Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
It is Tuesday. But we can "pretend" it is Thursday~

I love my airstream because she took us to Disneyland! We had a great time. First time without kids. Warm weather (ahhhhhhhh) nice break!

On our way back we stopped off in San Francisco and saw our son, had a great time too!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (Claudia)
Where did you stay at Disneyland? We have discussed a cross country trip that would end in souther California and would include a couple of days at Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure. We may stay in the new Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel, but we might stay in a campground if there is a nice one there.

Also, where did you stay in San Francisco? How convenient was it to the City?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Staying "camping" at Disneyland

Well,

Unless you are a glutton for punishment and a very brave motorist... camping near Disneyland isn't like it used to be! At one time Disneyland had a RV park that was a Disney "connection". It worked really nicely. You could stay at the RV park, ride a little free tram to the Disneyland Hotel and use the special entrance for hotel guests. It is gone. Now it is a big multi-story parking lot.

We did an online search for RV parks. Found one a short distance away. I would have to look on receipts to remember the place, but they advertised they were the "closest" to Disneyland. Although the people were nice, it was small, crowded, and expensive. We paid something like $55 a night for a space. (Yes, all the hookups...) The spaces were so small there was no way to stay hooked up with our Bambi, we had to park our truck in an adjacent spot! The spot we stayed said they had WiFi.... but we got a whole "one bar" and it was one of those unsecured fly by night online thingys that you pay $5 a hour for! They also sold us tickets to ride a shuttle (that we never saw...) that would take us the 1/2 mile to the Disneyland entrance.... we wound up riding the City Bus which had better hours of operation, was only 50 cents a trip rather than the $3 a day for the other we never saw....

I found WiFi at the cheapie Motel just down the block and they let me sit in their lobby and use it free... The motel (something like Days Inn or one of those chains...) was only $59 a night. Our RV space was nearly that! Traffic while pulling a trailer in the LA basin isn't for the faint of heart! We arrived on Sunday early afternoon and the traffic wasn't too scary, but I think it was a fluke. We left on a workday and traffic was heavy and only stop and go in a few places. We asked the city bus driver the best routes to take out of town and I think he gave us good directions... he knew the roads and traffic! His basic line was the best time to travel is between 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m. As soon as 4:15 a.m. arrives, however, commuters begin.

I must say winter time is the best for Disneyland. We hadn't been there in about 12+ years, and several rides were closed for rennovation, but there were no lines to speak of, the weather was lovely, and we had a great time there other than getting in and out of LA basin. The good news is gasoline prices were 50 cents a gallon or more cheaper than anything else we paid in California! Our gas here is $2.97.9 a gal, but in LA it was around $2.53.

If you haven't been to Southern California be prepared to pay extra for nearly everything. Food prices at Disneyland are expensive for junk type food (Hamburger $8) but you can have a relatively nice meal and sit down at one of their cafeteria type restaurants for about $11-13 and the food is usually tasty. We had a 3 day pass and it was enough for us to see most everything we wanted to see. In the summer when it is crowded, it wouldn't be enough time.

If I were traveling from another area, I might be tempted to park my trailer at a nice safe RV Park at the next destination... drive back with my auto (tow vehicle) and stay at a motel/hotel close to the park. It would be more expensive, but less tiring. You won't want to prepare meals, etc. when you return to your Airstream, you will eat out anyway. You will be tired! You will walk a mile from the entrance to the amusement park area nearly anyway! (It seems that way... isn't actually...)

Southern Cal folks may have much better suggestions as they would be much more in the know. The times we went previously we usually flew and just stayed at the Disneyland Hotel. Once we stayed at their RV park (15 years ago...) and it was great, but as I said earlier, it is gone. I think all in all a good package deal is the best bet.

I was in Disneyland the first year it was opened in 1955. Changed a great deal.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (Traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
SF accommodations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Where did you stay at Disneyland?
Minnie's Mate:

In a previous posting in this thread I listed info on Disneyland... I would go for the hotel stay....

San Francisco does not have any RV accommodations that are even what I consider "close" to the city. There is RV parking/camping at old Candlestick Park which is on the bay (in what is referred to as South San Francisco) in an asphalt parking lot. Horribly windy there. Public transportation is sketchy unless Bart happens to stop nearby, I haven't looked at the schedule. It wasn't an option for us.

We stayed at Pacifica at a RV Park called the San Francisco RV Park (something like that...) It was $54.00 a night with a AAA discount. They had amenities, but it still was a asphalt lot. Good drive thrus, etc. It is a real disadvantage as you have to drive to SF and finding parking in SF is very difficult if your tow vehicle is larger than a mini-cooper! Not to mention parking is usually about $18 to $25 a day. Most pick up trucks will not fit in the parking garages!

The next nearest RV Park is at Half Moon Bay. They have a great state park (probably only electricity/water and dump station) that has trees, etc. and is fairly close to the beach. But it is an hour from SF driving time. We haven't been there in about 3 years, so I don't know what the going rate is.

If you are going thru SF for just the day with your Airstream, a good place to hang out is at the Presidio. You can find parking for your tow vehicle and trailer there as long as they aren't having some kind of event. But this will be for daytime use only. There would be public transportation within a fairly decent walking distance at the wharf area. However, you will have to navigate through the streets and steep hills of the city to get there. If you are familiar with San Francisco there are routes that aren't too bad... if you make a wrong turn you may find yourself at a stop sign on the upward slope of a very steep hill with your Airstream behind you! Stopping isn't bad, it is the starting back up the hill without someone right behind you!

Another place to hang out in SF with your Airstream is near the Cliff House. Up around the corner from the Cliff House is a small parking lot across the street from a little cafe just overlooking where Sutro Baths used to be. I wouldn't leave my 'stream unattended there, however. You might also find parking (if lucky) near the Palace of Fine Arts or in Golden Gate Park if you are there fairly early in the morning before the crowds arrive.

There are some camping places on Hwy 1 on the Sausalito side of the bay, China Camp has interesting camping near Tiberon, but I am not sure if it is only for tents... haven't been there in about 10 years.

None of the camping is close and you will have to decide if you want to leave your Airstream unattended and take your tow vehicle into town, or park at a BART station (Some are safer than others...) so you can actually get around! Public transportation is the only way to go in the city. Taxi's work and aren't horribly priced and usually are available. The city bus system is very inexpensive and reliable and even though you may see people with alternative life styles I have always felt safe on them. BART is great, but doesn't go everywhere.

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 02-09-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
San Francisco!

Thanks to the moderator (Steph) who helped move this info to its own thread!

Here is a picture of us pulling our Bambi across The Golden Gate as we were leaving San Francisco!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Golden Gate Bridge Crossing.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	32090  
Old 02-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
Mpg...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaddyGrn
Well,

Unless you are a glutton for punishment and a very brave motorist... there wouldn't be enough time in the world for me to explain it all in just one novel.
Mrs. NorCal Bambi (Traveling in S Tardis)
hi,

what was you average gas milage uphill?

downhill?

on a flat surface?

what was your average cost of gasoline per gallon?

kevbo
Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Where did you stay at Disneyland? We have discussed a cross country trip that would end in souther California and would include a couple of days at Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure. We may stay in the new Grand Californian or Disneyland Hotel, but we might stay in a campground if there is a nice one there.

Minnie's Mate,

Probably the nicest campground in OC is the Newport Dunes. They have a web site and are less than 20 miles from Disneyland. You can check their site for prices, vary depending on time of day. Vintage Vacations holds their annual Vintage Trailer rally there in May. There are several city, county and state parks in OC, but with the exception of a couple of state parks are all dry camping There are also a couple of private parks near Disneyland, but with the price of land they are disappearing. Both Disneyland hotels are very nice and very expensive, there are many motels nearby with more reasonable rates. This area is not at all like DisneyWorld in Florida.

If you need anything else, please ask. We live about five miles from Disneyland and hear the fireworks every night. I am an Orange County native.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 11:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Sf

Let me chime in about the SF stay...San Francisco is not RV friendly, BART does not go near Candlestick Park and it's far from the things you'd want to do. For a good visit to SF you don't need a car, but with an RV it's especially difficult. Maybe find some kind of parking outside of the city and take a car and BART in for some day trips.

Someday when our trailer is towable we'll have courtesy parking here, we can just pull ours to my parents' huge backyard and let others park in the driveway. We are a 20 minute BART ride or a gorgeous 45 minute ferry ride over to SF and we've got all the dirt on what to do and how to do it.

But for now, if you show up here, you'll be put to work fixing up our rig!

I hope you do decide to make the trip out to California anyway, and if you come to the Northern California area (still south of CaddyGrn and Norcal Bambi!) come say hi!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
I found this

I was surfing and found this. Might help someone?

