Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2004, 10:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Should I install AC myself?

I have a 68 GlobeTrotter that needs AC. I want to install a 13,500 BTU Penguin. I am very mechanical oriented but do not want to get into something I will regret. Factory says I am pre-wired and I see a loose wire hanging next to the fuse box.
I am concerned about how to do the bracing and the exact location to cut. Anyone out there done this before? Tips, ideas and if anyone has cutting specs for a GT, that would be even better.

Thanks everyone.

Bryan
Bryanhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:03 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
Get the Airstream adapter

Airstream sells an adapter that allows the flat bottom of the Penguin to fit the curved roof of the Airstream. If you haven't gotten that, you will need it. It costs around $85.

When I had mine installed, the installer put a wood frame, 14"x14" between the outer and inner aluminum sheets for rigidity. You also have to have the drain to carry away the condensate. There are others who can give you the location for the hole. Andy of Inlandrv is the best source of that kind of info.

I had mine installed. They had to use a forklift to raise the unit up to the top to keep from damaging the trailer.

Good luck.

Vic
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
nds
3 Rivet Member

boltos installed his Penguin himself on his 22 Ft. Safari. He got the location from Andy (Inland RV). All the wiring and condensation drain hose was already there.

Perhaps boltos will reply to this, but be careful when cutting the hole in the roof. He went too deep and happened to cut the wires. So, he had to deal with first, re-splicing those back together. Getting the condensation hose (within the AC unit) routed correctly prior to placing the interior cover back on is important too. He was getting a drip from his and this was corrected by the technicians at Airstream (Jackson Center) when he had it up there in the Winter Program for some other repairs. All they did was reroute the condensation hose, which apparently was getting a kink in it when placing the interior cover back on.

As startrekker2001 said, "Airstream sells an adapter that allows the flat bottom of the Penguin to fit the curved roof of the Airstream. If you haven't gotten that, you will need it. It costs around $85."

You'll want to go ahead and get this before you start.
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Penguin

Bryan,

I haven't put mine in yet, but I do have the instruction set from Penguin.

You can order the drain pan from your local dealer, shipped direct from A/S to your house. Mine cost $71 including shipping and sales tax.

Here is the link to Penguin instructions
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote