Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Marketplace > Commercial Listings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Converters On Sale

For the rest of February, we will discount the Inteli-Power PD9160 with the Charge Wizard to $179.95 plus $14 Shipping to Airstreamforum.com members. Purchase must be over the phone or PayPal direct as our website is not set up for discounts. Also we have a few of the Parallax 7455 that Airstream uses at the same price. Both are still $233 or more at RV dealers and Camping World. Mention the forum for the discount. 888-828-1893 seven days a week.
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Randy,
Do they work pretty much like the Uni-Volt ?
What about noise?
Old 02-10-2004, 04:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Hi Uwe,
Yes, they convert AC to DC and provide battery charging. I'm VERY familiar with the loud hum of the old converters (Univolt) and these are virtually silent.
Randy
Old 02-10-2004, 06:38 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Converter Sale

Randy:

How easy is it to perform the switch-out of the Uni-Volt to the Intellipower? I have contemplated making the switch but do not know whether this is something that I should attempt or not (I am somewhat handy but not a complete do-it-yourself'er). Is there a diagram/swchematic provided that is easily understood?

Montanaandy
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:04 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Hi Montanaandy,
Depending on which type you have. If you have the type converter (Univolt) that plugs into a duplex with terminals to connect the positive and negitive from the battery/distribution panel, it should be a 10 minute job. If you have the type with built-in fuse panel, you will need to keep the fuse panel portion and wire it to the new converter. Most RV dealers will be able to do it for you and Airstream dealers do it all of the time. I think somebody has posted the instructions for the conversion.
Randy
Old 02-19-2004, 08:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

I ordered one from Randy last Friday, and the sales assistant, Laura, told me the unit would arrive on Tuesday. It did, and I fitted it yesterday morning. The trailer is wierdly silent. When more than 12 amps is drawn, perhaps in the evening when the furnace is running and lights are on, the cooling fan in the Intellipower comes on for a few seconds about every 15 minutes. The fan is very quiet. Yesterday evening, Laura phoned to check that the unit had arrived safely and all was well. How's that for service? The only complication with my install was that the existing heavy cables to the Univolt were very short. I needed to drill out the rivets holding the case together, so that I could cut the wires inside the unit to gain 6 inches of cable. I removed the couch (2 bolts), in order to make this drilling easier. The small third wire to the Univolt is cut off and capped with a wire nut. This is for the power-on light for the 120 volt system. I use a plug-in voltmeter in the galley area, so do not miss this indicator. The Charge Wizard has an adhesive backing, and I secured this in the corner of the trailer behind the couch, concealed from immediate view, but visible by looking over the corner of the couch. The Charge Wizard has a manual overide facility, and an LED to indicate the current charging rate. The unit has been a worthwhile improvement. Nick.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
We will continue the sale of the Inteli-Power PD9160 with Charge Wizard to forum members until further notice. Same price for the PPC 7455(MagneTek) if you prefer that unit. Shipping is $14 and it will be at your door in 2-3 days for less than $200. Mention the forum when you call. Thanks to all of you that have upgraded already.
Randy
Old 03-23-2004, 05:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Hi Rog,
Send me a PM if you need some rivets.
Randy
Old 05-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #9
Don McKelvay

1994 34' Limited
London , Ontario
Univolt vs Inellli Power

Hi Randy,

It seems you know what you are talking about so here goes. I have a 1994 Airstream with a Univolt (Magna-Tek 50 Amp Series 900 Model 950-2-4). I believe Univolts put in Airstreams are not really the best for charging our batteries as they are not 3 stage chargers - is that correct? If so why would Airstream continue to install them when apparently the Intelli Power converters are 3 stage and better? I also believe that I was told the Univolt system does not put out enough voltage (over 14 volts) to properly charge a battery. Would I be much better of installing an Inellli Power converter and a Charge Wizard or could I achieve almost the same by simply adding a Charge Wizard (if that is possible) to my Magna-Tek?

Looking forward to your reply.
Don
Don McKelvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #10
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don McKelvay
Hi Randy,

It seems you know what you are talking about so here goes. I have a 1994 Airstream with a Univolt (Magna-Tek 50 Amp Series 900 Model 950-2-4). I believe Univolts put in Airstreams are not really the best for charging our batteries as they are not 3 stage chargers - is that correct? If so why would Airstream continue to install them when apparently the Intelli Power converters are 3 stage and better? I also believe that I was told the Univolt system does not put out enough voltage (over 14 volts) to properly charge a battery. Would I be much better of installing an Inellli Power converter and a Charge Wizard or could I achieve almost the same by simply adding a Charge Wizard (if that is possible) to my Magna-Tek?

Looking forward to your reply.
Don
Don, not to butt in or anything, but my Univolt has been working very well for many years. It is noisy and heavy, but does a very good job of keeping my battery charged, and supplying power to the lights etc. when hooked up.
I am sure that the Intelli-power is a very fine charger, especially with the charge wizard, but my experience with the Uni-Volt has be a good one.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Don,
A three stage charger is almost always preferred for charging and especially maintaining your batteries but if your not having any problems, then it comes down to piece of mind I suppose. A three stage charger such as the PD has the boost mode of 14.4 volts which is good if you do any dry camping and need a fairly rapid recharge when you hook back up to shore power. Normal mode is 13.6 and storage mode or float charge is 13.2 after extended period of non-use. I had the same model you have in my 94 before I sold it and I hated it because it would boil my batteries (probably defective as the batteries were new and topped off). I never had a problem with the PD. The Parallax (formerly Magnetek) 7455 is a suitable replacement but it’s not a three stage and it won’t accept the Charge Wizard.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:06 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Smile

Randy

Just ordered the PD9160/w Charge Wizard.
Thanks for the sale price to forum members!

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:11 AM   #13
Rivet Master

My Intellipower is making some strange noises, after about 10 months of use. There is a sound as if someone is drumming their fingers inside the unit. (I haven't checked, but it would have to be a very small person. It is apparent that the cooling fan is attempting to start, but immediately failing, and then trying to do this every few seconds. If I increase the load by switching on another 12v light, the fan comes on, and the fan cycles normally. I would have assumed that there was a latching mechanism to ensure a minimum period of fan use, when the temperature of the unit marginally called for the cooling fan to operate. Either there is, and it is not working, or there is no such latch. I called the Intellipower Tech Support, but the lady on the phone could not explain why this was happening, or even whether this was a fault, or a feature. Has anyone else any experience of this? The unit did not display this tendency when new. Nick.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #14
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Nick - noticed you posted this yesterday, but no one responded. Would like to know if you figure out what the problem is w/your intellipower. We are planning on replacing our old converter this next year and had talked about the Intellipwer, but certainly don't want to end up w/something that goes kaput in 10 mo. If no one else responds negatively, maybe you just got a lemon and need to see about replacement? (still under warranty??), but would like to hear how you resolve it. Thanks.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:30 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We're going to also replace the old Univolt with the Intelli-power before the spring camping season. I hope having an intellipower acting up after 10mths is a fluke! Hey, any chance there's going to be another sale on Intelli-powers in February?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

The intellipower is warranted for 2 years. I'll phone Intellipower (Progressive Dynamics) again, hopefully when I can transmit the sound over a phone line. I really need to know whether this is a "feature" or a "fault". Last night it was attempting to start the fan at a rate of more than once a second, for a long period until I changed the load. As I'm full-timing, I can't afford to be without it for investigations. I'll keep you informed. Nick.
Old 12-11-2004, 09:27 AM   #17
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Nick - this was a part of a long explanation about installing the Intellipower that I saw in the "Best Converter" website listed above. It was at the very end of the series. Don't know if it might have anything to do w/your problem, but maybe???? so I will post here for you. It was in the part of the website talking about converting from Magnatex (Univolt) to the Intellipwer w/Chg. Wizard.

"Return the access cover and fully test the new charger/converter unit! It is important to verify that the unit switches through its various modes of operation and performs per the manufacturers instructions. Also, it is the responsibility of the installer to assure that proper cooling is achieved. I cannot claim to provide a “fool proof” method for everyone’s particular installation, but I think that the unit’s own cooling fan operation can provide you with some helpful insight. When the unit is under a heavy load, the cooling fan will routinely cycle on/off to prevent over temperature. I achieved a “heavy” load by discharging the battery and switching on several overhead lights (I even switch the refrigerator to DC mode for a while). If the fan stays on for any lengthy time period or is on when the “loading” is somewhat “light”, this is a clear indication that the unit is not receiving the proper ventilation. Good luck and happy trails."

David Dressler

PS Stephanie - I think (but will ck) that the sale is ongoing. If you mention you are a member of ASForums, you get the sale price.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 08:29 AM   #18
Rivet Master

David, thank you for that. I have received the following e-mail reply from Progressive Dynamics:
"Sounds like the fan is right on the verge of startup. Since the fan is on
demand and comes on when the heatsink reaches a certain temperature, when you turn on a 12 vdc load and it changes the temp. of the heatsink enough to start the fan but not completely. I am not saying that there is nothing wrong with your converter though and being as though it is less than 1 year old you can return it to the place of purchase for a replacement. It is possible that another unit will react differently."

As it is also possible that a replacement will behave in the same manner, I will treat it as a "feature" for now, rather than a fault, but I will minitor it closely. I will also look to see if I can improve the ventilation. Nick.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:05 PM   #19
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Got mine working, too!

I recently installed the PD9169 with charge wizard in my 1963 Overlander.
Nice install, everything seems to work as advertised!