Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2007, 09:12 AM   #21
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I travel I-10 often (work related) from Phoenix to Parker or Tucson. I find that the truck part of these areas are always full in the early (7:00am) morning. Mostly truckers and a few RV's. On a recent trip from 29 Palms (frozen tundra) I also noticed that these areas start to fill up around 8:00 pm.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Florida

We have traveled from Florida to maine in the motorhome - gone now- for a smaller AS. We stop at most rest stops to stretch and most have signs that tell you the rule as you enter. florida has 24 hr. security.
WE have stayed in a lot of cracker barrels, some truck stops, never a wal mart although they have security. We now look for a camp site where we can plug in.
IF it is hot and you run the generator on fuel at these prices you spend more then if you paid for a night in a camp ground.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:20 AM   #23

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
This past summer, on our way to New England, we happened to stop at the Petro Truck Plaza on I-81 near Scranton, Pennsylvania. It was fairly late in the evening and we planned to rest for a few hours. We were pleasantly supprised to find that they have 30 amp RV electric hook-ups. They charge $10 ($9 with the Good Sam discount). We spent the night and enjoyed our air conditioning. We felt secure and were lulled to sleep by the rumble od idling semis. We liked it so much, we have now spent four nights there. We sure wish more trucks stops had this feature.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
This past summer, on our way to New England, we happened to stop at the Petro Truck Plaza on I-81 near Scranton, Pennsylvania. It was fairly late in the evening and we planned to rest for a few hours. We were pleasantly supprised to find that they have 30 amp RV electric hook-ups. They charge $10 ($9 with the Good Sam discount). We spent the night and enjoyed our air conditioning. We felt secure and were lulled to sleep by the rumble od idling semis. We liked it so much, we have now spent four nights there. We sure wish more trucks stops had this feature.
Don't they have dump stations, too?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:42 AM   #25
_

. , .
Quote:
hey moosetags,

great information!

so good it needs to be linked to the "fuel stops" thread.
here...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ops-19568.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Has anyone stopped at Iowa 80? World's largest truck stop? It has a doctor, dentist, barber,a chaplain, a theater, weather center, deluxe shower rooms, guest laundry, huge restaurant and gift shop, convenience store, displays and the largest assessory shop I have seen. There is a big semi in the showroom completely painted with a wrap around mural of the United States complete with landmarks pictured and roadside scenes. It's definitely a place to stop and look around. I think there is parking for some 800 trucks.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:34 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Has anyone stopped at Iowa 80?
Hi Carol:

I always spend the night there if I arrive or am passing by during the evening. It's a long one day drive from Denver to Walcott, IA., but if I can make it I'm tired enough to deserve a sound night's sleep. The food is quite good and the truck accessory shop is superb! I usually just crash in the parking lot. I met founder Bill Moon many years ago at ATHS conventions; he was a delight. His daughter now runs the place. It's one of my favorite overnight stops.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Not expecting anything out of the ordinary when I pulled in I was astonished by the facilities. It's like road stop heaven. Even I had fun walking up and down the giant isles of working lights and pieces of chrome and mud flap designs. Your friends have a great place on their hands. It is a city unto itself. I am definitely stopping the next trip past. I was there on a Sunday and chapel had just let out, someone was giving me a tour and doing intros and there was a fire going and a grand buffet line with people waiting to get in. On the way back from Salem they were having a fair with tents and entertainment and beauty contest, but it was two days in the future when I was by, darn. I would have loved to have seen that!

photography
Old 02-13-2007, 04:30 PM   #29
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Carol,
I have stopped there. The place is huge! Last time I stopped there there was this cute guy who pulled in next to me in an another Diesel F-250. I was so hoping he would ask for my number! Too Bad. Oh well as least i have good memories of my last stop.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 04:49 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Michelle sounds like you were wheel interested for awhile. Something about a pick-up man or would it be a man with 18 wheels. You Free Wheelers have all the fun.

photography
Old 02-13-2007, 06:17 PM   #31
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Window Dressing

I wanted the truck he was just the dressing. It had 4 wheels.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 06:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
... we happened to stop at the Petro Truck Plaza on I-81 near Scranton, Pennsylvania. ...They charge $10 ($9 with the Good Sam discount).... We sure wish more trucks stops had this feature.

Thanks for the tip, moosetags. I wish CAMPGROUNDS had this feature, a fair price for a brief stopover, instead of charging full price for a few hours sleep. If that were the case, I would never spend another night at a rest stop, Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, or a truck stop. The last time I was passing through Pennsylvania, we were looking for a campground to spend the night - 7 hours max. We called two of them, and they wanted $36 and $42 respectively, for two people (kids over 16 and guests were $5 extra). We stayed at a Wal-Mart in Harleyville [with permission from the manager, who took the time to direct us to the quietest spot)
Until campgrounds can offer something reasonable, they lose.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #33

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRanger
Thanks for the tip, moosetags. I wish CAMPGROUNDS had this feature, a fair price for a brief stopover, instead of charging full price for a few hours sleep. If that were the case, I would never spend another night at a rest stop, Wal-Mart, Cracker Barrel, or a truck stop. The last time I was passing through Pennsylvania, we were looking for a campground to spend the night - 7 hours max. We called two of them, and they wanted $36 and $42 respectively, for two people (kids over 16 and guests were $5 extra). We stayed at a Wal-Mart in Harleyville [with permission from the manager, who took the time to direct us to the quietest spot)
Until campgrounds can offer something reasonable, they lose.
You make an excellent point. every campground should offer overnight electric hook-ups for RVers passing through for about 10 or 15 dollars.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote