bypass the tote, and have my grey water go directly into the sewer hole. I would just need to find a valterra fitting that fits my PVC pipe. Then I can hook the grey outlet directly to the sewer. The hose can do double duty and be used for the black tank when we are on the way out.

As for AC, it gets gosh darn ot and muggy here in Missouri. I am considering a window unit specially mounted in a window that was told to me by RideAir. I have also thought about fitting a portable room unit to vent out a window using a piece of plexiglas the size of the screen. No window blockage, and nice cool AC. If I had any experience mechanically I may try the split unit, but it would require much more extensive work and cost alot more money.

Here are some pics from the way rideair does his AC. He sets a window unit on the small table, and then places a piece of plexiglas around the AC unit edges. He then uses a type of screening to create the cover. It isn't completely opaque on the inside, but looks like it from here. This will serve the best of all worlds as I don't want to add a big unit on the roof.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC_Stand.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	37053   Click image for larger version

Name:	shot.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	37054  

Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Not a split and not a portable.

One of the products I found while surfing one night was an under bunk AC unit from Dometic. SoldierMedic and I exchanged email on this and I'm kinda keen on this as an AC solution for vintage trailers. NOT cheap that is for sure, but it does two things; 1.) no big box ontop or unit hanging out a window 2.) saves space by being located under a bunk versus a portable that takes up floor space.

Dometic Truck Products

I know money is not always free flowing, especially for vintage types who always have something to fix (Right Tim?)

HTH,

Mud

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #67
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow
One of the products I found while surfing one night was an under bunk AC unit from Dometic. SoldierMedic and I exchanged email on this and I'm kinda keen on this as an AC solution for vintage trailers. NOT cheap that is for sure, but it does two things; 1.) no big box ontop or unit hanging out a window 2.) saves space by being located under a bunk versus a portable that takes up floor space.
I'm also of the mind to not retro fit an A/C box on top of the trailer in a vintage rig. There is a challenge in smaller rigs (i.e., less than 19') to find a space inside to install a self contained unit like you mentioned. I know in my 17' Bambi II, I don't have any place to locate a unit like that. But I like it and will think about using it in my 22' FC. Thanks for the link. Any idea on what pricing would be?

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:50 AM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
i recall

I think it was about $2300 for the unit, less any accessories like vent grills.

For you FC it would be perfect, just need to plan for it under a bunk.

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 08:49 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Well, Steve and his wife just left for the final leg on the trip home with thier Caravanner. Wow is it beautiful!!

They are a great couple and I am sure they will have fun camping now. I will let Steve post the details when he gets home. God's speed and a safe trip home to them.....
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:42 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rivet Master: Mission Accomplished

Hello All,

For my 500th post, I will bring you photos and the story of the journey that brought my 56 Caravanner from Michigan to Missouri.

Amy and I decided to leave on Friday evening to break the trip into a few days. I had not driven this long of a haul for quite some time, and didn't know how Amy or I would take to the long trip (being only our second long trip on the road together). We departed St. Louis, MO at 6 PM Friday and made it all the way to South Haven, MI just after midnight central time.

This was the final weekend of the Tulip Festival in nearby Holland, MI and hotel rooms were slim pickings (Smoking Rooms for $130/Night). I was able to find a room at the comfort in that gladly gave me the room at the government rate of $64.00 (Thank you military I.D.). The hotel made out great considering we were there for only 6 hours overall.

The next morning we made our way quickly to Grand Rapids, MI and hit a major detour since there was an Olymipic qualifier race. I called Gregg the P.O. and was given instructions how to circumvent the traffic. We arrived at his home shortly after, and had to squint as we pulled into his barn area where our trailer was due to the trailers high luster.

We toured the coach and saw everything that had been done to it. There are a few things that will need to be done to make it homey, and more functional, but I can handle that. We pulled it up the hill and Amy and I began going through old interior parts for useful pieces. After about an hour, David Winick showed up and showed us a few more things dealing with electrical.

For some reason, I stepped out of my car with my lights still on and noticed that the running lights were not working. This was a concern because I couldn't travel at night or in bad weather. David and Gregg brought out a trickle charger and tried to figure out what was going on. Unfortunately, they were unable to figure it out. The 7-Pin head on my umbilical is not removable with a set screw, and is a single molded piece. My brake lights, 4-ways, and turn signals all worked, but nothing else. The brakes had not been wired in this trailer (Imagine my suprize).

After messing with the running lights over an hour we called it quits. The wiring is all new, and there is no reason for it to be messed up. After this, Amy and I were offered a chance to visit David's shop just down the road from Gregg's house. Realizing that we had the opportunity to see where one of the greatest Airstream restoration geniuses did his handywork, we graciously accepted. We toured David's shop and soon got back on the road.

Due to the wiring problems with the trailer, I knew I would not be able to make it back to St. Louis before dark. We accepted an offer from Till to courtesy park in his driveway. To my delight, he is also well versed in electronics, and trailer wiring. To my dissapointment, we were unable to figure out why the running lights were not operational. Till thinks it may have something to do with my tail lights having a brake, turn, and running light in tham, and that the trailer may be getting overridden by the vehicle lights. I have no idea, but we need to figure something out, and fix it soon.
Till and his family were very hospitable and were extremely pleasant. We felt that we had an excellent first experience with courtesy parking.

We left Till's home around 0830 and made it home to St. Louis just after 2 PM. I then unloaded the vehicle, set the trailer up in the driveway, and mowed the grass (It was getting scary).

I have a few other posts to add after this because I have alot of pictures.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	aspal.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	37268   Click image for larger version

Name:	vin.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	37269