San Francisco RV Resort - RESORT

ingrid
Old 02-11-2007, 12:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
SF"Resort"

Yup, that is where we stayed! It is the "closest" to the city. Okay as far as asphalt lots go. We stayed as far back as we could towards the ocean. I think I have a photo I can post below!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SF Resort at Pacificajpg.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	32174  
Old 02-11-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Gas mileage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
hi,

what was you average gas milage uphill?

downhill?

on a flat surface?

what was your average cost of gasoline per gallon?

kevbo
Well, when we left Northern California heading down I-5 (all downhill...) we also had a strong tailwind... we made 22 miles per gallon pulling our Bambi! Didn't check the mileage in LA area or SF. Most gas when we went was about $2.80 per gallon for the middle grade. Some places higher, some lower (a tiny bit). Today gas in Yreka is $3.09 a gallon.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:42 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Another SF View

When we were in San Francisco with our trailer we spent the morning at the Presidio. Later we left and here is a shot viewing alcatraz at a roadside pull off spot. Very nice day.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Overlooking SF Presidio Jan 07 small.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	32175  
Old 02-11-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Half Moon Bay State Park and its campground

Half Moon Bay SP's campground is another good place to be, no hook-ups that I can remember and a little drive away from the City by the Bay, but we loved it. Quarter-operated showers.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=531

From there take HWY 1 up north, pass Pacifica, up a hill, and there it is, Ocean Beach of SF. To the northern end of Ocean Beach is the Cliff House mentioned by CaddyGrn, and Presidio and so on.

In Pacifica there's an old Safeway (probably updated now but I haven't been there in 5 years), on the west side (sea side) of the highway. In that shopping complex there is a deli shop called Columbo's. Great Italian subs of different combinations. It'd be worth a stop for some subs and a couple bottles of wine, some cheese, to be brought back to the beach.

Ricky
roamingwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
strange

This area is so beautiful and there is so much to see, It's a shame there isn't an RV park or a campground that's centrally located in the SF/Oakland area for visitors to come and see the city. Almost makes me want to fight to develop the local abandoned railroad tracks right near my house into an Airstreamer park. People could stay for free in exchange for working on my rig a few feet away in my driveway!

However real estate is at such a premium here I doubt we'll ever see an urban campground, only condos and houses. We have people fighting over parking even in the suburbs.

If anyone is here in the neighborhood, please stop by and I'll be happy to play tourguide. Or call if you're in a pickle and need help while traveling.

CaddyGrn, I would have loved to zip over there to have a visit on the Presidio with you in your trailer!

It looks like you had a great time.

Hey roamingwesty; next time we're zipping by to Reno/Tahoe, can I come by and see your '68?

ingrid
Old 02-11-2007, 11:50 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
We'll do it next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
This area is so beautiful and there is so much to see, It's a shame there isn't an RV park or a campground that's centrally located in the SF/Oakland area for visitors to come and see the city.

CaddyGrn, I would have loved to zip over there to have a visit on the Presidio with you in your trailer!
Pinkflamingoes,

We did have a good time! Our son lives in the city and he and his ladyfriend joined us for brunch in Bambi while viewing the bay... next time we will see how many more we can get inside!

FYI, about 12 years ago or so there used to be a RV park right in downtown SF. I think there is a high rise there now... we stayed there a couple of times. It wasn't too far from Market, one could walk and catch the bus or BART. Too bad it is gone.... I doubt that SF will ever be RV friendly, the streets just wouldn't be able to handle trailers! Going up and down the hills is interesting too... It would be nice if there was something, however, near the Cliff House or something! Oh well, when we win the lottery....

Maybe we could turn part of Alameda Naval Station into a nice RV park?!

Old 02-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Hey now there's an idea; the company that was going to develop it pulled out of the project recently so it's going to sit for a long time now. (No skin off my nose!) There was also a rally there recently, and the ferry to Jack London Square and SF leaves from right outside of the gate as you probably know. And it's flat!

If one of us wins the lottery let's do it!

ingrid
Old 02-12-2007, 12:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Lottery here we come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Hey now there's an idea; the company that was going to develop it pulled out of the project recently so it's going to sit for a long time now. (No skin off my nose!) There was also a rally there recently, and the ferry to Jack London Square and SF leaves from right outside of the gate as you probably know. And it's flat!

If one of us wins the lottery let's do it!
Your on! And we can turn one of the "bigger" buldings into a nice restoration bay for yours... and my next half dozen...

Claudia
Old 02-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Would you believe as I learn more and more that I'm anticipating another restoration after this one is done? We'll see what the reality is however.

Sleep tight!

ingrid
Old 02-12-2007, 07:29 AM   #18
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Claudia, Don,

I simply can not believe that you would come to SoCal and not check in with me....Area 63 is about 5min from Disneyland. Was it something I said?
Old 02-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #19
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
uwe- hello - are you saying you have overnite parking? We could flip flop on that one. One nite in the warehouse for a week in the vinyard! Tim

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #20
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
uwe- hello - are you saying you have overnite parking? We could flip flop on that one. One nite in the warehouse for a week in the vinyard! Tim
Tim,

It's a working warehouse, but if that does not bother you, then come on down. It's got 30A, but no water or sewer hookups ( yet)